Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 minute ago, picicata said:

Have you considered Unai maybe happy with this deal?

Impossible. We’ve had our pants pulled down. Can’t possibly be any other outcome. 

It's a terrible deal and makes no sense at all.

We are losing our only available proper CM and replacing him with a player who will hopefully never get in the 11 and left sided midfielder when we already have Ramsey, Buendia, Rogers there. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AndyM3000 said:

It's a terrible deal and makes no sense at all.

We are losing our only available proper CM and replacing him with a player who will hopefully never get in the 11 and left sided midfielder when we already have Ramsey, Buendia, Rogers there. 

We’ve also freed up a ton of space to make a big signing if we wanted to. And FFP would no longer be breathing down our necks. Assuming this actually happens, let’s wait and see what the rest of the window entails before losing our minds. 

Again, what if, hear me out, Dougie wanted to leave or Unai wanted to cash in and build a different squad? I think it’s just silly given our infrastructure to completely write off the rationale for this.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

If I were Unai I'd sack Monchi off given this poor deal for Luiz. Did terrible business at Roma too by all accounts. 

Unai would have signed the deal off. 

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Again, what if, hear me out, Dougie wanted to leave or Unai wanted to cash in and build a different squad? I think it’s just silly given our infrastructure to completely write off the rationale for this.

Very logical train of thought. So, we'll have less of that and more hyperbole please 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Shame. Really liked Dougie as a player, lots of quality about him on and off the pitch. 

Off the pitch maybe? On the pitch apart from one pass with the outside of his boot and scoring from a corner his overall contribution has been generally ineffective!

I could never see the love on here for him no matter how much I watched him. I always felt that Villa's midfield was the weakest part of the team and too easily overrun when playing a physical side.

After the last game of the season Emery commented on Palace's power implying Villa couldn't deal with it.

While I'm unsure about the quality of player involved in the deal from Juve both players will bring more physicality to Villa's midfield and maybe that is Emery's plan?

Most fans tend to go misty eyed concerning a player that has been with their club for a very long time yet fail to see the overall.

If it isn't media bollocks then trust in a manager that has Villa in the Champions League!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Likewise I also don’t understand it. The amount of financial guff on Twitter is mostly bullshit and impossible to follow so if you genuinely have knowledge of why this is good please do share

The deal will work like this. 

Juventus buy Luiz for €70m 

Aston Villa buy Weston McKennie for €30m on 5 year contract

Aston Villa buy Illing Junior for €20m on 5 year contract

In terms of our accounts (excluding salaries) this is a ~€65 profit on Luiz and then 6 + 4 = 10m per year cost in amortisation from new players.

So total PSR account benefit over a single account year = €55m

Edited by CVByrne
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Utter drivel @striker

The one big positive about him leaving is we won’t see your nonsense about Luiz in On Topic anymore.

Coming soon to a Juve message board near you...

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, striker said:

Off the pitch maybe? On the pitch apart from one pass with the outside of his boot and scoring from a corner his overall contribution has been generally ineffective!

I could never see the love on here for him no matter how much I watched him. I always felt that Villa's midfield was the weakest part of the team and too easily overrun when playing a physical side.

After the last game of the season Emery commented on Palace's power implying Villa couldn't deal with it.

While I'm unsure about the quality of player involved in the deal from Juve both players will bring more physicality to Villa's midfield and maybe that is Emery's plan?

Most fans tend to go misty eyed concerning a player that has been with their club for a very long time yet fail to see the overall.

If it isn't media bollocks then trust in a manager that has Villa in the Champions League!

He got 10 goals and 10 assists, that’s pretty good going for a central midfield player no?

But I agree in trusting the manager. Same as you, no clue on the Juve guys, but the youngster looks a bit good.

If the FFP money is off our back after this, the relative outrage needs to calm..yes I'm disappointed to lose Luiz, but:

1 Emery must be on board and see he can use the two new players.

2 Luiz not going to a PL team is a bonus

3 We now have room to spend again yes? So surely we may bring in one more player to mprove that area.

4 We haven't had to sell Ramsey.

5 We don't have idiots in charge. They won't make the team worse at the end of the window will they.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bobzy said:

If we didn’t want the players, we wouldn’t sign them.

Further, a good fee means we can spend relatively large again in the summer. 

Well I suppose there's a scenario where we would if we simply had to make a deal this month and we genuinely thought there'd be no other options. However, there's no particular evidence to think that's the case so I agree, we should treat it as if Emery wanted these two players, and as many people have said before, he's earned the right to be given the space to try to fit these two players - who fans should support - into his plans. 

Â