Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

17 minutes ago, duke313 said:

This is the most simple explanation IMO.  His contract is up in two years, he's our best midfielder and is earning half of what Kamara and Tielemans are on.  All this is, is his agent stoking the flames to get him a better deal.

He's not as good as Kamara for me, and he's not earning half of his salary. He's probably earning half of Digne's which would rightly irk.

• Like 1

I love Dougy, but I could understand him being sold.

I think his partnership with Kamara has made him look better than he actually is. He's still very good, but Kamara really drives him on to the next level.

As a result I think we could get a fee that is actually comfortably more than he is worth, so I can understand it being entertained.

I don't want to sell him, but if we do have to sell a player or some players, then I can understand why this might be the one to go

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He's not as good as Kamara for me, and he's not earning half of his salary. He's probably earning half of Digne's which would rightly irk.

According to online sources (which may or may not be correct), Tielemans and Kamara are on £150,000 p/w and Luiz is on £75,000 p/w.

£150,000 ÷ 2 = £75,000 🤷‍♂️

Edited by duke313

46 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

That's what I meant by 'the group stage' tbh, sorry if that was unclear. I guess I should have said 'the league stage' or something. 

Still, it's a minimum 8 games and you only have to be in the top 24 out of 36 teams to progress to the knockouts.

I'd say we've got a decent chance of doing that. It's not a given of course, but still

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I love Dougy, but I could understand him being sold.

I think his partnership with Kamara has made him look better than he actually is. He's still very good, but Kamara really drives him on to the next level.

As a result I think we could get a fee that is actually comfortably more than he is worth, so I can understand it being entertained.

I don't want to sell him, but if we do have to sell a player or some players, then I can understand why this might be the one to go

Yeah I don't want him to leave, but he makes the most sense. Kamara, Tielemans, McGinn, Ramsey, Morgan, Barkley plus whoever we use the money on should be good enough.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Yeah I don't want him to leave, but he makes the most sense. Kamara, Tielemans, McGinn, Ramsey, Morgan, Barkley plus whoever we use the money on should be good enough.

I really don't think that list is good enough for Champions League level team. If we sell Luiz we need to replace with a better player which seems impossible.

19 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I'm going to need to check this. I'll come back to you in a few days.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, duke313 said:

According to online sources (which may or may not be correct), Tielemans and Kamara are on £150,000 p/w and Luiz is on £75,000 p/w.

No doubt he deserves and is due a new deal… seems the more likely scenario, anyway. He has contributed massively.

53 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Koopmeiners is to @paul514 what Chiesa is to you.... And what any player over 6 ft 3 is to TRO. 

Scenes and head explosions when we sign Chiesa AND Koopmeiners! 🤯

I'd be pleased if we signed him but I am a gambler when it comes to signing players, I just look for the good bets with what we need, He was an excellent bet when you could buy him for 10m, now that he is at least 4 times that and 4 years older I'd sign someone else, namely Mats Wieffer and Maxence Carequet 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Since it’s the constant discussion or trend…

Why not sell Tielemans rather than Luiz then? 

A few decent games and people think he’s somehow better and can be relied on for a full season… absolutely not. Dougie is much better and way more reliable… he’s demonstrated that.

We need players that are largely consistent and can remain relatively injury free… guys that can be relied on. The main ones that have managed to do that are Luiz, McGinn, Konsa, Watkins… we can’t afford to lose these guys and would suffer a drop off (last thing we need) if we did…new players don’t often hit the ground running or hit peak form immediately. It’s not easy to find replacements of the required quality either… even Unai has said this!

Not that I want to sell any important players (including Youri, we need a quality squad)… but there are other options  besides Dougie if there actually is a need to sell (do we really know that or have any factual evidence or information to back that up?)… but we have less important players to get rid of and generate funds from also, I assume that’s the priority.

It’s no wonder some of our players struggled for form this year when they have had to play so many minutes and have lost key teammates that helped them out, most of all Kamara. I’m disappointed in how many are forgetting just how good and consistent Dougie has actually been for us… he is crucial and highly valued and appreciated by Unai.

