Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

9 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Looks like he will go. But I'm struggling to believe this swap deal/part exchange thing. They rarely happen and rarely work out.

And surely he can do better than Juventus. Arsenal will surely just step in at some stage.

It did cross my mind that we were using them to flush out other teams that are interested 

26 minutes ago, djdabush said:

Villa fans think we are getting shafted, Juve fans think they are the ones who are getting screwed. I suspected it's probably a fairly decent deal for both sides and we will especially appreciate the wiggle room it will gives us with PSR.

A good deal is rarely, if ever, liked by both sides of the deal but making it happen must mean that both sides are convinced one way or the other that it’s a good deal for them that’s how a market works, from the Bullring to the stock market. Monchi is a pretty savvy operator and Unai, knows the bigger picture that he wants to arrive at by the start of next season, we’re in good hands now. UTV!!!!!!!

I think it's important to consider that this year's market isn't the same as last year, so fees are going to be lower because all English clubs have been clipped by PSR.

There aren't many clubs who afford what we want for him, so a deal with 60m euros might feel a bit light to some (and me, tbh) but it's not bad if these are two players that Emery wants and can help him build the side he has envisaged.

Will be sad to see him go but that's life. 

• Like 1

We must be really desperate with FFP if we're willing to accept this. 

I trust Emery 100% but I can't help but feel disappointed with this. 

• Like 1

Rather have Mathias Soule and Dean Huijsen and cash for Luiz and I wouldn’t be surprised if we are negotiating multiple differently structured deals… 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gaz90 said:

At least you're honest about it, unlike many people on here who appear to be infuriated by things that they don't fully understand (not just the PSR rules, but our financial position, needing a balanced squad with possibly many irons in the fire that will pan out over the coming months, the need to boost homegrown numbers for squad quotas etc.).

My understanding is that we sell Dougie for the full value of the deal e.g. McKennie is worth £20m, Iling-Junior is worth £20m and £20m cash, so Dougie is bought for £60m. We then buy those two for £20m apiece going the other way, but that is amortised over the span of the contract, so 5 year contracts mean the players cost £4m each year. So that's effectively £52m on our books for this year, barring a couple of other things, such as City's sell-on bonus (if it's still active) and the period over which those fees are amortised over (as its nearly the end of the account period).

The issue isn't about the money coming in. Nassef was effectively saying in the FT article this money that we're ambitious and we want to spend more than we can, but we're prevented by the rules. It's all about balancing the books unfortunately, but many other things come into play, such as Dougie having two years on his contract, possibly not being willing to sign a new contract and us taking whatever interest from other clubs that we get in players (which seems minimal at the moment, despite what people on this board are saying). 

To reiterate what others have said already, Emery has my full trust. I love Dougie and he'll be a big loss initially, but none of us know the full details and none of us know more about the pair from Juve than Emery (apparently Iling-Junior could be a future superstar). With what he's done to our players already, I think he's earned enough credit for us to trust him in this. Combine this with the fact that none of us really know all of the details of what's going on at the club, I think those that are getting angry should calm down, safe in the knowledge that we'll be a much better team next season than the one we were when Emery first came in. 

Bumping this very sensible post 

• Thanks 2

Let's be honest, we all valued Luiz at £70m+ when the season ended, if Juve pay us £20m then we're basically signing McKennie & Iling for £50m+

We're having our pants pulled down. 

1 hour ago, gaz90 said:

At least you're honest about it, unlike many people on here who appear to be infuriated by things that they don't fully understand (not just the PSR rules, but our financial position, needing a balanced squad with possibly many irons in the fire that will pan out over the coming months, the need to boost homegrown numbers for squad quotas etc.).

My understanding is that we sell Dougie for the full value of the deal e.g. McKennie is worth £20m, Iling-Junior is worth £20m and £20m cash, so Dougie is bought for £60m. We then buy those two for £20m apiece going the other way, but that is amortised over the span of the contract, so 5 year contracts mean the players cost £4m each year. So that's effectively £52m on our books for this year, barring a couple of other things, such as City's sell-on bonus (if it's still active) and the period over which those fees are amortised over (as its nearly the end of the account period).

