Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Posted (edited)

It would be a shame to see Luiz go but I don’t believe for a second he would be forced in to move for financial reasons. It must be because he wants to leave. 

Personally don’t think he is going anywhere. Said the same thing last time when he hadn’t renewed his contract. He loves it here.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Unless he was getting an insanely desirable move, it seems silly to stay with us for several years when you probably could have gone, then qualify for the CL, and the leave.

I guess Juventus could count as an insanely desirable move.

They'd need to get their chequebooks out though. He's got a long contract and he's one of our best players.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Unless he was getting an insanely desirable move, it seems silly to stay with us for several years when you probably could have gone, then qualify for the CL, and the leave.

I guess Juventus could count as an insanely desirable move.

They'd need to get their chequebooks out though. He's got a long contract and he's one of our best players.

Juventus are one of the biggest clubs in the world, let's not deny that. They finished 3rd and also have Champions League.

He has 2 years left on his contract.

25 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I can live with Doug leaving for some nice bit of cash, but having McKennie as part of the deal just makes me feel so deflated 

I think it does, but as long as we get a large chunk of money to go with it, I could live with it.

If say we got £60m plus McKennie, it wouldn’t be the worst deal in the world albeit I’d prefer if McFlurry wasn’t part of the deal.

If Juventus are strapped for cash and they REALLY want Luiz, then id be looking at players like Soule and Chiesa + cash rather than Weston.

Im fairly confident Luiz will leave this window and I’m pretty comfortable with it. We just need to make sure we don’t f*** up who we replace him with. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think it does, but as long as we get a large chunk of money to go with it, I could live with it.

If say we got £60m plus McKennie, it wouldn’t be the worst deal in the world albeit I’d prefer if McFlurry wasn’t part of the deal.

If Juventus are strapped for cash and they REALLY want Luiz, then id be looking at players like Soule and Chiesa + cash rather than Weston.

Im fairly confident Luiz will leave this window and I’m pretty comfortable with it. We just need to make sure we don’t f*** up who we replace him with. 

Yeah I’m sure Doug is leaving too.. I just don’t want “cast off” players as part of the deal. I’d take more cash and the ability to choose our own replacement 

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

If Juve did want Luiz, and we did want Chiesa, Soule etc, wouldnt the best thing to do be the agreed deals to bolster FFP now by not doing swapsies, but actual transfers (kind of like some clubs are accused of to tweak FFP).

ie: rather than 60m for Luiz plus X/Y player, just agree that they pay 100m for Luiz, then we pay 30m for Soule, 30m for Chiesa, 30m for X player, so we both get the large income on the books now, but purchases are spread over time.

I wondered if that is what was going on with the Barcelona defender, or Barca players, if they wanted Luiz, they agree to buy Luiz for X, we then agree to buy 1/2/3 of their players for Y each, improving our immediate FFP, and theirs, for the risk of costs over time.

Under no circumstances would i want McKennie tho, the guy is cr+p.

• Like 1

Didn't realise Doug only had two years left.

If he won't sign a new deal, he's got to go now bearing in mind our finances.

McKennie is a monstrous downgrade. Juve have been trying to shift him from the moment they signed him.

• Like 1

It's fairly sickening that for years and years we lost players who wanted to get Champions League football and now that we ourselves get Champions League football we still have to lose top player(s) in our squad.

I've been avoiding this thread because I couldn't see a world in which we'd allow him to leave but this constant chatter is... a bit concerning.

For me, Dougie is one of the best in the Premier League (and maybe in the world) at what he does. If he does leave, we don't only need to replace a star midfielder who can do it all, but we also need to replace a corner taker and main penalty taker.

If Weston McKennie is part of the deal, you'd hope he is NOT seen as Dougie's replacement and simply as competition in Kamara's position while we shift both Dendoncker and Chambers. That makes room in the squad - and in the budget - for us to go out and buy an elite centre mid to replace Dougie. 

Fingers crossed all of the above is a hypothetical situation and we don't need to think about it any further.

• Like 1

I would be sad to see DL leave us, but can understand the clubs perspective if we need to churn some money for FFP or whatever it is called these days. Similar to when we sold Grealish, sometimes you need to cash in when someone is at peak value to allow squad investment. DL has two years left on his current contract, so if a new deal looks unlikely it might be the club are looking to cash in now.

Say for example, sell DL replace with McKennie and Baena. McKennie struggled in his half season at Leeds, but if Unai could get him firing then he could be a big asset on the field and off it financially for our image in the US. Baena would be Doug’s replacement and McKennie would cover Kamara until he is fit again, and then rotate with him.

Of course, ideally we keep DL and add players to play with him, and sell someone less important like Carlos or some of the fringe players.

One thing for certain is that I trust Unai, Monchi and his team to know what they are working with, and what they need to continue our trajectory.

9 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Maybe Douglas Luiz has a buyout in his contract and thus the lower valuation.  

Maybe but it wont be for 40m our owners have shown they are not that dumb.

Personally if they are interested and dougie wants to go we should be demanding chiesa not mckennie

If he did leave then Juve wouldn't be a bad place to go from our point of view.  Not one of our rivals, just a small chance we would have to play against them in the CL.  I'm still hoping he signs a new contract here though.

• Like 1

Too much smoke now without fire. Definitely his agent pushing this hard, as either a negotiating position or wanting to move.

He has 2 years left on his contract - his agent will want "160k+". We probably aren't willing to go there. His whole fee is now amortised, so technically he will be a full book profit if sold now (same as selling Ramsey). Also much rather sell him to Juve than a Premier League team.

Although I love Dougie, Our best holding midfield 2 on balance is Kamara (destroyer), Tielemans (passing / ability to move the ball under pressure). Then we have Mcginn and Barkley as backups who can play that role.

Juve have major, major financial problems. I cannot see this happening at all unless the player is keen to move or his agent is using speculation to get a new contract. 

McKennie's Representative for North East Somerset of an agent is usually pretty vocal on twitter. He'll start yapping if something is close.

Â