Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 hour ago, Czarnikjak said:

Isn't it strange that the only rumors that came out of this visit relate to Luiz and Weston? Also rather specific figure of 6.5m Euro salary that he would be happy with.

I do believe they had talks about Luiz with Juventus (it doesn't mean it will neccasary happen obviously).

Maybe that was the case but maybe it wasn’t.  Any number of reasons why that rumour could be wrong and most often early rumours are way off the mark.  

Let’s see what happens but given Luiz’s likely value compared to McKennie’s likely value and Juve’s current financial limits it doesn’t make sense, that’s the reality.

12 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Finally. Recognition for my work. 

I'm wasted on you lot. 

OMG!

Why is everyone trying to sell Luiz!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have to sell somebody at a good price right now, especially with our revenue etc. But now we are in the champions league next season this may not be as urgent or as important as it might have been back in January. Our biggest question is do we sell him this summer? Or does he sign a new contract/extension? For me I feel like if we get a very good offer, it might be too good to turn down. Like I mentioned in the Barkley thread. Maybe we are getting Barkley as cover incase we sell him. That way we're not having to go chasing someone and we can bide our time and get a replacement for better value. If we don't sell Luiz, we have extra depth with champions league experience.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, HolteExile said:

But the engine room controls everything.  Mess around with that at your peril. Kamara and Luiz as a duo powered us to top 4. Being without Kamara until Oct/Nov at the earliest will be tough enough to compensate for as it is. 

Exactly… absolutely crucial. We struggled for ages to get that midfield right and finally managed to do it. A strong central midfield is key to any top quality side. We have to look at a long run of games and consistency too… just because McGinn and Tielemans did well in one or two games doesn’t mean that they will and could sustain it over a whole season. We know Luiz and Kamara can.

Grealish is not even a comparable situation, we were battling relegation in the main and struggled or dropped off for a while after he left… it wasn’t a quick or easy transition… and the players brought in were largely disappointing (initially, at least…. Deano got sacked) and/or heavily criticised. 

In fact, we didn’t really see an improvement or a lasting one until Unai (a massive improvement on the coaching and management side, very lucky to get him and he has transformed and elevated us) arrived… and now we’re competing in the Champions League.

If we mess with the formula or any key components… the drop off could be even more severe and it will be harder to get back to where we are or want to be… to be this or more competitive again. Lose any of the biggest contributors and we might not get back to this level again… massive risk.

New players are unlikely to gel immediately and hit the ground running in terms of peak and consistent form… especially if that key component or two is missing and the pressure is heaped on them to perform straight away - a huge challenge.

Finding and integrating quality or even adequate replacements for your best and most important players is VERY, VERY DIFFICULT.

Unai has already talked about this… that there’s no point selling an important player just for money and lose the quality, structure and potential of the side. These players are very hard to replace…

”we do not want to lose the potential of our team”

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

Hypothetically, if this deal were to happen, do you think Unai may see Tielemans as first choice in that position with Barkley acting as the rotation option? Luiz did drop off last season whereas Tielemans went from strength to strength. That would leave Kamara as first choice in the destroyer role and he'd rotate with McKennie.

Felt a bit sick typing this.

No… Youri hasn’t shown consistent form and been consistently available. He gets injured, picks up knocks and strains and often gets exhausted. To expect him to do as well as Luiz has done over the course of an entire season is a massive ask.

IF we were to lose Luiz… I’m sure we would bring in another player of that ilk or style. We can’t make do with one, especially if he can’t do the business week in, week out. Luiz is amongst the players to have played the most minutes for us and to have made the biggest contributions to us winning games.

He is being very under appreciated, maybe even disrespected, by many fans rn…

Most of all, it’s clear that Unai wants control in games and Luiz is his go-to-man for that. He would be difficult and costly to replace.

Again, I don’t think he’s going unless we receive an offer that is too good to turn down (Juve do not have that capacity unless they send some of their better players our way along with a decent fee) AND Dougie actually wants out, which I highly doubt. I think, like Emi, he is going to relish playing for us in CL and show his quality on the biggest stage.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

I'd be disappointed if we sold him, down right gutted if we did any kind of deal involving McKennie

I don't trust juve to have the money if I'm honest, it'll be player swap, a bit of money today, a bit more when they get paid next month, the rest of it when they feel like it 

• Like 4

Damn can't believe Juve sent a rep to hogwarts to negotiate with Dougie. 

Also like reports are saying that Juve are increasing his salary by 25%? Like so what just pay that then. Like it's 2 mil or some shit if he was on like 160k a week which he wasn't. He needs a new contract, this could easily just be posturing to get a new deal. Certainly would be better to keep Luiz for one more year and then sell him in the summer than it would be to sell to juve now for anything even resembling the reported package.

Like next year you can easily stoke a bidding war between Arsenal, Liverpool and City. As all should want him, and want to keep him from the others. I doubt we'd even lose much value just from keeping him. And that's if he doesn't extend. We've gone into the season with and Bailey and Luiz on less than 2 years before and both have extended in season so I'm fairly confident. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

If we are selling him for a rumoured 40 mil plus mckennie, it seems like a horrendous bit of business to me

Sounds like it's juve trying to talk the transfer into existence. Weston McKennie is shite, hence why juve has been trying to offload him for the last two years and they are trying to upgrade. I very much doubt we have any interest.

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'd be disappointed if we sold him, down right gutted if we did any kind of deal involving McKennie

I don't trust juve to have the money if I'm honest, it'll be player swap, a bit of money today, a bit more when they get paid next month, the rest of it when they feel like it 

According to a report, I have read, Dougie is happy at Villa.

• Like 1

Â