Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

16 minutes ago, allani said:

How many games did Luiz play last season?  What was the longest run of game that Tielemans played without getting injured?  That will give you the answer about how big the drop off would be.

Barkley replaces Luiz, Youri plays a few more games, they both play 30.

Yes there's a drop off there, but it's no where near the level of drop off we would have trying to replace Watkins or Martinez.

Assumes we are signing Ross, and he continues his form of last season but it's certainly not bad. 

38 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Yes there's a drop off there, but it's no where near the level of drop off we would have trying to replace Watkins or Martinez.

Assumes we are signing Ross, and he continues his form of last season but it's certainly not bad. 

If Barkley plays 30 matches for us we are in big big trouble.

• Like 2

Arsenal have been told they'll need to cough up £50million if they want to land Douglas Luiz.

The Aston Villa midfielder has just enjoyed a stellar year and played a key role in the Midlands outfit reaching the Champions League. He scored ten times and provided a further ten assists as his stock continued to rise.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-astonvilla-douglas-luiz-price-32990912

I actually think he will be sold to someone unfortunately.  50m is low for imo our best player.  But sounds like we need to

Dougie, with Kamara in the team, is a different beast, to Dougie without Kamara.

The drop off, was quite noticeable, and Dougie is expected to do some of Kamara's work,( when he's not there) and he can't...not very well anyway.

We all know we need another player to cover/ play alongside Kamara.....so I don't understand, why we keep getting linked with the type of players, we have already.

We have plenty of players to play in the 3 in front of the pivot.....and for me, Dougie should be in amongst that 3......and a new player in the 6 role.

• Like 3

Fofana is Milan's real target, but the interest in Cash seems more realistic.

Translated copy

‘Douglas Luiz is back in Milan's sights’: this is how Tuttosport headlines this morning regarding the Rossoneri's market, which will also make an important strike in the middle of the field. The first target is always Youssouf Fofana from Monaco, but also pay attention to the Brazilian midfielder from Aston Villa who has entered the talks in recent days between the executives of the Diavolo and the English ones who are talking about the right-back Cash, also in the Rossoneri's sights.

Already in the summer of 2022, Milan had their eyes on Douglas Luiz to replace Kessie, but Aston Villa's request was too high. Now the English, due to Financial Fair Play issues, must complete disposals by 30 June and the midfielder is one of the expendables.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

https://www.milannews.it/rassegna-stampa/tuttosport-titola-douglas-luiz-torna-nel-mirino-milan-538260

44 minutes ago, TRO said:

Dougie, with Kamara in the team, is a different beast, to Dougie without Kamara.

The drop off, was quite noticeable, and Dougie is expected to do some of Kamara's work,( when he's not there) and he can't...not very well anyway.

We all know we need another player to cover/ play alongside Kamara.....so I don't understand, why we keep getting linked with the type of players, we have already.

We have plenty of players to play in the 3 in front of the pivot.....and for me, Dougie should be in amongst that 3......and a new player in the 6 role.

Yes, Dougie had to adapt his game once we lost Kamara and play slightly deeper and it impacted his form. 

I know people will think I'm mad but Emery sees Barkley as an excellent alternative to Luiz. I personally think people have underrated how good Tielemans was in second half of last season. Ideally he plays with Kamara in a midfield two as his passing range is the best at the club, his ball progression is outstanding. 

I think Barkley/Tielemans for the Dougie role. While we strengthen around him. Get Gallagher and McKennie

JJ/Rogers, Tielemans/Barkley, Kamara/McGinn, Gallagher/McKennie - This would be a nice squad for CM and the s/s role. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yes, Dougie had to adapt his game once we lost Kamara and play slightly deeper and it impacted his form. 

I know people will think I'm mad but Emery sees Barkley as an excellent alternative to Luiz. I personally think people have underrated how good Tielemans was in second half of last season. Ideally he plays with Kamara in a midfield two as his passing range is the best at the club, his ball progression is outstanding. 

