Matt Targett

villan-scott

On 09/03/2022 at 17:32, YLN said:

Targett signed for Villa for 14 million and was one of our best players. And now is being sold to an extremely rich club who know he performs well in their side and we are looking for 15. For a player who has now played 2/3 PL seasons that they hadn't when we signed him. 

15 million is not nearly enough. I don't know what the relevance of the loan fee is. Newcastle spent 15 million on Jamal Lewis.

Yeah I saw that yesterday and don't understand why we couldn't push for 20m +.

It's not like he'd be on massive wages here either given he was reserve at Saints and would probably be on 30-40k there.

Can only guess there's a fixed fee somewhere in the negotiations. 

Just now, VillaChris said:

Yeah I saw that yesterday and don't understand why we couldn't push for 20m +.

It's not like he'd be on massive wages here either given he was reserve at Saints and would probably be on 30-40k there.

Can only guess there's a fixed fee somewhere in the negotiations. 

I think the Newcastle machine will grow exponentially and they’ll target ( no pun intended ) better than matty. They ain’t hanging around. Wood probably doesn’t get a game next season either. 

4 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I think the Newcastle machine will grow exponentially and they’ll target ( no pun intended ) better than matty. They ain’t hanging around. Wood probably doesn’t get a game next season either. 

While Howe remains there I think he'll be their starting LB until they try to get into europa spots.

• 2 weeks later...

Some local journos now saying Newcastle are nit going to sign targett on a permanently contract. If this is the case utteely pointless letting him go on loan.

If you going to loan him it make it that they have to buy him end of season

13 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Some local journos now saying Newcastle are nit going to sign targett on a permanently contract. If this is the case utteely pointless letting him go on loan.

If true we do make some odd decisions with loans sometimes. El Ghazi going down every week not even making the bench for a likely relegated team.

At least we finally got the hang of sending our under 20 players out on loan to teams at right ends of the table who actually play them.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If true we do make some odd decisions with loans sometimes. El Ghazi going down every week not even making the bench for a likely relegated team.

At least we finally got the hang of sending our under 20 players out on loan to teams at right ends of the table who actually play them.

If true its another strike against expert negotiator Purslow

Edited by Zatman

On 22/03/2022 at 00:46, Zatman said:

If true its another strike against expert negotiator Purslow

Not necessarily. I mean I think it’s an odd footballing decision given that it left us vulnerable and helped Newcastle avoid relegation. However business wise, I think we probably got a healthy loan fee and I imagine there’s a few other clubs that might be interested in him that will now know he has upped his form and is available. Still think he will sign for Newcastle though.

• Like 2

On 21/03/2022 at 10:53, Demitri_C said:

Nonsense, we've had a loan fee and his wages paid for. Plus he is impressing there at Newcastle so his value to anyone wanting to sign him this summer is higher than if he was benched with us after Digne was signed. 

Loaning players out to play is the better options to keep their value high. I suggest if we sign a CB in summer we should loan Hause out. We should also loan Sanson out rather than selling him when he hasn't played much in 18 months. When there are 3+ years remaining on contracts a loan which often includes a loan fee is the right play.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Nonsense, we've had a loan fee and his wages paid for. Plus he is impressing there at Newcastle so his value to anyone wanting to sign him this summer is higher than if he was benched with us after Digne was signed. 

Loaning players out to play is the better options to keep their value high. I suggest if we sign a CB in summer we should loan Hause out. We should also loan Sanson out rather than selling him when he hasn't played much in 18 months. When there are 3+ years remaining on contracts a loan which often includes a loan fee is the right play.

The thing is he wouldnt be benched, he would be playing right now. Also i thought gerrards strategy is competition for places. If digne dont play well that would open a opportunity for targett at left back.

Lets see if he goes for a decent fee in the summer to another club in the summer. I bet hs is loaned out again

On 23/03/2022 at 12:06, Demitri_C said:

The thing is he wouldnt be benched, he would be playing right now. Also i thought gerrards strategy is competition for places. If digne dont play well that would open a opportunity for targett at left back.

Lets see if he goes for a decent fee in the summer to another club in the summer. I bet hs is loaned out again

You could also argue that Targett made it clear that he wanted to go. It was probably better to get him out rather than have an unhappy player not willing to fight for his place.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, TRO said:

I thought his positional play against Spurs was Horrid.

I will be surprised if Newcastle buy him.

A few decent performances in a poor side and when they play a quality team his flaws are further exposed. 

He’s just a big wet wipe - I am not sure Newcastle will take him but we shall see. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

A few decent performances in a poor side and when they play a quality team his flaws are further exposed. 

He’s just a big wet wipe - I am not sure Newcastle will take him but we shall see. 

Another way of putting it would be that it was his first bad game for them, against one of the league's form teams.

How many of our players do you think have had a good game against the top 6 in the last half a year?

• Like 3

On 09/03/2022 at 17:32, YLN said:

Targett signed for Villa for 14 million and was one of our best players. And now is being sold to an extremely rich club who know he performs well in their side and we are looking for 15. For a player who has now played 2/3 PL seasons that they hadn't when we signed him. 

15 million is not nearly enough. I don't know what the relevance of the loan fee is. Newcastle spent 15 million on Jamal Lewis.

He was never, one of our best players for me.....Jack made him look better than he was.

36 minutes ago, TRO said:

He was never, one of our best players for me.....Jack made him look better than he was.

Easy to say that but Targett still had the intelligence to get in the right positions. And his quality passing forwards into feet is something that is seriously lacking in our side.

10 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Easy to say that but Targett still had the intelligence to get in the right positions. And his quality passing forwards into feet is something that is seriously lacking in our side.

Tom, its opinions......but I think his postional sense and reading of the game is suspect. I also think he lacks athleticism, for the top game.

Against Spurs, he was left wanting, just like he was against Watford, first game.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â