Björn Engels

Delphinho123

3 minutes ago, smg said:

Good centre backs only tackle as a last resort, they rely on intelligence, understanding, communication and positioning we will see next season.

I considered that too so I looked at a few others in the league. Laporte 1 tackle a game. Maguire 1.3. Kompany 1. Van Dyke 1. Matip 1, Pique 1.2,  Godin 1.7

Our man 0.3.  I’m not reading anything in to this but it does seem oddly low however you want to look at it.

Looking at the whoscored.com player defensive stats for the Premier League and Championship last season, the most striking thing is how little relationship there is between player quality and any of the individual stats.

Tackle count seems to be more meaningful for top defensive midfielders and full backs, with Gueye, Ndidi, Wan-Bissaka, Pereira, Moutinho, Rice, and Azpilicueta all in the top 10.

You have to go miles down the list to find any top centre backs.

The other stats are even worse. Interceptions has Sol Bamba top, clearances Balbuena, blocks Tarkowski. Hardly the elite.

Think we just have to trust Deano's judgment.

• Like 1

One thing that concerns me slightly is that Dean Smith said he had been watching him for the past 18 months. To me that means he was scouted by Brentford, a then and now mid table Championship team. Hope he is good enough for the Premier League.

From the pictures and stated weight (only 74 kg for such a tall guy) he needs to beef up quickly.

32 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Jamie Carragher made a career out of great last ditch tackles, was always ignored that his shit positioning was the reason he had to do it. 

He was also very slow. Think that was a bigger problem than his positioning. Ferdinand was often caught out of position, but for most of his career he got away with it because of his pace, so he has a reputation as a classy, Rolls Royce defender who read the game well.

5 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

One thing that concerns me slightly is that Dean Smith said he had been watching him for the past 18 months. To me that means he was scouted by Brentford, a then and now mid table Championship team. Hope he is good enough for the Premier League.

From the pictures and stated weight (only 74 kg for such a tall guy) he needs to beef up quickly.

We signed 2 of their players and are linked with another 2. Just because they're a championship team doesn't mean they don't scout quality players.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Was linked with Arsenal in January and it appears Engels is a huge fan of them .Some gooner fans are still hoping he's using us as a stepping stone to them ,  so he must have something about him.

Edited by Brumerican

3 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

That doesn't bother me. Dean Smith was trying to do the best possible job he could do with his budget at Brentford. Yes, that would have stopped him from signing someone like Wesley or Mings, but otherwise he will have been evaluating players in much the same way. Engels would have likely been a marquee signing for Brentford, whereas here he's fighting for a place. Still looks like money well spent.

Well  high amount of clearances per 90 min. Very few tackles, blocks and interceptions. Can only assume, as other have said. He's always on the right place at the right time. Getting at the ball before any of the attackers. Very little video of him, but as seen, he can tackle.

Another interesting stat is that he creates about 0.4 chances per 90 min. Which is very good for a central defender. Great passer of the ball judging by stats. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â