Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Cancelo went out on loan in the January city went on to win the treble and then they replaced him with gvardiol, the 2nd most expensive defender in history and went on to win the league again 

We're not exactly in the same boat 

4 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Even better example then really. They lost one of their three best players and reshaped the team without him and without any additional money.

The point is, It's not the end of the world losing Luiz. It would be if we lost Watkins and probably would be if we lost Martinez.

We've looked good this season on a couple of the occasions we've been without Luiz. We have never looked good without Emi or Watkins.

You are using a team that repeatedly broke FFP to perform that reshaping.  Something the PL will immediately punish us for since we don't have a nation state backing us.  Losing any player that makes up our spine will be tough to come back from. That's Douglas, McGinn, Pau, Konsa, Watkins and Martinez. If we wish to repeat our top 4 performance then we need all of them to return. 

We won't be selling Luiz for less than an amount that allows us to replace him though. 

We aren't desperate for a sale to meet ffp. We might not need anything, but if we do it's only a matter of a few million. 

If we then sell Luiz it will be because we wanted to and a club met our valuation, which will easily be above £60m.

And what held us back last season was depth, not quality. Losing one quality player for depth (and even then we'll have over £60m in the bank to find quality as well as depth) won't kill us. Not ideal I'd agree, but far from a disaster. 

If you're thinking we're forced to sell him and only 30m+ will do for FFP, and as a result have to accept £40m for him, then I can understand your concerns.

Dougie is one of my fave players and I'd be gutted to see him go but with how footy is we have to be clever. 

When you're doing well, it's easy to get attached to players and think they will stay here forever. But sometimes, to move on again, you have to sell at the right time. 

This isn't like when Delph or Grealish suddenly went and we didn't know what to do because our best player had suddenly gone to Man City. Emery is a genius and will have someone in mind, if Dougie is even being sold. 

Only 2 players, possibly 3, IMO, are irreplaceable at the moment. Watkins, Martinez & I'd possibly say Bailey. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MrBlack said:

City sold Cancelo who was one of their 3 best players and key to their success the previous season.  It does happen even at the most successful club

Admittedly he was sold for different reasons, but it does happen.

I think we have a plan for if he's sold and are probably hoping we can sell other players to fund our summer business, but selling him won't be plan A

Not even remotely comparable to our situation with Luiz, didn't he fall out with Pep?

Our situation would be like City being told they have to sell KDB for PSR. 

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

Not even remotely comparable to our situation with Luiz, didn't he fall out with Pep?

Our situation would be like City being told they have to sell KDB for PSR. 

I said the circumstances don't really matter.

Just that they lost someone who was key to their form. He was being touted as the best right back ever and crucial to their success the month before he was sold. Yes they have KDB, Rodri and whoever else, and replaced him with Gvardiol, but the fact is they lost him. 

If we lost Luiz, we still have Watkins, we still have Pau, we still have Martinez, and we can use the money we get for him to get a replacement.

I repeat again, it would clearly be better to not sell him. But if we do, I think it will be  because we wanted to and got more than his worth, and know how we can replace him, not because we had to.

8 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Could be worth a listen.

Prediction, Gregg is going to claim we need to sell for PSR and Dan will allude that he’s staying or someone is interested. 

but most of the pod will be about how great he’s been for us 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

As expected he's staying so. Doubt he would be doing a Villa podcast if he was off. 

I assumed Doug himself isn't on the podcast.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Prediction, Gregg is going to claim we need to sell and Dan will allude that he’s staying or someone is interested. 

but most of the pod will be about how great he’s been for us 

I love listening to Villa content, so, sounds good to me.

• Like 1

Â