Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

15 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Illing jnr 15mill, Mckennie 20 mill +20 mill euro(17mill)

Thats 52 mill for Douglas Luiz. 

Just don't think that's enough. 

We need better players or more money or even 20% future sell inserted.

Yeah it seems a bit of an underwhelming deal to me!

But then I don't know how high the potential of Illing Jr is nor have I seen much of McKennie.

Can't help but feel underwhelmed though.

It’s quite amazing how both sets of fans feel they have been wronged here. 

I think Luiz is a great example of what we are aiming to do as a club. Buy young and relatively cheap. Develop the player while getting 4-5 years out of them then sell at the top of their value. Rinse and repeat.

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

He used him as a sub because he was open. Catch 22.

Nah he was an idiot who by signing players like Coutinho why we are selling Doug

Just now, Tom13 said:

Yeah it seems a bit of an underwhelming deal to me!

But then I don't know how high the potential of Illing Jr is nor have I seen much of McKennie.

Can't help but feel underwhelmed though.

Here's the one thing that people are missing in this deal I feel :

The owners do not need cash, the team does not need cash. They are willing to spend and go in red to grow the team. Ofc extra money helps but how much we receive from Luiz will not be a difference maker for us.

The only thing that matters is how PSR looks for us, and this deal means we can say Luiz actually gives us 85mn (30mn both players + 20mn). Ofc that's slightly offset by buying the 2 players so pure cash ofc would be better. But this is as good of a deal we can get for accounting reasons.

• Like 2

Probably get battered for this,

I love Dougie to pieces but this (unfortunately) makes sense, as unlike Chelsea, not being a Sky 6 club we aren't aloud to hoard players. 

1) He's struggled in the holding role without Kamara - Mckennie, although not a better player, is a better backup for Kamara. For Box to Box / 10 roles we have Tielemans, Mcginn, Ramsey, Buendia and Barkley (potentially).

2) We do struggle with physicality / mobility in the middle of the park without Kamara. Mckennie + Barkley are 6'1 - 6'2. 

3) We gain squad depth with a good fullback also coming into the club - which we also desperately need.

4) FFP

5) I'd rather he goes to Italy, than any PL rival.  For that, we will get less money. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Mantis said:

A lot of Juventus fans seem very pissed off with this deal so it can't be that bad.

Just asked a guy in Italy I work with. Big Juve fan. Proper gobo.

He's very happy with Luiz. Not bothered at all about the outgoings.

Also informed me McKennie does a silly harry potter wand celebration which concerns me deeply.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, pas5898 said:

I love Dougie to pieces but this (unfortunately) makes sense, as unlike Chelsea, not being a Sky 6 club we aren't aloud to hoard players. 

1) He's struggled in the holding role without Kamara - Mckennie, although not a better player, is a better backup for Kamara. For Box to Box / 10 roles we have Tielemans, Mcginn, Ramsey, Buendia and Barkley (potentially).

2) We do struggle with physicality / mobility in the middle of the park without Kamara. Mckennie + Barkley are 6'1 - 6'2. 

3) We gain squad depth with a good fullback also coming into the club - which we also desperately need.

4) FFP

5) I'd rather he goes to Italy, than any PL rival.  For that, we will get less money. 

I tend to agree but on the basis McKennie was really good this season at Juve because let’s face it., He was awful at Leeds.

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Just asked a guy in Italy I work with. Big Juve fan. Proper gobo.

He's very happy with Luiz. Not bothered at all about the outgoings.

Also informed me McKennie does a silly harry potter wand celebration which concerns me deeply.

2 years too late for a Gerrard ‘moment of magic’ 😂

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

4) FFP

1) Doug is not a holding midfielder, he's an 8 and flourished in the role until he was forced to play further back due to Kamara's injury.

2) Barkley will be a useful squad addition and relatively cheap but If were just signing players because they are tall i'd rather keep Dendoncker around than sign McKennie because he's useless.

3) Squad depth is good but we will be left with a huge hole and massive downgrade in centre of pitch, who's going to take set pieces and replace Doug's knowhow he knows the prem inside and out.

4) Rather take a point hit and stick 2 fingers up to FFP than lose one of our most influential players to such a derisory offer. Even with the points hit we will end up with more points keeping Doug than taking this deal. 

5) If we are forced to sell him i don't care where he goes i just want the money and no swap deal involving Juve's junk.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

I’m resigned to losing him now but I’ll be bitterly disappointed if we don’t sign a replacement of his quality or better before the window closes.  And no Tielemans, Barkley or McKennie is his replacement imo.  Tielemans was already here and the other two aren’t as good as Dougie, so we are missing that quality.

4 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

1) Doug is not a holding midfielder, he's an 8 and flourished in the role until he was forced to play further back due to Kamara's injury.

2) Barkley will be a useful squad addition and relatively cheap but If were just signing players because they are tall i'd rather keep Dendoncker around than sign McKennie because he's useless.

3) Squad depth is good but we will be left with a huge hole and massive downgrade in centre of pitch, who's going to take set pieces and Doug knows the prem inside and out.

4) Rather take a point hit and stick 2 fingers up to FFP than lose one of our most influential players to such a derisory offer. Even with the points hit we will end up with more points keeping Doug than taking this deal. 

5) If we are forced to sell him i don't care where he goes i just want the money and no swap deal involving Juve's junk.

It's not a derisory offer, it's an offer to maximize Luiz's value from accounting perspective to give us the most leeway from FFP perspective. Given the owners do not need cash and willing to put money in the team to grow, it's the lesser of two evils. 

4 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

3) Squad depth is good but we will be left with a huge hole and massive downgrade in centre of pitch, who's going to take set pieces and Doug knows the prem inside and out.

Donck couldn’t get in a Napoli team that finished 9th, whereas McKennie played nearly every game for Juve 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

He's a top player and we should be adding to the squad with Dougie in it, I'd love him to stay, however I'm finding myself not too bothered about it all.

Grealish was a huge loss at the time, a really special player for us, but we've moved forward without him and I have trust in the ownership and more importantly Unai that they know what they're doing.

Whoever we sign, despite how underwhelming their cv, Unai has a history of taking rag tag players and turning them into a team.

8 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

3) Squad depth is good but we will be left with a huge hole and massive downgrade in centre of pitch, who's going to take set pieces and replace Doug's knowhow he knows the prem inside and out.

6. Luiz wants to leave and hasnt signed the contract thats been on the table for months now

• Like 1

Â