Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

27 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

However, it's one defensive player less than Qatar 2022.

Stones and Konsa should play, they are the better two CBs.

And don't forget the two holding midfielders, like I was I saying.

Posted (edited)

Him and stones at the back is a great lineup for the start of the tournament. Against teams with more imposing forwards that will see more of the ball I feel like we'll need a stronger presence. Not sure we've got one in the squad mind you.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Him and stones at the back is a great lineup for the start of the tournament. Against teams with more imposing forwards that will see more of the ball I feel like we'll need a stronger presence. Not sure we've got one in the squad mind you.

It’ll be Guehi and Stones at CB I would think.

5 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I think Konsa and Stones are two of the best CBs in the world. I think Konsa playing most of the season at right back out of necessity has probably hurt his reputation a bit as a CB. If we'd had a better RB and he'd played CB all season, he'd be widely considered one of the best in the PL. I like Guehi as well and I probably expect him to start in place of Konsa, but I think Konsa is a better player. Incredible speed and athleticism, excellent positioning, flat out doesn't get dribbled past. Very intelligent footballer who can adapt to any system, and he's excellent on the ball.

A back 4 of Walker, Konsa, Stones, Shaw (assuming all are fit and in form) is fantastic.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

And don't forget the two holding midfielders, like I was I saying.

And keep repeating yourself then...

Southgate will not be playing two holding midfielders.

29 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

And keep repeating yourself then...

Southgate will not be playing two holding midfielders.

"Caution" is Southgate's default setting, 'like I was saying'.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

"Caution" is Southgate's default setting, 'like I was saying'.

No, that's not what you were saying at all you were incoherently babbling about two holding midfielders which we all know is completely WRONG!

Even Konsa was getting forward during the last friendly, no signs of caution there at all.

Now it's evolved to mere "caution", make your mind up...🤣

giphy.gif

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

No, that's not what you were saying at all you were incoherently babbling about two holding midfielders which we all know is completely WRONG!

Even Konsa was getting forward during the last friendly, no signs of caution there at all.

Now it's evolved to mere "caution", make your mind up...🤣

giphy.gif

Getting forward in a friendly. The gullibility is astounding. Come back to me when we go out. Sort your napper out. Telling me, to keep repeating myself and then getting the hump when I do.

As for the mene, at least I've always refrained from that nonsense. 

Posted (edited)

Konsa ranked in the top two per cent of centre-backs from Europe’s top five leagues for the fewest number of challenges lost in one-on-one situations (0.12 per 90 minutes). At the start of April, Konsa held the best tackle rate of any defender in Europe’s top five leagues, with 91 per cent. Considering 44 per cent of all his Premier League appearances had been at right-back at this stage — and therefore in more exposed areas and in a greater volume of one-against-one scenarios — such a record only grew in prominence

Ezri Konsa’s England inclusion may shock outsiders – but his versatility is invaluable - The Athletic (nytimes.com)

That's incredibly one on one defending skills. It's why he's used at RB often because he can match these talented wide players.

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

That's incredibly one on one defending skills. It's why he's used at RB often because he can match these talented wide players.

Trying to think of a defender who he resembles, Paul Parker comes to mind. Not the biggest or the tallest but a quickness of feet and thought that compensates immensely for the first two traits. It's another nod to Dean Smith who has been responsible for creating that important spine of this team.

56 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think he's been exposed positionally at RB a few times and has probably let a few more crosses come in than he should - but I do think it is probably his better position (defensively).  On top of the stats above - it suits us to have a RB who is very good with the ball at his feet and in tight situations and he's pretty athletic.  It allows us to spread the ball wide from the back, gives another angle to look to progress the ball into midfield  / onto our wide attacking players and if the opposition are pressing high then it allows us to keep moving them around across the pitch.  It also means that he's less likely to be exposed aerially - probably easier for him to deal with the opposition's wide left attacker than a bigger CF.  I think we need a CB who is really strong in the air and that's a problem area with a Torres / Konsa partnership.

But I think he does need to play in a position more consistently rather than playing 1 match as a CB, the next at RB, ad infinitum.  It would help him massively from a positional perspective.  I worry that it might mean that McGinn has to drop back slightly to collect the ball but if our midfield is more Kamara, Luiz and Barkley - then that probably allows McGinn to push forward and one of those three play a bit deeper right when we aren't on the attack.

I'm not that worried about Konsa not being an attacking FB - we've got McGinn and Bailey playing the advanced roles on the right and so it can get a bit cluttered when the RB is pushing into that space too.

When I look at some of the names we've been linked to at RB (or have been proposed on here / SM) then there aren't many that I think would be an upgrade on Konsa.

12 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

How come? Stones injury not looking good?

7 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Where have you seen that?

Sky sports are suggesting it due to Stones’s illness 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jayEm said:

Got this weird feeling he could end up featuring a lot this tournament and really impressing.

Like Mings last time, then dropped whenever Stones comes back.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â