Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Dougie reminds me of a poor man's Paulinho (the Brazilian). Reasonable at most things but doesn't excel in any attributes. I think that's his biggest problem as we could do with midfielders who, like Liam Neeson, have a specific set of skills. Dougie is just a bit forgettable (much like Taken 3!).

• Like 1

On 10/04/2022 at 00:44, JPJCB said:

I find it astonishing the number of people on here who think he should be in the first team long term. He’s truly terrible as a number 6. I can’t remember which goal it was but either the 3rd or the 4th is on luiz as he repeatedly rashly tried to close down and left acres of space behind him.

a lot of people seem to think he will be transformative as a number 8 once we get a new DM but where is the evidence for that based on the past 3 seasons . He has simply never consistently performed in that position and is far too slow to do it. We should be dropping him for Nakamba asap and then selling him in the summer 

Never consistently performed as an 8? No, because he's never consistently played as one. He's been a 6 90% of the time since post lockdown.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Never consistently performed as an 8? No, because he's never consistently played as one. He's been a 6 90% of the time since post lockdown.

After more than half a season doing not much as an 8 pre lockdown. That was the position he was signed to play in and he consistently got game time there early on but did nothing. He was moved to a 6 and had a decent run of form post lockdown but has basically done nothing of positive note in 18 months 

9 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

After more than half a season doing not much as an 8 pre lockdown. That was the position he was signed to play in and he consistently got game time there early on but did nothing. He was moved to a 6 and had a decent run of form post lockdown but has basically done nothing of positive note in 18 months 

He was a kid in a terrible side and new league at that point.

But even then, he was inconsistent but he showed plenty of quality. That assist VS Brighton away *chef's kiss*

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JPJCB said:

His first season in the Premier League playing for a newly promoted team that signed about 14 players

Serious question what were you expecting? Modric or De Bruyne straightaway? 

2 players that also struggled in the first few Premier League months and became world class players 

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Luiz is a strange one, as he's almost certainly leaving this summer. If he goes somewhere and continues to play as a 6 I think he'll largely stagnate and we will all think it's money earned for his sale. If however he goes to the right team and they play him as an 8 I think we'll all end up thinking we've been robbed and sold him on the cheap.

That is why this time, we really must insert a sell on clause in any deal.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Dougie reminds me of a poor man's Paulinho (the Brazilian). Reasonable at most things but doesn't excel in any attributes. I think that's his biggest problem as we could do with midfielders who, like Liam Neeson, have a specific set of skills. Dougie is just a bit forgettable (much like Taken 3!).

Why must we have that? Dougie IMO has no glaring weaknesses, his ball retention is very good, he's comfortable playing in tight spaces, and he has an eye for a defence splitting pass when the opportunity arises (to spot it and execute it).

19 hours ago, Zatman said:

His first season in the Premier League playing for a newly promoted team that signed about 14 players

Serious question what were you expecting? Modric or De Bruyne straightaway? 

2 players that also struggled in the first few Premier League months and became world class players 

I can’t really say that he didn’t meet my expectations- I’d never seen him play beforehand. But I’ve watched him for 3 seasons now mostly as a 6 and sometimes as an 8 and not seen any evidence that he’s what we need to progress. Im sorry it offends you that I think that

I’ve said before that I think he could be a success as an 8 in another league abroad which is much slower. He doesn’t have the dynamism for that role in the PL mainly because of lack of pace. Physically he’s much better suited to a 6- and believe it or not I was one of his biggest fans in that short stint post lockdown where his form was excellent in that role- but in the year or so since then he’s shown he neither has the discipline or inclination to play that role. Best for both parties to move on 

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Why must we have that? Dougie IMO has no glaring weaknesses, his ball retention is very good, he's comfortable playing in tight spaces, and he has an eye for a defence splitting pass when the opportunity arises (to spot it and execute it).

I can’t wait to see this Dougie fella play, sounds brilliant.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, JPJCB said:

Physically he’s much better suited to a 6

He’s possibly the one of weakest player I have ever seen play this role. He was decent post lockdown as the games had the intensity of pre season friendlies. Like you say he will do better in slower league. The Italian league is perfect for him. 

• Like 2

On 13/04/2022 at 19:13, Made In Aston said:

He is absolutely nothing like Paulinho who was a poor enough player but one who's main attribute was his running and energy. Douglas Luiz is a hugely skillful player who is a quality passer of the ball and has a great football brain. He is only let down by not being elite physically and having to work in a dysfunctional tactical system. He will be playing for a team above us when he goes, I am certain of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

The Italian league is slow? Or is this just a lazy assumption people still make?

I watched it last season a fair bit,  it was definitely slower than the Prem or Bundesliga. High quality league though, very tactical.

Imho I think Douglas Luis is a very good player. We have just played him too deep. 

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, og1874 said:

We’d likely have to take a hit on the fee and hope that there’s a huge future transfer. Forego 5m now in the hope of 10m later kinda thing 

No doubt, but if the buying club was being silly about making an offer that was below his market value, then I would counter by increasing the percentage of the sell on fee to compensate for that.  

20 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I watched it last season a fair bit,  it was definitely slower than the Prem or Bundesliga. High quality league though, very tactical.

Imho I think Douglas Luis is a very good player. We have just played him too deep. 

because we have have no one else of quality to play there.....something we have created for ourselves, over time.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Players coming from La Liga have often had the most problems adapting to the pace, which could suggest the spanish league is the slowest of the big ones. Players directly coming from Serie A imo seem to adapt a little easier?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â