Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

9 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Selling our only actual CM would be a baffling decision. 

What a state football is in if we have to sell one of Kamara, Luiz, Ramsey because they are "Pure profit". 

And when you look at those three names Luiz is the right decision. Kamara is harder to replace and is injured. JJ has had a terrible year with injuries so won’t get the fee he deserves. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

£50m +McKennie is £30m short.

But...what do we do if Doug has two years left and hasn't touched a new deal we've offered? He has to go this summer if he won't sign up. Has to.

Worst case scenario is we'd still get at least £50 million (in a normal market, if the player himself doesn't have a release clause, obv) if we were to sell next summer. Or even in Jan, if the CL campaign goes belly up.  

I'd at least like to see how a player we already know and trust goes in that competition first. 

Problem.is we have is we need to raise money quickly before the end of June so we can not fall foul of psr. Dougie is one of the few players that we can do that with. However if what is reported is correct Mckennie plus £25 million is a joke.

I'm half expecting an out of no where tweet from David Ornstein that Arsenal have agreed a deal for him. They have been interested in him previously and they are after a midfielder this summer.

Their accounts period was till 31st May so they are now in a new year accounts wise, will probably see June as good chance to try and get Luiz cheaper considering our PSR situation this month. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Problem.is we have is we need to raise money quickly before the end of June so we can not fall foul of psr.

The problem is this idea is in dispute. We don’t know if we are.  We assume/know if we want to spend decent money we have to sell but we don’t know if we have to sell regardless even if we don’t buy.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Qualifying for Champions League finally, and money/selling players being one of the main things we have to worry about now is quite depressing FFS.

Before FFP came in and most our fans were clamouring for it, I did say i could see how it would come back to bite us in the arse.

Obviously there needs to be some within reason, but just like in all areas of Business, I feel like people should be able to use their clout and connections for success. Unless it's a deep monopoly or ridiculously anti competitive obviously.

In an ideal world you want to keep your best players, the sentimental attachments and build ffs.

I can't imagine that the likes of Doug himself enjoys this but it's now a part of the business.

Players have loved clubs and reluctantly accepted being moved on for the greater good in the past.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

The problem is this idea is in dispute. We don’t know if we are.  We assume/know if we want to spend decent money we have to sell but we don’t know if we have to sell regardless even if we don’t buy.

Usually if Collomosse is saying it, it's probably right.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Usually if Collomosse is saying it, it's probably right.

He would know about interest in players out and in but no way does he know our psr level.  There would be very few people that would know that even within the club.  Accounts arent free to be seen by just anybody before they are published even within a company, never mind externally, he’s just guessing like the rest of us.  It’s one thing knowing about player interest, it a whole different world knowing about company finances that have not been released yet.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3

Collomose article seems just as speculative as all the other articles, the headline says we're open to selling Douglas Luiz this month, but the actual article just says he would be a contender for a sale,, so seems they're just guessing, we could sell him, but also we could sell any of our other players

Also this quote that has been attributed to Collomose,“Aston Villa must sell at least one player before June 30th, otherwise they would have a hard time with the financial rules & risk a penalty in the Premier League..” , as far as I can find he hasn't actually said, it might be true anyway and probably is true, but point is I think the media are just guessing at who we might sell

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Collomose article seems just as speculative as all the other articles, the headline says we're open to selling Douglas Luiz this month, but the actual article just says he would be a contender for a sale,, so seems they're just guessing, we could sell him, but also we could sell any of our other players

Also this quote that has been attributed to Collomose,“Aston Villa must sell at least one player before June 30th, otherwise they would have a hard time with the financial rules & risk a penalty in the Premier League..” , as far as I can find he hasn't actually said, it might be true anyway and probably is true, but point is I think the media are just guessing at who we might sell

Probably just guessing because he was close to going to Arsenal last year so he’s the easy choice.

1 hour ago, RichW said:

I'm half expecting an out of no where tweet from David Ornstein that Arsenal have agreed a deal for him. They have been interested in him previously and they are after a midfielder this summer.

Their accounts period was till 31st May so they are now in a new year accounts wise, will probably see June as good chance to try and get Luiz cheaper considering our PSR situation this month. 

40m and Smith-Rowe.

22 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Finances within a company are tightly held and restricted and obviously the owners would know, executives like Emery, Monchi and close teams know along with the likes of Heck obviously being an Exec but beyond that very few would know outside of the finance team.  It would be part of their delegated authority matrix which company’s have.

Having an idea like Kieran Maguire or some on here is as close as you’ll get but even they will likely have a tolerance of ten of millions in their numbers.  When you are likely to be this close the tolerance is likely to be greater than the difference.  Also what is included and not included under psr is regularly debated between the governing body and clubs on individual costs ie the covid exclusions as just one example.

I’m not saying not to discuss it but when we are so close apparently, nobody can say we have to sell before 30th June because even people like Tom won’t know.  It’s only when you are so far over the line like Chelsea that you can say something like that.

You are correct. From people in the media Borson is probably most knowledgeable on PSR topics. He estimated Chelsea were about £100m short this season to comply with PSR. But it was suggested by him and Ornstein that they are not short anymore, following sell of Cobham to themselves apparently.

When I was looking at our numbers it looked like we were about £40-50m short this season. It might have been already addressed by property sale or some other creative accounting. It might have not, we won't know until end of June.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Rough deal for us

The problem is that other clubs will suss out our situation and feel like it gives them a bit of leverage in any negotiations over the next three weeks.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Problem.is we have is we need to raise money quickly before the end of June so we can not fall foul of psr. Dougie is one of the few players that we can do that with. However if what is reported is correct Mckennie plus £25 million is a joke.

I'd rather fall foul of psr than lose Luiz. Luiz is worth much more than 4pts over the course of a season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

You are correct. From people in the media Borson is probably most knowledgeable on PSR topics. He estimated Chelsea were about £100m short this season to comply with PSR. But it was suggested by him and Ornstein that they are not short anymore, following sell of Cobham to themselves apparently.

When I was looking at our numbers it looked like we were about £40-50m short this season. It might have been already addressed by property sale or some other creative accounting. It might have not, we won't know until end of June.

Idk Heck was giving it large in January saying if one of the word removed clubs want to purchase our players they'll have a difficult time and perhaps we'd purchase from them instead. Idk seems to me like he's pretty confident we don't have to make sales to meet psr. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Idk Heck was giving it large in January saying if one of the word removed clubs want to purchase our players they'll have a difficult time and perhaps we'd purchase from them instead. Idk seems to me like he's pretty confident we don't have to make sales to meet psr. 

Heck is a glorified commercial manager. He's not going to get involved in who we are buying or selling or how close we are to PSR. That's Monchi's job.

• Like 1

After promotion, under both Deano and SG, our problems were usually attributed to midfield. Even after we bought Kamara.

Unai brought Doug back in from the cold after he was marginalized by SG and paired him with Kamara. Our success this season was no small part attributable to that pairing. They complemented each other so well.

Doug did not play as well after Kamara left, but that does not mean all the credit belongs to Kamara. Otherwise, midfield would have done better under SG. They're just good together.

Why break that up? If we really have PSR problems, I'd sell others before Doug.

• Like 4

Â