Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

He wouldn't get in the city side and buying him back at £35m to sell him on for a profit wouldn't be worth the hassle to them, IMO. 

If he left......he wouldn't get to play with the best player in the league either. I think he will sign a new contract and stay , if he doesn't sign then we have him for another season before we would need to sell in order to not lose out on a big fee. 

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Does he get a work permit to play for City?

One of the key criteria if you don't meet the automatic qualification through international appearances is how many domestic club appearances has the applicant made in the last 12 months. I couldn't find the required percentage but Douglas has missed very few over the last year. Has to be at least 80%. I think he would get it. 

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, tinker said:

He wouldn't get in the city side and buying him back at £35m to sell him on for a profit wouldn't be worth the hassle to them, IMO. 

If he left......he wouldn't get to play with the best player in the league either. I think he will sign a new contract and stay , if he doesn't sign then we have him for another season before we would need to sell in order to not lose out on a big fee. 

Not sure I agree with this - “wouldn’t be worth the hassle” bit.

I’m pretty sure a couple of hours of admin would be worth the “hassle” if they could sell him for around £50m if they wanted to sell him at all that is. If Fred at United is worth £50m then I’m pretty sure Dougie would be near the same ball park. Regardless of how wealthy City’s owners are I don’t think they are sloppy with their football operations.

Ive constantly said I feel Dougie is our second most important player behind Jack. So vital to how we play. He gives the platform for which the team operates. Protects the back four and allows our creative players to play.

I really hope we keep hold of him but if I’m City it would be a no brainer to bring him back.

23 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

One of the key criteria if you don't meet the automatic qualification through international appearances is how many domestic club appearances has the applicant made in the last 12 months. I couldn't find the required percentage but Douglas has missed very few over the last year. Has to be at least 80%. I think he would get it. 

That's only a small part of it, he had been a regular in La Liga but still couldn't get a work permit for City.  He got one for us because he was one of our biggest ever signings and wages as well as his La Liga appearances.  I think he must be pretty close to earning an automatic work permit because he has played so much for Brazil recently, it needs to be above 30% of their games over two years and he has started several in a row.  City would be mad not to want him back, some people say he has no choice if they activated the buyback clause but I still find it hard to believe that's the case.  You'd hope we could offer him a contract and a vision that would mean his head wouldn't be turned but it would be hard for him to turn it down, especially if he has the chance to play with Messi.

He'd be in the City side, he'd start a lot of games. From their perspective, here is a fantastic player at a position where they really need someone, that is available at much less than market value - they'd be mad not to take him back - our job is to persuade them to let us keep him with cash and persuade him that Villa Park will be the right place for him with ambition.

• Like 2

It'll be a lot of money by the way - to get him off City will most likely take another £25-30m and he'd then want at least £100k a week for four years plus some big signing bonuses. To keep him here for another four years would most likely cost us around £55m - can we replace him for that - I'm actually not sure we can. I'd give City another £30m and hope they'll sell us the clause.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

It'll be a lot of money by the way - to get him off City will most likely take another £25-30m and he'd then want at least £100k a week for four years plus some big signing bonuses. To keep him here for another four years would most likely cost us around £55m - can we replace him for that - I'm actually not sure we can. I'd give City another £30m and hope they'll sell us the clause.

Yes I was trying to think of who could replace him and struggled.  I genuinely think he has been the best in the league in his position since lockdown.

Keeping him is so important, it'll be more difficult to convince players to stay that aren't Jack with his affinity for the club. Getting him to stay was massive, we'd have no chance at convincing others without it - will be a big win for NSWE if they can get Dougie to stay too. 

Agree it would cost us £50m to replace him directly and not sure who that would be. I still think we need to sign somebody up and coming who could step into a similar role in the future. But we have to find a way to keep him

I think City have bigger issues elsewhere. Their money will go on a centre forward, a centre half and a 10 before they look at Dougie. The talk of signing him and then selling him on at a profit is fairly laughable. Why would Doug agree to that? He could just stay at Villa and then move directly to the other club if he wanted out. Makes no sense.

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

That's only a small part of it, he had been a regular in La Liga but still couldn't get a work permit for City.  He got one for us because he was one of our biggest ever signings and wages as well as his La Liga appearances.  I think he must be pretty close to earning an automatic work permit because he has played so much for Brazil recently, it needs to be above 30% of their games over two years and he has started several in a row.  City would be mad not to want him back, some people say he has no choice if they activated the buyback clause but I still find it hard to believe that's the case.  You'd hope we could offer him a contract and a vision that would mean his head wouldn't be turned but it would be hard for him to turn it down, especially if he has the chance to play with Messi.

The buyback clause is between Man City and Villa. The player has no say in the matter. Now he could choose not to sign for City but they would still own his registration. They could then decide to sell him on but more than likely he isn't going to refuse to sign for City. 

1 hour ago, Rightdm00 said:

The buyback clause is between Man City and Villa. The player has no say in the matter. Now he could choose not to sign for City but they would still own his registration. They could then decide to sell him on but more than likely he isn't going to refuse to sign for City. 

But they don't own his registration, do they? AIUI, we own his registration, they just have a buyback clause that prevents us from rejecting a bid from them above a certain price. He's not on loan, so how do they own his registration?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

But they don't own his registration, do they? AIUI, we own his registration, they just have a buyback clause that prevents us from rejecting a bid from them above a certain price. He's not on loan, so how do they own his registration?

They have a clause that says they can pick up his registration for a fixed fee - at that point he gets to decide if he wants to play for them or not, but if it's not, he's choosing between playing for no one or letting City sell him - he can't decide to play for us. 

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

They have a clause that says they can pick up his registration for a fixed fee - at that point he gets to decide if he wants to play for them or not, but if it's not, he's choosing between playing for no one or letting City sell him - he can't decide to play for us. 

He can choose to play for us. That isn't how it works. They can choose to potentially get his rights but he doesn't have to accept. Otherwise it is basically a forced agreement. And there is no way the PFA would stand for that. 

Â