Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

Sounds like a great deal.... (sarcasm alert!) Doug going to Juventus and two sh*te players from Juventus coming to us. That was the sort of deal of the Villa of old under Deadly Doug, I had hoped we were better than this now.

Hopefully this rumour is rubbish, unless we are that desperate to offload Dougie to meet some financial rule...

We can all agree that McKennie was awful for Leeds but who in that team wasn't? Jesse Marsch is up there with Stevie G in terms of being one of the most out of depth managers in Prem history. He had no tactical knowledge whatsoever so I would disregard McKennie's time there. By all accounts, he has had a very good season for Juve.

Iling Jr. is also one of the most sought after youngsters in Europe and he just so happens to play in a position that we need to strengthen and get younger at.

The only issue with the deal is the money involved. Anything less than £30m on top of the two players will be poor in my view.

I'm still on the don't sell Luiz wagon but I also think back to the Grealish sale and how that in a way funded our push to the Champions League. Any deal for Luiz could help solidify our CL position or even better it and I'd have faith that Monchi and Emery would use the money well.

Edited by PeterSw
Grammar

1 minute ago, PeterSw said:

We can all agree that McKennie was awful for Leeds but who in that team wasn't? Jesse Marsch is up there with Stevie G in terms of being one of the most out of his depth in the Prem. He had no tactical knowledge whatsoever so I would disregard McKennie's time there. By all accounts, he has had a very good season for Juve.

Iling Jr. is also one of the most sought after youngsters in Europe and he just so happens to play in a position that we need to strengthen and get younger at.

The only issue with the deal is the money involved. Anything less than £30m on top of the two players will be poor in my view.

I'm still on the don't sell Luiz wagon but I also think back to the Grealish sale and how that in a way funded our push to the Champions League. Any deal for Luiz could help solidify our CL position or even better it and I'd have faith that Monchi and Emery would use the money well.

Yeah you are right, I am a 66 year old fart who just supports the Villa and just want us to do well.😊

I trust Monchi and Emery to see current and future players and their potential, they are the experts at this sort of thing.

It is a bit disheartening though seeing good players having to leave to appear to just to satisfy some financial biased rules system.

• Like 1

We shouldn't be selling Luiz period. He has been for me our best player over the last 2 seasons, don't let a bit of poor form the end of last season detract from that. 

But if we did sell, he should be replaced in the squad by good players. I proposed Fofana and Gallagher and people weren't happy with that so I'm scratching my head if anyone thinks McKennie and Barkley as our 2 midfield replacements for Luiz are the answer. Barkley shouldn't be a starter for a team going for top 4 and neither should McKennie, fine to replace Iroegbunam and Chambers in the squad but not Luiz.

Iling Junior is being overhyped too, he is a prospect but he's only slightly younger than Ramsey and Rogers and has had far less of an impact at club level that they have. He started very few games last season.

Selling Luiz is one thing, but selling him to a joke club like Juventus who have no money and are just offering their castoffs would leave me really angry. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

We can all agree that McKennie was awful for Leeds but who in that team wasn't? Jesse Marsch is up there with Stevie G in terms of being one of the most out of depth managers in Prem history. He had no tactical knowledge whatsoever so I would disregard McKennie's time there. By all accounts, he has had a very good season for Juve.

Agree and maybe having a poor experience in the PL before actually helps him, he won’t be complacent about the demands and knows what he’s coming into on the pitch and also off it.

Also agree with your comment on the cash too, if £20m (or even worse €20m) as reported is correct that seems to be undervaluing Luiz by a fair margin. Iling Jr might be a sought after prospect but only has 1 year left on his contract, as has McKennie, so both players should be on the cheap rather than on a premium.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Juve fans in the comments ecstatic with that potential outcome

That last one I assume the translation is off but that must be the Gino D'acampo way of saying "I'd drive them there myself"

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Fair enough, though I'd probably take comments in Italian as slightly more realistic of the view of Juve fans at large, but good to see it's slightly more even in replies on a different tweet

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

We shouldn't be selling Luiz period. He has been for me our best player over the last 2 seasons, don't let a bit of poor form the end of last season detract from that. 

But if we did sell, he should be replaced in the squad by good players. I proposed Fofana and Gallagher and people weren't happy with that so I'm scratching my head if anyone thinks McKennie and Barkley as our 2 midfield replacements for Luiz are the answer. Barkley shouldn't be a starter for a team going for top 4 and neither should McKennie, fine to replace Iroegbunam and Chambers in the squad but not Luiz.

Iling Junior is being overhyped too, he is a prospect but he's only slightly younger than Ramsey and Rogers and has had far less of an impact at club level that they have. He started very few games last season.

Selling Luiz is one thing, but selling him to a joke club like Juventus who have no money and are just offering their castoffs would leave me really angry. 

What about Gallagher McKenzie and Barkley to cover Luiz? That's the point of we did this deal we'd have no problem with restrictions and could go get Gallagher or Fofana. 

If you view one of those as being close is standard to Luiz then we can get them and like 3 other squad players for Luiz.

It would be shit to lose Luiz but you can definitely see how it could be for the greater good

2 minutes ago, zak said:

What about Gallagher McKenzie and Barkley to cover Luiz? That's the point of we did this deal we'd have no problem with restrictions and could go get Gallagher or Fofana. 

If you view one of those as being close is standard to Luiz then we can get them and like 3 other squad players for Luiz.

It would be shit to lose Luiz but you can definitely see how it could be for the greater good

I'd still be disappointed with that. Fofana, Gallagher and Barkley would be alright though.

I for one see the logic in this and I am not at all upset. Dougie is a great player and the first half of this season he and Kamara were top 4 material. However, outside of that 12 months (including the backend of last season) Dougie has failed to find consistency and play at the level he is capable of. He has a high ceiling but we have seen him perform at his floor level far too often including the end of this season (with the caveat being the injuries and loss of Kamara obviously).

If this deal goes through + someone like Gallagher comes in then the squad would be improved and that is what matters. Nothing will hurt more than Jack going.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

I for one see the logic in this and I am not at all upset. Dougie is a great player and the first half of this season he and Kamara were top 4 material. However, outside of that 12 months (including the backend of last season) Dougie has failed to find consistency and play at the level he is capable of. He has a high ceiling but we have seen him perform at his floor level far too often including the end of this season (with the caveat being the injuries and loss of Kamara obviously).

If this deal goes through + someone like Gallagher comes in then the squad would be improved and that is what matters. Nothing will hurt more than Jack going.

I agree with this except that I was happy receiving £100m for a player who looked devastated when his big move to Spurs fell through. 

48 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I know it's a cop out answer and would make an internet forum redundant, but if Unai Emery and Monchi believe McKennie and Iling Jr will help this team and our finances, enabling us to spend on other additions to the squad--they know better than you. Simple as that.

Emery was after McKennie in January 2023 to be one of his first signings. Iling Jr we've been linked to for a few windows. It's two long-term targets that would be signing, not some random unwanted rejects that we've just decided to roll over and accept like a few on the likes of Twitter seem to think

• Like 1

I'm gonna make my peace that Luiz is leaving and then it will be a nice surprise if he doesn't. I have faith that we can and will sign better. 

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

Fair enough, though I'd probably take comments in Italian as slightly more realistic of the view of Juve fans at large, but good to see it's slightly more even in replies on a different tweet

Indeed.

Just goes to again emphasise that football fans and viewpoints across fanbases are similarly polarising to us on this board!

Ultimately, it's the Manager and our Board etc we need to trust.

• Like 1

Â