Matt Targett

villan-scott

1 hour ago, Supervillan78 said:

I’d actually like Targett to stay and fight for his place. He was outstanding in the 20/21 campaign. 

yeah-thats-gonna-be-a-problem.jpg

Edited by mottaloo
  • Haha 3

I like Matt Targett as a player and personality. He only had one deficiency which in the end saw him replaced (imo). Matt is too slow. A player can improve most weaknesses but a total lack of pace is irrevocable.

I would say exactly the same about Douglas Luiz. Lovely technically adept player but his lack of pace leaves him beaten too often and causes him to make silly fouls in dangerous areas as players go by him.

It seems as though Gerrard is addressing this issue quite ruthlessly.

• Like 3

I don’t know whether Targett didn’t want the competition or Gerrard told him Digne was taking his place and wasn’t going to get much playing time? He did well for Newcastle, but there’s no guarantees they’ll come in for him, they got out of him what they needed to survive. Even if he does get a move, how long before they want to upgrade him with someone better?

He’d be better competing with Digne, as long as Herrard sees him as part of the squad moving forward.

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I like Matt Targett as a player and personality. He only had one deficiency which in the end saw him replaced (imo). Matt is too slow. A player can improve most weaknesses but a total lack of pace is irrevocable.

I would say exactly the same about Douglas Luiz. Lovely technically adept player but his lack of pace leaves him beaten too often and causes him to make silly fouls in dangerous areas as players go by him.

It seems as though Gerrard is addressing this issue quite ruthlessly.

Still people say we’re about to sign Tarkowski, who is definitely slow.

Literally what was the point sending him there then. Did he increase his value that much did we get huge a big obligation did we get a huge fee (doubt)

No. We had Young at LB and for what. Save a  few quid and finish 14th anyway.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

How was it blatantly Targett? Same issues happened when he left and as I said if he was afraid of fans he would have went to Bournemouth or Luton and not Newcastle which is the ultimate goldfish bowl

They were speaking about match day pressure. This is what Martinez said:

”I seen it from covid. Player was playing and I was think oh my god what a player. Comes to first time with a crowd and he’s hiding. Last season with no pressure and you were doing amazing in training but when pressure and fans watching you’re hiding, don’t want the ball too much and don’t want to go forward like before. I can see it”

Neither Konsa or Luiz have ever hid and certainly don’t play in positions where they are meant to go forward so If that’s not target then I’m a bloody goat. 

Re Newcastle he only took the move because he was guaranteed to play and to be fair they’ve been on an amazing run. We all know that the Geordies will be on his back quicker than anything when expectations start to increase rapidly next season. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

”I seen it from covid. Player was playing and I was think oh my god what a player. Comes to first time with a crowd and he’s hiding. Last season with no pressure and you were doing amazing in training but when pressure and fans watching you’re hiding, don’t want the ball too much and don’t want to go forward like before. I can see it”

Neither Konsa or Luiz have ever hid and certainly don’t play in positions where they are meant to go forward so If that’s not target then I’m a bloody goat

I 100% think this was Konsa, who last season was always stepping beautifully into midfield and playing lovely passes, and this season stayed back on the edge of our box and rolled it sideways to the point that if you read his thread people think he’s not comfortable on the ball. Everyone can see his form fell off a cliff and this may be why. Hopefully it’s something he can address. But I don’t think it was Targett.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

I 100% think this was Konsa, who last season was always stepping beautifully into midfield and playing lovely passes, and this season stayed back on the edge of our box and rolled it sideways to the point that if you read his thread people think he’s not comfortable on the ball. Everyone can see his form fell off a cliff and this may be why. Hopefully it’s something he can address. But I don’t think it was Targett.

I think defo Konsa, he is not the player he was. I think a few of our players have shown that they are mentally fragile when it comes to playing in front of fans! Targett was another one during covid and no fans was outstanding. But the bloke has no fight, we sign direct competition and he wants out, bit like his lack of fight on the pitch once the fans returned! Sell him! 

