Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

3 hours ago, weedman said:

Worth remembering though that we are a richer team than most, so we don't NEED every player to have resale value and to turn a profit. We have players that we COULD make money on in the squad, the likes of McGinn, Konsa, Cash, Martinez. Mings would even command a big fee despite being older. Watkins, Buendia, Bailey, Traore etc were big money signings but we would also probably be able to get back at least what we paid for them. 

Southampton, for example, need every player to turn a profit and its made them perennial mid table with the occasional relegation battle thrown in. 

To challenge and improve you need a blend of players that can be sold for profit, and players who are just for the here and now. Coutinho won't make us a profit but we'll have a better chance at cracking the top 6 with him than without him. 

We also need to be able to sell players at their peak value which is why the notion of "only buy first teamers then your current first teamers move to the bench" is not a sustainable approach, we need to maximise the amount we sell players for and they are worth more as first team players. We'll get more for McGinn this summer than we will if he makes 4 starts and 15 sub appearances next season, and that money can be used to improve the team

The problem is we haven't been particularly good at buying or selling, for some time, now.

If he's replaced, then it has to be by someone Scandinavian, Victor Nelsson would be my choice. 

I do think he's still a very good CB though and still young, still time to grow. I think if Nakamba hadn't got injured or we'd addressed the gaping hole in our midfield in one of the last four windows then we wouldn't be talking about dropping him for Chambers, we'd be talking about whether we'd rather he went abroad instead of a team above us in the table. 

Edited by skarroki

12 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

It is a bit scary to be honest but I see it as a no lose situation for us, if he smashes it he goes there and we would probably be in a position to attract a top manager.

And if he is shit? We are bringing in a Big Sam type next February to fight off relegation 

8 hours ago, TRO said:

The problem is we haven't been particularly good at buying or selling, for some time, now.

Since 2019 we bought Martinez, Cash, Watkins, Mings, your hero Nakamba for example 

We are shit at buying 🙄

• Like 3

13 hours ago, TRO said:

If some time means 10 years, then fine, but we have actually been quite good for the last 3 years or so. We were a midtable championship team and are now a midtable PL team. You can't really do that without relative success in the transfer market.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Since 2019 we bought Martinez, Cash, Watkins, Mings, your hero Nakamba for example 

We are shit at buying 🙄

Konsa, el Ghazi (output wise. Top notch), Targett, Luiz... I think these signings and the improvements in them as players are pretty darn good. That's almost a full starting 11 of good signings. 

We're utter shite at selling people though, el Ghazi being the most obvious one, absolutely at top of his tree last summer - easily £20M, and we've sent him on loan somewhere where he's not playing under an incompetent manager. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

We are shit at buying 🙄

The summer of 2020 stands out with Martinez, Cash, Watkins and Traore for 70-75m or so. Wish we could have had one or two more windows like that.

I know we got Barkley in that window as well but a shit loan doesn’t kill you.

17 minutes ago, Dale said:

Konsa, el Ghazi (output wise. Top notch), Targett, Luiz... I think these signings and the improvements in them as players are pretty darn good. That's almost a full starting 11 of good signings. 

We're utter shite at selling people though, el Ghazi being the most obvious one, absolutely at top of his tree last summer - easily £20M, and we've sent him on loan somewhere where he's not playing under an incompetent manager. 

I'm not sure any team is shite a selling. It's hardly like Villa can force other teams to buy our fringe players for our valuation or force a player under contract to move on even if they have no future at the club. 

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

The summer of 2020 stands out with Martinez, Cash, Watkins and Traore for 70-75m or so. Wish we could have had one or two more windows like that.

I know we got Barkley in that window as well but a shit loan doesn’t kill you.

I actually thought Jan was a  pretty good window for us.

Olsen not played but he's a more experienced number 2 than we've had for ages and you'd fancy him to be o.k for 2-3 games if needs be given he does alright for Sweden.

Was skeptical on Chambers due to not rating him much at Arsenal but considering he barely cost anything he's been really good in the matches he's played.

Digne obviously has his critics for whatever reason but in the games he dosen't cry off after 10 minutes our defensive record has been pretty good.

Coutinho been a joy to watch when on it and obviously his profile is giving us better press which you feel is important for the board.

Main problem however is since going 3-1 up v Leeds results and performances have been pretty bad bar that purple patch at start of March. That really shouldn't be happening with what we signed in Jan so that's a concern for me going into the summer.

Signing good on paper players yet the same old failings apparent start of next season.

Edited by VillaChris

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â