Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

2 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

How does one strengthen the squad by selling one of its best players. It took us almost 2 seasons to recover from selling Jack.  Any midfielder bought to replace luiz would have to hit the ground running or our champions league campaign is over before it ever starts.  Selling luiz, especially with kamara unavailable for the first half of the season is plain craziness. Luiz was top 3 in the minutes played this campaign. Selling him would leave a massive hole. We would be weaker for it, especially in the short term. 

The stats I posted on Luiz show how important he is for us - he touched the ball more than any other midfielder, made more passes, made more meters passing the ball forwards, etc.  That isn't to say that he is indispensible but selling him would probably have more potential impact on the way we play than selling any other player.  Certainly any other midfielder.  So it would be a big risk replacing him with someone else as if it doesn't work straight away then it could take a while for the team to start ticking again.

You only need to look at our PPG towards the end of the season when Luiz was struggling in the DCM position and compare that to our PPG earlier on the season when a lot of pundits were talking about him being one of the most influential midfielders in the PL.  The fact that Tielemans and McGinn did a number on Arsenal really doesn't mean that they'd do the same job over 30+ games in the season.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

How does one strengthen the squad by selling one of its best players.

By bringing in three good players to take the place of one.

7 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

It took us almost 2 seasons to recover from selling Jack.  Any midfielder bought to replace luiz would have to hit the ground running or our champions league campaign is over before it ever starts.  Selling luiz, especially with kamara unavailable for the first half of the season is plain craziness. Luiz was top 3 in the minutes played this campaign. Selling him would leave a massive hole. We would be weaker for it, especially in the short term. 

Luiz isn't Jack though is he. He's nowhere near as good and he's not carrying us on his own.

He's part of great team and wasn't even in the best XI on form at the end of the season.

That yellow he got against Brentford was an incredible sliding doors moment IMO. We'd have lost at Arsenal if he played, because he was done. Gassed. Spent. Expunged.

I don't want to sell him. Not seen a single person that does despite every day someone posting WHY DO PEOPLE WANT TO SELL LUIZ?!

If we have to sell someone to raise money. It's Duran. If we have to sell someone else, it's Doug.

We were very nearly top at Christmas.  If we sell any of the key players we'd be nuts imo.  We need smart signings that allow our key players to be fresher in March, April and May.  They don't need to be £40m+ players.  We need a smart signing to cover Kamara and allow Doug to do his stuff.  He nearly had double figure goals in half a season plus his assists and other work.  Incredible output.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

What don't you understand about the need to raise money to strengthen the whole squad?

Haha :- D I do understand that, if we need to raise money, but I don't think selling one of our very best players and replace him with two or three players at 1/2 or 1/3 the price of Luiz would necessairily strengthen us, not even sure they would go straight into the starting 11. Perhaps a new RB at that price would be a starter, but then I'd rather sell someone else and bring that RB in. To compete in the CL I think we need to keep our very best players and bring in players who can increase the quality of the starting 11, not sell our best players and bring in a bunch of lower quality.  

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

We were very nearly top at Christmas.  If we sell any of the key players we'd be nuts imo.  We need smart signings that allow our key players to be fresher in March, April and May.  They don't need to be £40m+ players.  We need a smart signing to cover Kamara and allow Doug to do his stuff.  He nearly had double figure goals in half a season plus his assists and other work.  Incredible output.

What happens if we start the season without a Kamara replacement?

Will Doug be excused from putting in any sort of decent performances?

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

What happens if we start the season without a Kamara replacement?

Will Doug be excused from putting in any sort of decent performances?

If we start the season without a new defensive midfielder I'll stick my head up a cow's arse.  I'm trying to envisage a scenario where Unai hasn't spotted the major flaw in the team and not corrected it and it just doesn't compute.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

If we have to sell someone else, it's Doug.

It’s just not, there are others that can before him.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

If we start the season without a new defensive midfielder I'll stick my head up a cow's arse.  I'm trying to envisage a scenario where Unai hasn't spotted the major flaw in the team and not corrected it and it just doesn't compute.

I'm sure he's seen it. But perhaps, if we don't sell anyone, he may not be able to do too much about it.

And how much do we spend on a guy who will presumably be on the bench when Kamara and Doug and Tielemans are all fit?

Questions, questions.

Watch out daisy.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, nick76 said:

It’s just not, there are others that can before him.

Who? Apart from Duran, because obviously, we'd sell him before Doug if it was a straight choice, which it won't be.

Edited by Tomaszk

36 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

What don't you understand about the need to raise money to strengthen the whole squad?

Why not sell Watkins then? That would generate the most money, no?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Who? Apart from Duran, because obviously, we'd sell him before Doug if it was a straight choice, which it won't be.

Given the choice, I'd sell most of the squad before Doug. I think I'd sell Watkins before Doug. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

In no particular order Carlos, Ramsey, Cash, Digne/Moreno, Tielemans, Konsa, Archer, Dendoncker, Timmy, Rogers….don’t see why Dougie would before any of them, he’s probably on level with some but Dougie is Emery’s go to man on the pitch so he’s no more in front of any of them.  

He's been great for us but TBH I back the manager and recruitment team to find alternative options that improve the overall squad. He's a very good player but IMO more replaceable than eg Ollie. 

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Given the choice, I'd sell most of the squad before Doug. I think I'd sell Watkins before Doug. 

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Why not sell Watkins then? That would generate the most money, no?

Yep, that's the tough choice we might have to make.

I wouldn't do that myself, but it's a tough one either way.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

In no particular order Carlos, Ramsey, Cash, Digne/Moreno, Tielemans, Konsa, Archer, Dendoncker, Timmy, Rogers….don’t see why Dougie would before any of them, he’s probably on level with some but Dougie is Emery’s go to man on the pitch so he’s no more in front of any of them.  

Yeah so the only player of any real value there is Ramsey. 

Obviously, everyone would sell all the others ahead of Doug.

What about Watkins? Martinez? Bailey? Torres? Players who would actually make us £60m+.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Yep, that's the tough choice we might have to make.

I wouldn't do that myself, but it's a tough one either way.

Yeah so the only player of any real value there is Ramsey. 

Obviously, everyone would sell all the others ahead of Doug.

What about Watkins? Martinez? Bailey? Torres? Players who would actually make us £60m+.

Tielemans and Konsa would rake in good money

As for your last question, you asked me who and I gave you a list names and whether individually or some grouped together could get good money.  I wouldn’t sell Dougie, Martinez, Torres or Watkins full stop.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

As for your last question, you asked me who and I gave you a list names and whether individually or some grouped together could get good money.  I wouldn’t sell Dougie, Martinez, Torres or Watkins full stop.

Selling 5 or 6 players who get game-time could be even more damaging than selling one better player who plays all the time. If we sell a bunch we'd need to replace them, we're light on depth as it is with few youth prospects ready to step up. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Then keep him.

I can think of about sixteen others I'd sell before him.

Not as simple as that. He is quite likely to go and 80 mil is the very highest we would get for him if he does.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Would they? Would anyone bid over £50m for either? £40m? Not for me.

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We need numbers. We'll be in a right mess if we sold the 10 you mentioned and signed any less than 12 more.

Edited by Tomaszk

It's people lazily repeating the story regardless of it's likelihood, and when something gets repeated enough times it starts to get taken as fact. But there's not actually anything of any real substance to suggest we're going to sell Luiz over any of our other players.

• Like 1

Â