On 26/05/2022 at 19:24, DakotaVilla said:

They were speaking about match day pressure. This is what Martinez said:

Neither Konsa or Luiz have ever hid and certainly don’t play in positions where they are meant to go forward so If that’s not target then I’m a bloody goat. 

Re Newcastle he only took the move because he was guaranteed to play and to be fair they’ve been on an amazing run. We all know that the Geordies will be on his back quicker than anything when expectations start to increase rapidly next season. 

The problem for targett was no Grealish in front of him meaning attackers were less likely to overload on his side knowing a counter-attack would mean Grealish in space. Also, its not as if his passing or form fell off a cliff until his loan. 100% Konsa for me.

3 hours ago, peterw said:

The problem for targett was no Grealish in front of him meaning attackers were less likely to overload on his side knowing a counter-attack would mean Grealish in space. Also, its not as if his passing or form fell off a cliff until his loan. 100% Konsa for me.

I don't buy this. Targett was brilliant last season (or is it 2 seasons ago already?) Even when Grealish was injured. He still was our best and most consistent player (maybe alongside Konsa) and had bloody El Ghazi playing in front of him

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, WooJung said:

I don't buy this. Targett was brilliant last season (or is it 2 seasons ago already?) Even when Grealish was injured. He still was our best and most consistent player (maybe alongside Konsa) and had bloody El Ghazi playing in front of him

Yeah but Dean Smith said Grealish was definitely going to be back for the game in his press conference, so our opponents were forced to plan as if he was there.

5d chess.

Edited by Panto_Villan
  • Haha 1

I don't think "he just wanted to play football" is a great argument when his challenger hadn't even walked through the door yet. It's not like he'd already been bombed out for half a season and wasn't getting a look in, he should've stayed, fought for a place, and supported the squad. And I've been a big defender of his.

The loan went well though and he's worth £20m. Funny that Newcastle don't seem keen to pay it though even after Howe complimented him, must have doubts or know that's his ceiling.

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

I don't think "he just wanted to play football" is a great argument when his challenger hadn't even walked through the door yet. It's not like he'd already been bombed out for half a season and wasn't getting a look in, he should've stayed, fought for a place, and supported the squad. And I've been a big defender of his.

The loan went well though and he's worth £20m. Funny that Newcastle don't seem keen to pay it though even after Howe complimented him, must have doubts or know that's his ceiling.

I feel like the writing is on the wall when the club spend £25m buying a 28 year old to play in your position. When that happens it doesn't take a genuis to realise that the manager thinks you need to be upgraded and you might want to find work elsewhere.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I feel like the writing is on the wall when the club spend £25m buying a 28 year old to play in your position. When that happens it doesn't take a genuis to realise that the manager thinks you need to be upgraded and you might want to find work elsewhere.

The abuse he got from some on here and Twitter after the United cup game probably encouraged him that he wasnt wanted here either. Digne had just signed that day as well

On 26/05/2022 at 12:36, Zatman said:

Martinez never said it was him and people jumped on that it was. It was clearly Konsa since you know Targett went to a team with a bigger attendance than us and has done well

Wasn't clearly anyone. Just because Targett went on to do well doesn't mean it wasn't him ffs. But back to the point - could have been anyone.

You've gotta stop making assumptions.

49 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Seems like the tag of "no bottle" seems to have stuck with him because he's had a few head injuries in his time here which forced him off the pitch. 

Didn't even recall those,  but do recall him falling apart when fans returned to stadiums, he lost the protection Jack Grealish offered, and scarpered the second someone supposedly better than him came to the club. 

Call it no bottle, call it Targett being a massive confidence player and having none left. Either way,  it's a bit weak willed and not something Gerrard has said he wants around the club. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, MrBlack said:

Didn't even recall those,  but do recall him falling apart when fans returned to stadiums, he lost the protection Jack Grealish offered, and scarpered the second someone supposedly better than him came to the club. 

Call it no bottle, call it Targett being a massive confidence player and having none left. Either way,  it's a bit weak willed and not something Gerrard has said he wants around the club. 

He played with fans in his first season, where he was scoring last minute winners at VP and go-ahead goals in cup semi-finals. I think he was just in poor form, especially after Grealish left.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â