I think Barkley/Tielemans for the Dougie role. While we strengthen around him. Get Gallagher and McKennie

JJ/Rogers, Tielemans/Barkley, Kamara/McGinn, Gallagher/McKennie - This would be a nice squad for CM and the s/s role. 

Who's playing the Kamara role in the 4/5 months he won't be around for next season? That is basically our CL campaign.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Who's playing the Kamara role in the 4/5 months he won't be around for next season? That is basically our CL campaign.

It's a good question, Gallagher or McKennie are both very good defensively. Tielemans is too, he was very good when partnered with McGinn. I think it was just Dougie/McGinn isn't the combination as neither are good enough defensively and lack stature as a pair too. 

I'd be very happy with Barkley + Tielemans with McGinn and Gallagher also forming part of the box midfield. 

14 hours ago, MrBlack said:

The idea of Barkley replacing Luiz makes me sick, it’s the same category as replacing Milner with Stephen Ireland

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

The idea of Barkley replacing Luiz makes me sick, it’s the same category as replacing Milner with Stephen Ireland

Despite Douglas Luiz being the no1 player in the "Similar players to Ross Barkley" in fbref. I get people think of his time when last at Villa or not being part of Chelsea's plans and a bit part player. However he was outstanding for Luton in a change of role. Emery and Monchi have a track record of using older players who they see as undervalued by other sides because of their age or form from years passed. 

I think Barkley will be the best signing we make this summer. People will be amazed how well he fits the system. 

I cannot believe we would sell one of our best players.

Just feels like a backward step.

What we need is someone to augment Kamara's position. That is where the drop off was most felt, when Kamara was unavailable.

Mind you, it is most likely clickbait media garbage. They really don't think we should have any decent players, or that any decent player might just want to play for us.

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

I cannot believe we would sell one of our best players.

Just feels like a backward step.

What we need is someone to augment Kamara's position. That is where the drop off was most felt, when Kamara was unavailable.

Mind you, it is most likely clickbait media garbage. They really don't think we should have any decent players, or that any decent player might just want to play for us.

The top teams do it all the time. The net benefit is because it's a team sport improving the whole squad with funds free'd up from a sale like that. Selling Jack for example was key to us being in the Champions League now. Gav the PSR headroom we needed, now that Jack boost is rolling off we need a new one. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The top teams do it all the time. The net benefit is because it's a team sport improving the whole squad with funds free'd up from a sale like that. Selling Jack for example was key to us being in the Champions League now. Gav the PSR headroom we needed, now that Jack boost is rolling off we need a new one. 

Like who?

And us selling jack also effectively led to a manger getting the sack and 2 players who weren't good enough, we took a massive backwards step first

We got there in the end but it wasn't thanks to a well laid out plan, we got lucky with emery 

That's what I mean about buying rh replacement first, playing for maybe 1 or 2 years together and then you sell the player 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Like who?

And us selling jack also effectively led to a manger getting the sack and 2 players who weren't good enough, we took a massive backwards step first

We got there in the end but it wasn't thanks to a well laid out plan, we got lucky with emery 

That's what I mean about buying rh replacement first, playing for maybe 1 or 2 years together and then you sell the player 

we can't buy the replacement first though.  if we have to sell, and that's a big if, then we have to sell by 30th June and can't buy anyone before the 1st July.  Otherwise we'd have to buy someone shite for £1m.  If you believe an element of all the click bait then we have overspent to the tune of about £30m this year but unlike Chelsea haven't yet committed our spending for next year.  so after June 30th we may well have cash but before then we don't.

Edited by tezzaleed

2 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

we can't buy the replacement first though.  if we have to sell, and that's a big if, then we have to sell by 30th June and can't buy anyone before the 1st July.  Otherwise we'd have to buy someone shite for £1m.  

Ramsey you could argue we have with Rogers, Mings you could with Pau

Luiz we definitely haven't

• Like 2

Â