Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Other than the general idea that we need to raise some money to help with FFP, which doesn't have to specifiially mean Luiz or any of our most important players

Is any of this recent talk predicated on an even just semi-reliable journalist reporting on the possibility of him being sold

The only talk I have seen is of Juventus and that seems to have come from Gazzetta which isn't seen as a good source at all

And I googled the specific journalist who tweeted about it yesterday and the results were sayng he isn't reliable, and a lot of the answers were from Juventus fans

I don't understand how people think they're so savy when it comes to not believeing clickbait, and will mock the cliches journalists write and so on,  but also time and time again clickbait will generate pages and pages of discussion

We could technially sell Luiz, but as it stands as far as we know it's only an idea, not much of any relliablity to suggest it's actually going to happen

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Selling 5 or 6 players who get game-time could be even more damaging than selling one better player who plays all the time. If we sell a bunch we'd need to replace them, we're light on depth as it is with few youth prospects ready to step up. 

I agree about depth and when I say grouped that could be just two or three.  Selling Duran, Digne and Tim for example or Duran and Ramsey.

The only reason we are selling is to give ourselves headroom to buy more players.

It’s all a moot point anyway, you have to have a buyer willing to pay an acceptable fee for any player to go.  We don’t know if any club  is going to be interested at the right price for any of our players.

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Would they? Would anyone bid over £50m for either? £40m? Not for me.

We need numbers. We'll be in a right mess if we sold the 10 you mentioned and signed any less than 12 more.

I didn’t say sell the 10, I said I would sell any of those before I sold Dougie.

As for Dougie, do we know if anybody is going to bid over £50m for him?  There will obviously be interest and we want a huge fee for him but is anybody paying?  I think he’s worth £100m but I’m wondering if there is even interested buyers above £50m.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

It's people lazily repeating the story regardless of it's likelihood, and when something gets repeated enough times it starts to get taken as fact. But there's not actually anything of any real substance to suggest we're going to sell Luiz over any of our other players.

Now I do agree with this.

I think to not be forced into it next year though, we'll have to qualify for the Champions League again.

That will be very very very difficult.

So I wouldn't put it past us trying to control it ourselves and move players at peak value, than off the back of an average season.

We'll see.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Selling Duran, Digne and Tim for example or Duran and Ramsey.

I think it's likely we will be selling the 1st 3 of those and probably one or both of the 2 others.

Ramsey being injured appears to be the only reason he wouldn't move on.

Digne could also stay depending on us finding a replacement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I didn’t say sell the 10, I said I would sell any of those before I sold Dougie.

Yeah. So would everyone else.

As for Dougie, do we know if anybody is going to bid over £50m for him?

Nope.

There will obviously be interest and we want a huge fee for him but is anybody paying?  I think he’s worth £100m but I’m wondering if there is even interested buyers above £50m.

Juve and Arsenal looking supposedly? Juve can't afford it. Arsenal probably won't pay up.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I love Dougie. But nobody is offering 80m for him in the current climate.

Agreed, hence why we shouldn’t sell him then.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Yeah. So would everyone else.

Nope.

Juve and Arsenal looking supposedly? Juve can't afford it. Arsenal probably won't pay up.

So our discussion is pointless 🤝

For the most part we struggled whenever one of Kamara or Luiz were missing, we have very little depth there as it is and Kamara is out until probably next year. Luiz is one of the last players I'd be selling this summer, we need to add to CM not create an entire new one.

• Like 1

Just now, colhint said:

Tell you what, Dougie would be perfect for England. 

Agreed, he would manage this team far better than Southgate😉

• Haha 1

That update from Di Marzio translated:

Douglas Luiz-Juventus, the situation

Juventus is aiming for Douglas Luiz. The midfielder born in 1998 is valued at 60 million euros by Aston Villa. The English club has targeted Weston McKennie and an exchange is being worked on.
The Brazilian midfielder asks for €6.5 million net per season and is linked to Aston Villa by a contract until 2026. Weston McKennie, on the other hand, still has a year of contract with Juventus. The American is valued at $30 million by Juventus.
Douglas Luiz played 35 Premier League games in the season, scoring nine goals and providing 3 assists. The Brazilian also has played another 14 matches in the UEFA Conference League, scoring one goal and providing four assists.

4 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

Unfortunately, Di Marzio is very, very reliable. Gutted. 

He still doesn’t say it’s happening tho

51 minutes ago, nick76 said:

As for Dougie, do we know if anybody is going to bid over £50m for him?  There will obviously be interest and we want a huge fee for him but is anybody paying?  I think he’s worth £100m but I’m wondering if there is even interested buyers above £50m.

I think similar. The recent seasons Chelsea money and Saudi bids have clouded people's opinions a bit of player worth. Only a handful of clubs have every bought a player for 100m. Palmer (one of the most successful purchases) went for 50.

I think Luiz is worth as much as some of those Chelsea signings, but I think very very few clubs can spend that sort of money and also have a need for him. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, omariqy said:

He still doesn’t say it’s happening tho

No, agreed, however this all but confirms that the two clubs are in conversation about the two players, which is bad enough.

Â