Matt Targett

villan-scott

14 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

What comments?

You need to try and not take it so personally. It amazes me a man as straight-laced as Matt Targett can elicit such hatred.

Woah - hardly hatred!! I couldn’t really care less about Matt Targett. His comments essentially saying he wants to stay at Newcastle and sign up to the project. 

8 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Woah - hardly hatred!! I couldn’t really care less about Matt Targett. His comments essentially saying he wants to stay at Newcastle and sign up to the project. 

What's wrong with that? Good for him, I wish him the best in his career. 

It's not Manchester City, not every Villa player needs a statue outside the stadium. 

7 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

What's wrong with that? Good for him, I wish him the best in his career. 

It's not Manchester City, not every Villa player needs a statue outside the stadium. 

Nothing wrong with it at all. Just responding as to why I would be happy to sell him if we get the right offer for him. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Yeah obviously, but that’s not really my point. 

my point is, he never had the chance to compete for his spot here. Be it his choice or not. 

Digne hasn’t been that much of a step up that Matt couldn’t challenge. At least a preseason would be a fair chance 

Do you genuinely think the owners will keep in ploughing 100m + for eternity.

We need to start selling in demand squad players as that's what teams above us frequently do and allows them to reinvest or meet FFP more easily.

Targett will be in demand from bottom clubs even if Newcastle don't want him and will be on average wage by prem standards so there's the first one.

We could keep him as backup but Gerrard dosen't really rate him so would rather have a second choice as someone who's young and up and coming to challenge Digne.

Edti: Isn't he OOC next summer? That also takes the decision out of our hands a bit unless people just want to keep him and Luiz as backup and lose them as free transfers next summer?

Edited by VillaChris

Gerrard’s spoken at length re the mental fragility of this team and Matt Targett is the very definition of mental fragility. Even Martinez blatantly referenced him in his interview with Ben foster re the impact that  crowds returning had on him.

There’s no future for him here, even as a sub, if Newcastle don’t want him. 

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Do you genuinely think the owners will keep in ploughing 100m + for eternity.

We need to start selling in demand squad players as that's what teams above us frequently do and allows them to reinvest or meet FFP more easily.

Targett will be in demand from bottom clubs even if Newcastle don't want him and will be on average wage by prem standards so there's the first one.

We could keep him as backup but Gerrard dosen't really rate him so would rather have a second choice as someone who's young and up and coming to challenge Digne.

For the record, I’m not against selling him either. Just feel like we in a good position where we have 2 decent players in the same position. Yet, they never competed for that place. Like I said, I don’t think Digne has been that much better, in fact I believe Targett played better for the geordies than Digne played for us. so before shipping him, I feel we could at least test both of them out. See if Targett is really in need of the chop 

45 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Some of the comments on here about him have been disgusting in recent months. Guy has done nothing wrong except wanting to play football 

Yet some are willing the club to sign a racist biter who has caused a diplomatic issue 

To be fair its nut just the last few months

Him being labelled as fat last year was brilliant, classic VT

• Haha 1

So much projection about the 'mental weakness' of a man who has achieved what very few, if any, of us would have the determination and work ethic to do.

Particularly when we can all agree he's clearly not the most naturally gifted top flight footballer.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Even Martinez blatantly referenced him in his interview with Ben foster re the impact that  crowds returning had on him. 

So blatant even that sparked a debate about whether he meant Targett, Luiz or Konsa.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Gerrard’s spoken at length re the mental fragility of this team and Matt Targett is the very definition of mental fragility. Even Martinez blatantly referenced him in his interview with Ben foster re the impact that  crowds returning had on him.

There’s no future for him here, even as a sub, if Newcastle don’t want him. 

Martinez never said it was him and people jumped on that it was. It was clearly Konsa since you know Targett went to a team with a bigger attendance than us and has done well

5 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

For the record, I’m not against selling him either. Just feel like we in a good position where we have 2 decent players in the same position. Yet, they never competed for that place. Like I said, I don’t think Digne has been that much better, in fact I believe Targett played better for the geordies than Digne played for us. so before shipping him, I feel we could at least test both of them out. See if Targett is really in need of the chop 

I get that but Gerrard did play Targett 9-10 games straight before Digne came in mid January so that was his chance and for whatever reason didn't impress Gerrard enough so I'd rather not just keep players around the manager dosen't want.

It's a bit like El Ghazi last summer. We've got a player who's had an effective prem season in mid table (two running considering Targett was generally excellent in 20/21) so he'll be in demand if we pitch him to the right clubs on permanent basis.

Keep him and his value will decrease through lack of playing. 

I think he'd be fine as a back up but if we can generate decent ££ by selling, then makes sense to do so.

If Newcastle don't want him and Fulham do, slap a premium on top, if only for their fans being absolute clearings in the woods that day they beat us in Wembley.

£20m+ and a swift return to the Championship will do nicely, thanks happy clappers.

Just now, VillaChris said:

I get that but Gerrard did play Targett 9-10 games straight before Digne came in mid January so that was his chance and for whatever reason didn't impress Gerrard enough so I'd rather not just keep players around the manager dosen't want.

It's a bit like El Ghazi last summer. We've got a player who's had an effective prem season in mid table (two running considering Targett was generally excellent in 20/21) so he'll be in demand if we pitch him to the right clubs on permanent basis.

Keep him and his value will decrease through lack of playing. 

Yeah I see your perspective. Get the cash while we can. 

but my argument is try him out in preseason at least, and maybe a few early games if he impresses. If not we sell him late in the window

he’s an ideal rotation option to have, especially if we have bigger ambitions. And more so when we don’t really have any other option there right now 

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Martinez never said it was him and people jumped on that it was. It was clearly Konsa since you know Targett went to a team with a bigger attendance than us and has done well

It was blatantly Target. Did you see his video when he left where he basically implied there was no point in even trying to challenge a player of digne’s calibre.

Either way I highly doubt we’ll ever see him play a competitive game for us again.

2 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

It was blatantly Target. Did you see his video when he left where he basically implied there was no point in even trying to challenge a player of digne’s calibre.

Either way I highly doubt we’ll ever see him play a competitive game for us again.

How was it blatantly Targett? Same issues happened when he left and as I said if he was afraid of fans he would have went to Bournemouth or Luton and not Newcastle which is the ultimate goldfish bowl

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â