Matt Targett

villan-scott

57 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Steero, your wounds might have healed, but people like Zatman and I have a longer road to travel as we had another 5 years of him for Ireland ending in 2018.

And that is fair enough. 

But I think most fans on here would take a manager who could guarantee 3 x 6th place finishes right now for Aston Villa considering the last decade+ of results. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

And that is fair enough. 

But I think most fans on here would take a manager who could guarantee 3 x 6th place finishes right now for Aston Villa considering the last decade+ of results. 

I'm sure that they would and so would I. There is however also the "what he leaves behind is not sustainable" and "at least one of those 6th places should have been 4th" arguments.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steero113 said:

And that is fair enough. 

Back then there was only a big 4 - Arsenal, United, Liverpool & Chelsea. Then in the final years Spurs & City emerged. We spent a level that should have had at least 6th or higher every season. So don't go thinking that performances that got us where the money would expect us was anything to do with the manager. We failed to succeed in that era with the money spent we won nothing and never got CL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Back then there was only a big 4 - Arsenal, United, Liverpool & Chelsea. Then in the final years Spurs & City emerged. We spent a level that should have had at least 6th or higher every season. So don't go thinking that performances that got us where the money would expect us was anything to do with the manager. We failed to succeed in that era with the money spent we won nothing and never got CL.

Agreed.  Everton finished 5th and we finished 6th but we, and they, were the highest spenders outside of the top 5 (wages and transfers with Everton's transfer spend having been a bit more historic).  O'Neill and Moyes performed to their XG in modern day parlance but we had an opportunity to do more I believe.

https://newcastle-online.org/topic/37186-matt-targett/page/28/#comments

All around, on and off the ball he's the player I'm most confident with. He pretty much never makes a bad decision whether in defence or attack. Pointless trying to replace him next season.

Makes solid look fragile. My player of the season I think. 

Was fantastic tonight. He needs to be the first bit of business done as soon as the season finishes. 

23 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Possibly true. But Gerrard did say he likes to have two very good players competing for spots. 

yet seems to start the same players regardless of how poor they play

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Is that giving us a clue on how bad the squad is (from Gerrard's perspective)?

Well no Chambers and Sanson have done nothing wrong and got dropped for very little. Same would have happened to Targett if he stayed and played well

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Well no Chambers and Sanson have done nothing wrong and got dropped for very little. Same would have happened to Targett if he stayed and played well

Targett would have played a fair bit with all of Digne's injuries 🤣

Just now, Villa_Vids said:

Targett would have played a fair bit with all of Digne's injuries 🤣

yes but Digne will automatically start when fit is the issue just like Konsa and McGinn

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

yes but Digne will automatically start when fit is the issue just like Konsa and McGinn

Chambers took Konsa's spot at Leeds so not entirely true. Targett could have won Gerrard over, it was a case of him not wanting to stay and fight for his spot imo. 

1 minute ago, Villa_Vids said:

Chambers took Konsa's spot at Leeds so not entirely true. Targett could have won Gerrard over, it was a case of him not wanting to stay and fight for his spot imo. 

What did Chambers do to get dropped? What did Sanson do to get dropped?

Why would this be any different for Targett when we paid 25 million for a left back. How would he dare ask for more money in the summer if he had his major signing sitting on the bench for a player we already had. Targett never had a chance to compete. It was a rigged competition

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

What did Chambers do to get dropped? What did Sanson do to get dropped?

Why would this be any different for Targett when we paid 25 million for a left back. How would he dare ask for more money in the summer if he had his major signing sitting on the bench for a player we already had. Targett never had a chance to compete. It was a rigged competition

Wasn't Chambers injured against West Ham? I am guessing that not winning was probably the reason those players did not retain their place. I want to see more of Sanson too but Gerrard obviously favours McGinn & Ramsey more.  I believe Targett did not want to compete. He saw signing Digne as a demotion and Newcastle as a good opportunity for himself. Fair enough.

I mean the fact Sanson was brought off first in that recent start he had, and then given 0 minutes in the next game...was just baffling, and an insult to the player. Especially when McGinn's there getting constant 90s.

• Like 1

Â