Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

FBref is a great resource but it doesn’t cover him being slow, injury prone, having poor stamina and lacking long term consistency. Tielemans is a better passer and more natural in the deeper role than Barkley so I would say Barkley is a downgrade on Tielemans and Tielemans is a downgrade on Luiz

Doug isn't fleet footed by any stretch of the imagination 😂

He played 37 games for Luton last season, 34 of those being in the PL so how " Injury prone " could he really be? ( We probably won't need him to play 50 games either as a part of the SQUAD )

Have you actually done ANY sort of research into him recently or just basing this on his stint with us?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Doug isn't fleet footed by any stretch of the imagination 😂

He played 37 games for Luton last season, 34 of those being in the PL so how " Injury prone " could he really be? ( We probably won't need him to play 50 games either as a part of the SQUAD )

Have you actually done ANY sort of research into him recently or just basing this on his stint with us?

And last season was the first time since the 2016-17 season he has started more than 18 league games or played in half the league minutes available. He’s had two full seasons where he’s played less than 200 minutes of league football. His career is more than last season so it looks like you’re the one who hasn’t done the research.  Injuries, fitness and poor consistency have been his biggest weakness for his whole career.

15 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

And last season was the first time since the 2016-17 season he has started more than 18 league games or played in half the league minutes available. He’s had two full seasons where he’s played less than 200 minutes of league football. His career is more than last season so it looks like you’re the one who hasn’t done the research.  Injuries, fitness and poor consistency have been his biggest weakness for his whole career.

I'll circle back when I have other examples of presenting facts without context to suit a desired narrative.

Jacob Ramsey, Tyrone Mings and Emi Buendia are now injury prone, Ollie Watkins is a winger... Etc.

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

Id be focusing on selling Carlos, Digne, Cash, Duran plus a few of the peripheral players. Id hope that this would plug the gap and allow us to bring in better replacements after June (when we have more income).

Agree, I think selling Dougie would be a monumental error unless absolutely forced into it or offered a ridiculous price.

Unfortunately I think the obvious player to move on (ignoring sentiment) would have been JJ, pre-injury.

It’s sad really that FFP incentivises selling the homegrown talent, the fan favourites who have grown up at the club. And tbh you could argue Dougie is one of those too, really.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

is this guy legit? 

Well he uses chicken emojis. If that isn't a sign of professionalism and honesty then I don't know what is. 

• Haha 1

In January we were briefly linked to Exequiel Palacios at Leverkusen, I know very little about him, but just seems off goals/assists they are at similar levels. Now obviously Leverkusen winning Bundesliga makes it harder to get there players, but would he be a good replacement IF we sell Dougie for his correct perceived by us value? 

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

The top teams do it all the time. The net benefit is because it's a team sport improving the whole squad with funds free'd up from a sale like that. Selling Jack for example was key to us being in the Champions League now. Gav the PSR headroom we needed, now that Jack boost is rolling off we need a new one. 

Top teams selling there best players by choice is not normal. Does it happen, yeah, but it's usually due to the player wanting a move. Spurs sold Modric and Bale but only after getting top dollar and the players making it known they wanted the move. Hazard, Ronaldo, Kane....all the same. Only sold once all other options had been exhausted to keep them. 

The idea that we can sell one of the PLs best midfielders and improve is far from a certain one. If it was a given then Juventus would just buy the midfielder we are going to purchase after selling Douglas. Top teams don't sell key assets unless no other option exist. 

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Ramsey you could argue we have with Rogers, Mings you could with Pau

Luiz we definitely haven't

yeah but if we'd bought a Luiz replacement before now (I.e. in jan) we'd be even further in debt this year and we'd be looking at selling Luiz and someone else.  

7 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

yeah but if we'd bought a Luiz replacement before now (I.e. in jan) we'd be even further in debt this year and we'd be looking at selling Luiz and someone else.  

Instead we'll sell Luiz to tick the box for this year and then gamble on his replacement in next years accounts 

That's bollocks, both in terms of the rules being shit and how to build a squad 

Instead you look for value on the fringes like chambers, Carlos, Duran, even cash and then like I said Ramsey seeing as we have Rogers 

Luiz is one of the last players we sell

I don't believe in it personally, expecting the summer to end with him signing a new contract 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

Tielemens is the Luiz replacement, Barkley beefs up the midfield numbers then we'll buy a DM that everyone says is a Luiz replacement but isn't 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The_Steve said:

In short no, this bloke was adamant that Moussa was off to Saudi Arabia and had turned us down.

Hmm, appears that in fact Rudy CAN fail.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

City sold Cancelo who was one of their 3 best players and key to their success the previous season.  It does happen even at the most successful club

Admittedly he was sold for different reasons, but it does happen.

I think we have a plan for if he's sold and are probably hoping we can sell other players to fund our summer business, but selling him won't be plan A

Edited by MrBlack

Posted (edited)
On 08/06/2024 at 22:03, MrBlack said:

Barkley replaces Luiz, Youri plays a few more games, they both play 30.

Yes there's a drop off there, but it's no where near the level of drop off we would have trying to replace Watkins or Martinez.

Assumes we are signing Ross, and he continues his form of last season but it's certainly not bad. 

Thats terrifying if honest

Both are capable squad players

Edited by Zatman

45 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

City sold Cancelo who was one of their 3 best players and key to their success the previous season.  It does happen even at the most successful club

Admittedly he was sold for different reasons, but it does happen.

I think we have a plan for if he's sold and are probably hoping we can sell other players to fund our summer business, but selling him won't be plan A

Cancelo is still a Man City player.  He went on loan after he was dropped from the team and considered surplus. 

6 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Cancelo is still a Man City player.  He went on loan after he was dropped from the team and considered surplus. 

Even better example then really. They lost one of their three best players and reshaped the team without him and without any additional money.

The point is, It's not the end of the world losing Luiz. It would be if we lost Watkins and probably would be if we lost Martinez.

We've looked good this season on a couple of the occasions we've been without Luiz. We have never looked good without Emi or Watkins.

• Like 1

Â