Luiz and Kamara is genuinely one of the best midfield partnerships in the league and has the potential to be even better or truly elite….

Some people have really short memories… the form, assist, goals and performances of Dougie over the majority of the season (and last, and why we got ECL) has been a huge factor in what we have achieved, Champions League football!

We can't get anywhere near the same money for someone like Tielemans as for Luiz. If ffp is the reason for sale and not something specific to Luiz situation.

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

We can't get anywhere near the same money for someone like Tielemans as for Luiz. If ffp is the reason for sale and not something specific to Luiz situation.

Well… we got him for free and he has shown good form so we could make a tidy profit if we wanted to and depending on interest.

Who knows what sort of incoming fee we actually need… why sell a key player to bring in two average players, for instance? Or players that may have the quality but would need a full season to adapt and integrate… why risk such a setback?

Personally, I’d rather hang on to our better players and be relatively frugal or savvy (pick up quality frees, good players at reduced fees due to expiring contracts etc) than risk disrupting the balance and momentum we have or having to “start again, from scratch” in certain, key areas… we can’t afford a slip up or regression at this stage. 

Anyway…

let’s just wait and see how things pan out, window isn’t open for another 10 days yet and a long, long way to go until it’s closed…

By now, we should all know that the media spout constant nonsense and BS, revel in speculation etc to get traffic, clicks, exposure… we see it in every transfer window and only a very small percentage of all that shite has any actual truth to it. There aren’t really any or many actual itks…

Rather than believe everything that is written… let’s apply a bit of logic, sense and perspective and, if something happens, react to it accordingly.

There’s no way we’re selling Luiz for 40m and having McKennie thrown into the deal for instance… it’s obvious made up shite and attracts a lot of attention…  

if players like Fernandez and Caicedo go  for 100m odd… there’s no reason why someone like Dougie should go for much less… and that’s without even discussing whether the club would want him to leave or he would even have any interest in going anywhere… it’s just more speculation… why do we believe it so easily? Just cos someone wrote something like “Luiz wants a new challenge” online, why do we choose to believe it? Has anyone even talked to the guy? Nope.

It’s ridiculous.

There’s every chance that he’s happy and wants to extend his deal, while improving terms.

No one knows..

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

The more I think about it this reeks of a new contract around the corner. This sort of news tends to happen right before signing a contract. Could be wrong but happened with both Cash and Watkins 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

It's fairly sickening that for years and years we lost players who wanted to get Champions League football and now that we ourselves get Champions League football we still have to lose top player(s) in our squad.

I have been saying it for a while. Finishing 4th and qualifying for Champions League is not the mythical unicorn that some people seem to think it is. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I have been saying it for a while. Finishing 4th and qualifying for Champions League is not the mythical unicorn that some people seem to think it is. 

Whilst it may not be, we can at least rule out players wanting to move to play Champions League football.

5 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

It's fairly sickening that for years and years we lost players who wanted to get Champions League football and now that we ourselves get Champions League football we still have to lose top player(s) in our squad.

Every single club on the planet loses players. And unless you're Real Madrid or Man City it's usually to "bigger" clubs.

Champions League football doesn't change that, it just reduces it

• Like 2

2 hours ago, striker said:
3 hours ago, Dillon66 said:

Maybe we should buy Koopmeiners and really piss on their chips.......he's a great player.

Have watched Koop several times and never been impressed. No thanks.

You don’t rate Dougie, you don’t rate Koopmeiners but you rate Kalvin Phillips.😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If dougie is sold its because he wont sign a new deal and Selling him helps us with FFP and protects club from losing his value next summed when he only has 12 months left- where we can risk losing him on a free which would be a complete disaster.

But i just dobt see why luiz would want to go. If we missed CL then i would get it but why go now? It doesnt make much sense to me if he did

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Czarnikjak said:

Why was Monchi in Turin then? Sightseeing?

Looking/Talking at any number of players, doesn’t mean one of our best players is going the other way.

• Like 3

Â