Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

He's been a big player for us over the years and I'd prefer to have him here than not, but I'm also fairly confident we'll be able to survive without him. I don't particularly care what Juve fans think about the players they're giving us in return; I seem to recall being told we'd been had when we bought Rodgers for £15m or whatever it was. We thought most of our players were rubbish before Emery arrived.

Good luck at Juve, Doug, and thanks for the memories. Certainly glad you signed that new contract just before Gerrard got sacked!

• Like 3

Who the f*** in their right mind could value McKennie at 25m. He's worth about 10m max. Then a kid who's got 33 appearance and got 1 goal valued at 20-30m. WTF

It's a shit deal inflating the prices of players that aren't even anywhere near the level as DL to make it look like we've got a good deal for him. Idiots imo. Might help with PSR but it's a huge downgrade.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The deal will work like this. 

Juventus buy Luiz for €70m 

Aston Villa buy Weston McKennie for €30m on 5 year contract

Aston Villa buy Illing Junior for €20m on 5 year contract

In terms of our accounts (excluding salaries) this is a ~€65 profit on Luiz and then 6 + 4 = 10m per year cost in amortisation from new players.

So total PSR account benefit over a single account year = €55m

£30m for McKennie on a 5 year contract... Yikes.

14 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Which bit?

The selling Luiz for E70m?

or buying McKennie for E30m?

or buying Illing for E20m?

All of it. 

I'd rather we didn't sell him at all, but I'd certainly value him way higher than £59m in today's market.

The other two are overpriced and I refuse to believe they would have made it anywhere near our want list if we weren't desperate to sell.

The whole situation **** reeks.

39 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The deal will work like this. 

Juventus buy Luiz for €70m 

Aston Villa buy Weston McKennie for €30m on 5 year contract

Aston Villa buy Illing Junior for €20m on 5 year contract

In terms of our accounts (excluding salaries) this is a ~€65 profit on Luiz and then 6 + 4 = 10m per year cost in amortisation from new players.

So total PSR account benefit over a single account year = €55m

Didn't Juve get a points deduction doing something similar to this for the Pjanić - Arthur Melo swap?

17 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Mass suicide pact needed for some of the dramatic bitches on here. 

Jesus christ.

So you're on board with the systematic dismantling of the competitive side of English football and turning the beautiful game into an exercise in advanced accounting.

Got it.

9 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Who the f*** in their right mind could value McKennie at 25m. He's worth about 10m max. Then a kid who's got 33 appearance and got 1 goal valued at 20-30m. WTF

It's a shit deal inflating the prices of players that aren't even anywhere near the level as DL to make it look like we've got a good deal for him. Idiots imo. Might help with PSR but it's a huge downgrade.

You’ve said it perfectly. This is my biggest gripe about it all. They’re levels below DL’s. 

Got a feeling, or at least a hope, that there'll be a lot of people with egg on their faces and football pie all over their shirts about this by the time our squad comes together.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, trillvillan said:

You’ve said it perfectly. This is my biggest gripe about it all. They’re levels below DL’s. 

Two coming in fill other spaces the DL replacement will follow

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

Got a feeling, or at least a hope, that there'll be a lot of people with egg on their faces and football pie all over their shirts about this by the time our squad comes together.

In a way it's almost academic whether we make the most of this and come out on top of the deal.

It's the fact that it wouldn't be happening if not for meddling forces who invented the most ridiculous excuse for financial control that does not, in fact, ensure sustainability in any way - just allows clubs to kick the debt down the road in much the same way that 'rich' dickheads like Trump do. The upshot of which, in this situation, is that we do not generate enough revenue and have not been smart enough with our finances prior to now to get away with it for this current 'PSR cycle'.

It's bollocks, whether we come out smelling like roses or not, we shouldn't have to do this. The autonomy is taken out of the market completely. It's shit economics and it's not good for football, even if you're staring into your crystal ball and saying we're going to improve as a result.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s a big risk moving on DL for sure. His unbelievable run of form where he was comfortably our best player coincided with Villas brilliant run of form over the first half of the season. Can we recreate that form without him in midfield? Having said that he was often poor and frustrating in the second half of the season so if his end of season form would have continued in to next season then it is less of an issue. Trust in Unai.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

This says it all. The guy seems to be Dougie's concierge so the "cries" part would suggest Dougie is off. If this is purely be use of the PSR rules it's disgusting. However, our top management, the businessmen, should have known this would happen and planned better for it. 

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

This says it all. The guy seems to be Dougie's concierge so the "cries" part would suggest Dougie is off. If this is purely be use of the PSR rules it's disgusting. However, our top management, the businessmen, should have known this would happen and planned better for it. 

Sounds like a choice of signing a new deal or moving on? The fingers crossed emoji or reply to someone could be hope of him sticking around perhaps…

Edited by Jas10

It’s all a bit uninspiring this transfer saga involving Luiz, McKennie and Iling-Jnr but I do trust Emery, Monchi etc. This isn’t blind faith but a realistic view that we needed to bring money in and fast. The pace of this transfer shows that, I don’t like it but get it.

Probably unfair to make judgment on arriving players until we see them perform. For now, I wish Dougie well and thank him for his excellent contribution. Will miss him but have this nagging feeling that we’ll see Dougie again very soon and Juve at Villa Park in the CL next season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

How do you think they should’ve planned better for it?

Â