The issue isn't about the money coming in. Nassef was effectively saying in the FT article this money that we're ambitious and we want to spend more than we can, but we're prevented by the rules. It's all about balancing the books unfortunately, but many other things come into play, such as Dougie having two years on his contract, possibly not being willing to sign a new contract and us taking whatever interest from other clubs that we get in players (which seems minimal at the moment, despite what people on this board are saying). 

To reiterate what others have said already, Emery has my full trust. I love Dougie and he'll be a big loss initially, but none of us know the full details and none of us know more about the pair from Juve than Emery (apparently Iling-Junior could be a future superstar). With what he's done to our players already, I think he's earned enough credit for us to trust him in this. Combine this with the fact that none of us really know all of the details of what's going on at the club, I think those that are getting angry should calm down, safe in the knowledge that we'll be a much better team next season than the one we were when Emery first came in. 

This should be pinned at the top of this thread, the Weston McKennie thread, the Iling Jr thread and the Summer Transfer Window thread where it becomes mandatory reading otherwise you are not allowed to post.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

For what it's worth, many Juve fans on Twitter think this deal is better for us than it is them.  A lot of them value McKennie and Iling-Junior and don't want them to leave.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MSvillain said:

thanks for that input but he’s saying there is a sell on clause, not a buy back clause

No problem, pleased I can help quell the drama queen's obsession with giving Doug way for 2 packets of crisps and a Mars bar of which man city have to have bite of, ridiculous.

It's as if the forum been invaded by rival fans trying to upset our pleasant summer break with champions league to look forward to......might pop over to the Sha forum to see what there upto.

Edited by tinker
  • Haha 1

I think this is a disaster but understand why we’ve had to do it.

We are paying the price for Gerrard driving down the value of our best players, signing flops on massive wages and generally wasting a whole year of potential progress.

I think Emery will do a good job without Dougie but it’s just such a shame to lose a player who probably would have happily stuck around but for these rules which don’t really serve their intended purpose (or maybe they do!?)

• Like 2

I'm a huge fan of Douglas, since we signed him I backed him and defended him when he was getting stick, have loved seeing him grow from a prospect to top-level midfielder with us and would be gutted to see him leave...but at the same time I do think if we have to see one of our big players leave this summer then he is probably the most replaceable. At least more than a Watkins or Martinez would be.

As good of a player as he is, one deficiency that needs to be addressed in the squad is a general lack of physicality/athleticism and that is something that is applicable to him at least relatively at this level. He's not a completely unique profile of midfielder so as sad as I'd be to see him go there's a chance to come out of the situation having built a more balanced squad.

52 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

We must be really desperate with FFP if we're willing to accept this. 

I trust Emery 100% but I can't help but feel disappointed with this. 

Its seem ludicrous that we can sell Luiz and sign Gallagher and be in a better situation FFP wise. It's a crazy system.

21 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

but for these rules which don’t really serve their intended purpose (or maybe they do!?)

They do, and they don’t. 

it keeps clubs from vastly over spending and sending themselves broke. 

however it’s a brickwall for clubs in our situation. We can’t get the commercial revenue that the big clubs get without winning, but to win you need to get better players, and you can’t get the better players without the on the books revenue. All the non “big clubs” are stuck in that loop and to break it has costs, such as Villa losing one our best players to an already “big” club. What strengthens them more and weakens our chance to bring a “big club” ourselves. 

it’s a good rule on paper, but has served as a gatekeeping device to protect the existing elite 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

First I'm hearing this.

Ty referenced it on Twitter as a rumour - I haven't seen it reported by any media though.

The worry for me is if we lose Luiz and he’s replaced with barkley and Mckennie our midfield has declined significantly, and we’re not really replacing Luiz. Kamara will miss a few months of the season too and will take time to get back up to speed. It’s just not what you want to have going into our first champions league season. 

• Like 2

Â