Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

36 minutes ago, TomC said:

After promotion, under both Deano and SG, our problems were usually attributed to midfield. Even after we bought Kamara.

Unai brought Doug back in from the cold after he was marginalized by SG and paired him with Kamara. Our success this season was no small part attributable to that pairing. They complemented each other so well.

Doug did not play as well after Kamara left, but that does not mean all the credit belongs to Kamara. Otherwise, midfield would have done better under SG. They're just good together.

Why break that up? If we really have PSR problems, I'd sell others before Doug.

Well one reason would be one of the two not being able to play if the other isn't there.

That's not a good trait.

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

I'd rather fall foul of psr than lose Luiz. Luiz is worth much more than 4pts over the course of a season. 

It's not a line I wouid want to go down but hopefully it won't come to that. 

1 hour ago, TomC said:

Why break that up? If we really have PSR problems, I'd sell others before Doug.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DJBOB said:

I'm sure a lot of clubs have interest in Dougie and many other players we have. Juventus don't have the finances to sign him though. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Usually if Collomosse is saying it, it's probably right.

I actually think he's very unreliable. Percy and Ornstein only ones to believe for Villa 

39 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Well one reason would be one of the two not being able to play if the other isn't there.

That's not a good trait.

It's also not really true.  

Luiz was really good at the back end of last year when Kamara was injured. We won the 3 games straight after Kamara's injury this season, with Luiz contributing goals and assists. He was also our best midfielder at the start of the season, when although Kamara and Tielemans were there in a physical sense i.e. they were on the pitch, they were woefully out of form and not actually helping.

It seems to have been forgotten amongst the 'Luiz has been rubbish since Xmas' comments (which is another exaggeration) that both of those players had shocking starts to the season, as bad as the stuff Luiz has served up at the end; because they weren't really fit.

Which brings it back to the reason for Luiz's drop off at the end of this season - he was knackered. No coincidence that McGinn was also throwing in absolute shockers; those two had been carrying the midfield workload for large parts of the last 12 months given the various injuries.

All that said, given all the financial regulation stuff now, every player has a price, and if the right offer is made you have to take it, and trust you reinvest wisely.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Usually if Collomosse is saying it, it's probably right.

I think he was spot on when we had Purslow at the helm - he’s not been as on the money since Monchi and co all came in IMO.

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

40m and Smith-Rowe.

Classic piss poor journalism. Of course little old Villa will let one of our best players who probably has a value of £80+ million for £40 million plus a player that wasn’t good enough to hardly get a game as sub for arsenal. I’m sure as well that the article said smith Rowe was valued at £40 million and luis at £42 million 😂

3 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

Classic piss poor journalism. Of course little old Villa will let one of our best players who probably has a value of £80+ million for £40 million plus a player that wasn’t good enough to hardly get a game as sub for arsenal. I’m sure as well that the article said smith Rowe was valued at £40 million and luis at £42 million 😂

I doubt we will be getting as much as you suggest for Dougie.

1 hour ago, KAZZAM said:

Don't like the idea of him leaving at all. 

Prefer to sell a host of others first. 

He was always the most likely to leave this summer. Along with Duran. 

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, striker said:

Nonsense. Luiz has a good game every one in 5-6.

Villa fans seem to be totally blinkered to that. McGinn is far more consistent.

Moved it here.

You can decide the merit for yourselves but whether you think whose scored ratings are worth anything or not, they’re more independent than Villa supporters.

I had a look at a handful of Villa players and how many games they scored 7 or above. 

I only looked at a few of the first team for comparison.

Watkins 21 games

Luiz/Bailey 16

McGinn 15

Konsa 9

Torres 6

Luiz’s first 25 games he was averaging 7.224. His final 10 games he averaged 6.269. So a notable drop off.

This I feel goes someway to discrediting the one good game in every five or six claim. Or if it doesn’t, then these stats would suggest other players could be critiqued as being just as inconsistent.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Moved it here.

You can decide the merit for yourselves but whether you think whose scored ratings are worth anything or not, they’re more independent than Villa supporters.

I had a look at a handful of Villa players and how many games they scored 7 or above. 

I only looked at a few of the first team for comparison.

Watkins 21 games

Luiz/Bailey 16

McGinn 15

Konsa 9

Torres 6

Luiz’s first 25 games he was averaging 7.224. His final 10 games he averaged 6.269. So a notable drop off.

This I feel goes someway to discrediting the one good game in every five or six claim. Or if it doesn’t, then these stats would suggest other players could be critiqued as being just as inconsistent.

Not even worth entertaining rubbish like that tbh - it was just patently untrue. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

It comes down to this, like all players, if he wants to go then let him go. Bring someone in who is a 100 per cent committed to the cause. Luiz as improved immensely in the 5yrs he's been with us, however, I have always felt he lacks the pace of an elite midfielder. Just my opinion. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

Posted (edited)

The idea of Dougie being sold is hard to swallow for a number of a reasons.

There's a good core of this squad that have been with us for a number of years now, and it would be tough to let any of those players go.

The squad have delivered on a massive achievement in qualifying for the Champions League, and to see a key contributor in the squad leave without playing in that competition with us is really disappointing too.

It particularly rankles that PSR should be the reason, and I understand the sentiment in the thread above about preferring to take the hit if it's 4 or 5 points. 

Lastly, with the fees being talked about, it doesn't seem that we are getting the best value for the player, so we're not even getting the balance sheet improvement that the Grealish sale delivered if the reports are true.

Sometimes you sign a player and it doesn't work out and you make a loss, but there's no way the development of Luiz over these seasons should result in only a very modest profit. The accounting period not lining up with the transfer windows really hurts in this regard.

I don't disagree that it would make more sense to sell Luiz as opposed to Kamara or Ramsey should it come to it, but the circumstances around it stink.

Edited by rjenkins
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, imavillan said:

this has been posted

I've never heard of him but Matteo Moretto is Tier 1 apparently. Regarded in the same level as Ornstein

spacer.png

Have the old lady heard of Callumbia Chamberosa? Versatile, can play the same positions as Doug and would be alot more affordable at circa 35 - 40 mill 👀

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, ender4 said:

Heck is a glorified commercial manager. He's not going to get involved in who we are buying or selling or how close we are to PSR. That's Monchi's job.

He'll have deep operational knowledge of our financials. Even if he knows nothing about football, he will be in constant discussion with guys like monchi about how much money they need for what, whether we need to sell commercial properties to bring in funds, whether we need to sell naming rights etc to make ends meet. 

Â