Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

2 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

How does one strengthen the squad by selling one of its best players. It took us almost 2 seasons to recover from selling Jack.  Any midfielder bought to replace luiz would have to hit the ground running or our champions league campaign is over before it ever starts.  Selling luiz, especially with kamara unavailable for the first half of the season is plain craziness. Luiz was top 3 in the minutes played this campaign. Selling him would leave a massive hole. We would be weaker for it, especially in the short term. 

By investing the money into other players that Unai and Monchi believe have bigger ceilings and hold us in a good position with all these restraints. 

trust Luiz is not the messiah in my opinion and some of his pure lazy and non 1% plays irritated the fark out of me. I understand them selling him opposed to Ramsay. Trust the process both Unai and Monchi have the runs on the board.

Personally think it’s a smart move if we’re able to get 70-80M for him. Everyone’s opinions will very though. 

• Like 2

Selling Luiz at his peak value would I feel be very Liverpool/Coutinho moment for us. What I wouldn't like is replacing him with McKennie and some spare change. 

• Like 1

Would be surprised if Juve can afford Luiz and the calibre of clubs being linked with Dougie should be a big clue to the doubters how good a player he is.

If Luiz won't sign a new deal and there's nothing to suggest he won't, then now is the optimal time to cash in. He's out most naturally gifted player, he's been out of form, but still young and a very important player for us.

Would need to be 60m+ for it to be worth our while to sell him unless Unai and Monchi feel that they can significantly improve the squad with those funds.

19 minutes ago, Ceemo said:

That update from Di Marzio translated:

The valuations here are total bollocks. We rejected a £30m bid from Arsenal when we were a bottom half side under Gerrard, and Luiz had 6 months left on his contract.

£30m for an overweight Leeds flop 😂😂 

Didn’t Juve’s entire board have to step down over dodgy player sales? They can’t afford Luiz.

Maybe Luiz is indifferent to staying? He's got 2 years left, and if he's shown no inclination to renew at this stage then it'd make sense that we'd strongly consider selling him - we cannot afford to let a player of that value leave for free or a vastly reduced fee next summer.

Replacing him with McKennie is a different question, as that'd be madness based on what I've seen of him

30 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

More of the same. Speculating money plus McKennie but our valuation is different to theirs. I’m hoping this is a load of old rubbish. 

I really can't believe Juventus will get anywhere near the valuation we have for him. It would be completely different if any of Real Madrid, PSG or Arsenal were in as you know those clubs have endless money to spend.

When did Juventus last spend 50m + on a midfielder? They signed Pogba for free, Rabiot also came on a free transfer and going way back they signed Pjanic for 25m in 2016 when he was one of the best CMs in Serie A.

They are completely mugging us off if they think we'd just willingly accept McKennie being valued at 30m. They signed him for 15m and while he's done o.k for them he wouldn't even be worth 5m based on his Leeds spell.

To me this stinks a bit of Juventus seeing us making the CL and thinking we'll willingly help them with FFP issues. They pulled this trick a few years ago when they convinced Barca to swop Pjanic and Artur which was completely pointless and both players flopped after moving. Perhaps they've got Monchi onside but I'd really prefer not to deal with them if they're offering derisory deals for Doug.

5 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

Selling Luiz at his peak value would I feel be very Liverpool/Coutinho moment for us. What I wouldn't like is replacing him with McKennie and some spare change. 

Yes that would definitely be a head scratcher for sure. Tbf haven’t seen a hell of a lot of McKennie to give  a thorough evaluation on him but when I’ve seen him play it’s been lacklustre.

Barkley is a solid signing, Baeno would be too. Those two players in themselves cover Luiz loss. Should be an interesting and exciting window nevertheless 

4 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Maybe Luiz is indifferent to staying? He's got 2 years left, and if he's shown no inclination to renew at this stage then it'd make sense that we'd strongly consider selling him - we cannot afford to let a player of that value leave for free or a vastly reduced fee next summer.

Replacing him with McKennie is a different question, as that'd be madness based on what I've seen of him

Did you see the way he celebrated Duran’s equaliser against Liverpool? Nothing indifferent about it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Now I do agree with this.

I think to not be forced into it next year though, we'll have to qualify for the Champions League again.

That will be very very very difficult.

So I wouldn't put it past us trying to control it ourselves and move players at peak value, than off the back of an average season.

We'll see.

Yes next summer if we drop to 6th-7th it is inevitable at least one big player will leave. I think Ramsey is nailed on to leave next summer personally if Rogers continues to make excellent impact and Buendia returns and contributes.

Perhaps with all this speculation Doug has just informed the club he won't sign a new deal so he's given us a decent period to start sourcing replacements. Wouldn't have an issue considering he could've easily gone on strike when Arsenal came in but chose to stay in the end.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Those valuations don't make sense. Too low for Douglas Luiz and far too high for McKennie (with 1 year left)

Juventus going to Juventus.

