Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

18 minutes ago, supermon said:

Has passing has really improved lately. Seems very comfortable on the ball. Glad to see he has regained his confidence and we're seeing the best of Ezri. That dip in form was crazy but probably says more about Gerrard than Ezri himself.

The issue with Konsa is his passing under pressure. Leeds and Brighton are two sides we've played under Emery who have a very high press and created chances from turnovers that way (Brighton got their goal from this). He's averaged over 91% passing accuracy in the other 5 games but has averaged 80% in the two against Leeds and Brighton. 

We need that Diego Carlos player to be composed and pass under pressure. It's why we brought him in his passing ability. I think in games where we are giften posession from build up play Konsa is perfectly good option and a good defender. It's those other games he struggles and we give up chances

19 hours ago, picicata said:

I do wonder if Emery might use him as a right back eventually? Didn't Emery use a centre back at right back at Villarreal? It allowed for a very attacking left back and for the defence to turn into a three at the back situation when Emery's team had the ball.

Great shout. That would be a top move IMO. 

For what it seems Emery wants from one of his full backs, Ezri has it all.

Gets another player on the pitch useful from set pieces as well.

21 hours ago, picicata said:

I do wonder if Emery might use him as a right back eventually? Didn't Emery use a centre back at right back at Villarreal? It allowed for a very attacking left back and for the defence to turn into a three at the back situation when Emery's team had the ball.

Juan Foyth I believe it was, who was predominately a centre back.  We could possibly see Konsa used in that way, didn't he play there under Smith for a period due to injuries?

23 hours ago, choffer said:

He's very quick and he rarely just goes for the tackle. He holds the player up until his teammates can recover. 

Edit: He's also been here for 3.5 seasons and has less than half the number of pages that rashica does. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, picicata said:

I think he definitely will at some point. As others have mentioned,  Konsa has already played right back for us, and when Carlos is fit he can solve the selection headache by playing them both.

This does assume Emery's issues with Cash are genuine and not just down to Young having had more time to get familiar with Emery's system and not having put a foot wrong since Cash came back.

54 minutes ago, ender4 said:

He was like this in his breakout season for us when our defence had 15 clean sheets.  Glad to see him back to his best.

Gooo on Ezri! Laughable that so many wrote him off.

On 23/01/2023 at 23:26, picicata said:

Maybe this happens with diego carlos is fit. Would also allow us to sell Cash in the summer, give young another 1 year deal and buy another CB.

Edited by TheMightyVillans

On 23/01/2023 at 12:26, picicata said:

you can see signs of this aleady, Mings, Konsa and Young forming the back 3 when in possession. 

On 23/01/2023 at 12:26, picicata said:

I think Emery will likely sign a new player for that position. One who has played RCB but who has the right passing ability Emery wants. The player will need to be part of a back 3 and then part of the midfield three

So a 4 4 2 to a 3 3 2 2 (as LB, LM and RM move forward) to a 2 3 5 where RB joins midfield 6s and LB, LM and RM join forward line to overload opposition back 4. 

Konsa isn't the type of player for that role imo. Though I do believe there is that RCB/RB type player who Emery will sign 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Really poor today. His and Mings positional awareness was really shit today. 

One/both need to be upgraded in the summer. They seem like great guys but they are part of a defence that hasn't been able to get into the top half in nearly 4 seasons. 

I think he's a good player, but I wonder about his football IQ sometimes.

He's very good at handling 1v1s cleanly, which makes people think he's a clever defender, but anything positional he struggles with.

However, I think bit of a rash reaction to say he needs replacing as recent form has been decent. I'd hang on to him. 25 is still very young for a CB, he'll keep improving IMO.

In this system, I just don’t back him to win a lot of duels high up the pitch. He’s a good interceptor of the ball or when he’s already running back to cover but I struggle to remember when he can get a clear tackle off a player near the halfway line. He seems to prefer to drop or contain and that’s problematic when the offside line isn’t perfect. 

Will either improve or be shipped out. 

Edited by DJBOB

Â