Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Strange approach letting his contract run down. I am sure we could get about 20 mil for Luiz now to re-invest. 

I suspect we've decided that we can't get a fee we're happy with. Maybe not finally decided, but as bids will have been £10-15m we're just taking the hit and saying we'd rather have the use of a good player for a year than sell for less than he's worth and being short on the pitch.

Plus, be could of course sign up still.

There's always the possibility that he wants to play in Europe and we've said "Give us 1 more year to get there and if we do, we'll offer you a bumper contract"

Would be a win-win situation for him.

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Plenty of the transfer window still left. I think interested teams are testing our resolve and lowballing us. Meanwhile, we're willing to let it go down to the wire. Time will tell if that strategy pans out.

I think it will, as either we keep him for another year and get more than the value being offered by supposedly interested clubs,  or they offer want we want and he goes. 

The fact Gerrard said there haven't been any offers suggests there isn't that much interest in him anyway.  Clubs may have him as a second/ third choice. We don't know if he's been offered a contract by us as the club are silent on that front. 

I think the ropey Xmas-January results led us to reject that bid for him right near the end of the window. Wasn't it £30m or something?

We were too at risk of slipping into a smelly relegation battle so couldn't risk selling a PL ready midfielder.

Now we're likely to get nothing. Results always matter.

22 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

It does?

I think so. This is a woman that binned off this summer's European championships so she could go on holiday with him - that she's left it until now to sign a new deal that ends at the same time as his would very much suggest to me that he's decided that he wasn't keen on the offers he had this summer, or that he was too expensive for his suitors and has decided to stay.

That the club were prepared to offer her that deal and that he's still playing suggests that this isn't as decided as a player going into his last 12 months would usually suggest - we'll see I guess.

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I think the ropey Xmas-January results led us to reject that bid for him right near the end of the window. Wasn't it £30m or something?

We were too at risk of slipping into a smelly relegation battle so couldn't risk selling a PL ready midfielder.

Now we're likely to get nothing. Results always matter.

I think it was probably more that we couldn’t get the Bissouma deal over the line

19 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Plenty of the transfer window still left. I think interested teams are testing our resolve and lowballing us. Meanwhile, we're willing to let it go down to the wire. Time will tell if that strategy pans out.

Only interested club has been Roma, and they have already signed Matic and are close to signing Wijnaldum.  So unless another club we don't know of is interested, he's here for another 12 months.

It's not a great look that two of our midfielders seem happy to run down their contracts to leave us next year, despite us trying to portray ourselves as a ambitious club.

It is a bit of a gamble for Luiz, as he could sign a new contract now and get paid a lot more. His contract in 2019 must now be comparatively low as back then we had only just promoted and he was a bit of a unknown due to his visa permit issue.   He could have a good season and then move to a new club with a big signing on fee and contract. Or he could get injured and hardly play with few suitors next summer. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It's not a great look that two of our midfielders seem happy to run down their contracts to leave us next year, despite us trying to portray ourselves as a ambitious club.

It is a bit of a gamble for Luiz, as he could sign a new contract now and get paid a lot more. His contract in 2019 must now be comparatively low as back then we had only just promoted and he was a bit of a unknown due to his visa permit issue.   He could have a good season and then move to a new club with a big signing on fee and contract. Or he could get injured and hardly play with few suitors next summer. 

Running down contracts is why we got Bouba to be fair. 

• Like 1

I don't like the idea of him leaving for nothing next summer however, he will have given us 4 decent years(hopefully) and for what he cost maybe the powers that be aren't concerned losing the 15m we spent on him. He's been a decent investment tbh, never injured and the most consistent of our midfielders CM the last 3 years imo(not saying much though). I'm a little conflicted with this situation, unlike others who've done zero yet. I think regardless of how anyone feels about DL he's been a good servant to the club overall. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Running down contracts is why we got Bouba to be fair. 

Yes, but if Kamara had a serious injury in say March and was out for 6-7 months, would we have signed him? That’s the risk these players are taking by running their contracts down, they are an injury away from being unemployed.

6 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

I’m not overly fussed about him. He’s not gonna really move Kamara you’d imagine from the sitting slot and i don’t think he’s good enough to play further forward. 

To be fair if we play a 3 in midfield he's starting in one of the two 8 positions, with Ramsey getting the nod over McGinn for the other one.

And if we play a 2 he's also probably the most suited to start alongside Kamara.

Now him and his bird are staying i hope Gerrard can see that with Kamara giving the aggression needed we can start to look at benching McGinn from time to time. I like John but his composure is found wanting regularly. Dougie needs to be tried in the 8  and to see if more composure outweighs more creativity . I think it will. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think so. This is a woman that binned off this summer's European championships so she could go on holiday with him - that she's left it until now to sign a new deal that ends at the same time as his would very much suggest to me that he's decided that he wasn't keen on the offers he had this summer, or that he was too expensive for his suitors and has decided to stay.

That the club were prepared to offer her that deal and that he's still playing suggests that this isn't as decided as a player going into his last 12 months would usually suggest - we'll see I guess.

She’s only agreed to a one year deal. They both now have one year left at Villa and are free to go wherever they like together next summer. 

16 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Or if it's real!! 😁

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â