This is the deal I was on about. Both valuations massively inflated to help both clubs with FFP and also was the first few months of Covid:

Barcelona confirm £75m Arthur and £59m Miralem Pjanic deals with Juventus | Football News | Sky Sports

I bet they're trying to pull the same trick with us especially as they do have some younger players in their squad who would be of interest to us so might aswell just put McKennie in aswell and hope we haven't noticed they've added an extra nought valuing him at 30m!

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Did you see the way he celebrated Duran’s equaliser against Liverpool? Nothing indifferent about it.

I think that was more being invested into getting us into the CL. Playing in that for us and I get the feeling he might think his "journey" with us has been completed. 

See if he starts in the Copa America for Brazil. If he doesn't then he still hasn't got a regular place so that will be important for him with the World cup two years out.

16 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Fair.

Im not suggesting he doesn't love Villa or doesn't want to stay (as in "I hate it, can't wait to leave") - maybe he fancies a different challenge, culture, fresh start. The point I was trying to make is that maybe this isn't entirely "Aston Villa want to sell Douglas Luiz because of FFP/Monch and Emery are insane" and is maybe a little bit of "Villa will sell him if he's giving vibes that he might walk away for nothing in 2 years"

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Fair.

Im not suggesting he doesn't love Villa or doesn't want to stay (as in "I hate it, can't wait to leave") - maybe he fancies a different challenge, culture, fresh start. The point I was trying to make is that maybe this isn't entirely "Aston Villa want to sell Douglas Luiz because of FFP/Monch and Emery are insane" and is maybe a little bit of "Villa will sell him if he's giving vibes that he might walk away for nothing in 2 years"

That's the thing. We see likes of Emi, Bailey, Ollie, Konsa all sign contract extensions with two or more years left on their present deals so would be strange if we haven't already approached Doug and his agency and got their thoughts.

Last time we seemed to gamble a bit letting things run down to final six months. I remember Purslow at the time saying he was very confident and seemingly things had been agreed for months but let's be honest we got a bit lucky. Slippy ridiculously benching him and then Arsenal coming in very late in August 2022 window, most players would've left in that situation.

We'd clearly tipped him off that Gerrard would be gone and we'd be getting in an Emery type as coach and he decided it would be more logical to stay and continue his development and it's been an excellent decision.

So this time he could've informed the club he's thinking of moving on as his cycle is complete but he'll stay a few more months to give us time to source replacements which we seem to be doing with the links to Soler and Baena.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CroVillan said:

By investing the money into other players that Unai and Monchi believe have bigger ceilings and hold us in a good position with all these restraints. 

trust Luiz is not the messiah in my opinion and some of his pure lazy and non 1% plays irritated the fark out of me. I understand them selling him opposed to Ramsay. Trust the process both Unai and Monchi have the runs on the board.

Personally think it’s a smart move if we’re able to get 70-80M for him. Everyone’s opinions will very though. 

We just watched Diaby have a ropey first season. Bailey took almost 2 seasons to come good. Tielemens half a season.  You put the entire champions league campaign at risk if our signings don't immediately hit the ground running. Big clubs don't sell the premier assets, especially when they have a champions league campaign in front of them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

We just watched Diaby have a ropey first season. Bailey took almost 2 seasons to come good. Tielemens half a season.  You put the entire champions league campaign at risk if our signings don't immediately hit the ground running. Big clubs don't sell the premier assets, especially when they have a champions league campaign in front of them. 

I understand what you’re saying but there might be other variables in play here, some of which might have nothing to do with Monchi and Unai’d valuation of him. He might just want a fresh challenge and has spoken up now to give us an opportunity to get a decent transfer fee. 

yes it is a tad daunting if we lose him but I trust with a decent pre season, our additions and players coming back we in good stead. 

I love Dougie but a critical cog in our side as a Boubs, Martinez or Watkins he is not and there are players out there that I believe we can get for a much better price and just have to pray for a smooth transition 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CroVillan said:

I understand what you’re saying but there might be other variables in play here, some of which might have nothing to do with Monchi and Unai’d valuation of him. He might just want a fresh challenge and has spoken up now to give us an opportunity to get a decent transfer fee. 

yes it is a tad daunting if we lose him but I trust with a decent pre season, our additions and players coming back we in good stead. 

I love Dougie but a critical cog in our side as a Boubs, Martinez or Watkins he is not and there are players out there that I believe we can get for a much better price and just have to pray for a smooth transition 

That’s the hard part - the smooth transition. Im confident we can replace Luiz if we’re willing to spend a bit but you just have to worry how quickly they’ll adapt to the PL. 

Wish we’d signed that Wharton in Jan! 

• Like 1

We are talking about bad transitions yet I feel Kamara was pretty good from the start. Same for Pau considering he was thrown in when Mings got injured, and yes he was shakey at the start but became our most important player. So it wouldn't be impossible for a Doug replacement to hit the ground running.

• Like 1

My interpretation is that he is definitely not pushing to leave but probably isn't overly keen on signing a new contract at the moment--putting the club in a slightly tricky situation. Sell this summer for £60m or next season for £40m or the season after for nothing.

• Like 3

Sky Sports reporting about Juventus interest in Douglas Luiz now. Expect the rumours to ramp up as the month goes on as you'd imagine the club would want any deal done in June. 

Â