Matt Targett

villan-scott

7 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Emi Martinez is another player who chose to move to get more game time, instead of staying and fighting for the shirt at Arsenal. Good reminder there.

I certainly don’t have a problem with him ducking out , good luck to him but glad he’s gone tbh 

Seems to me like there is no middle ground between him bleeding the club and just taking a wage packet (if he stayed) or having no desire / confidence to fight for his shirt (if he left).

I personally think he should / could have stayed for the remainder of the season and tried to prove Gerrard wrong by performing to his utmost capabilities, who knows what may have happened, IE injury or a lack of form to Digne - Ok may not have happened but you never know.

Targett's best season came with no crowd (& with Grealish) and I think that and the fact that he's decided to go out on loan say's a fair bit about his character (negatively than positively).

Fair enough assess the situation again before the start of the season but I think he lacks fight and to be honest he won't fit in the system that SG has us playing (that may be the major factor in all this) - I've not read the interview.

All that said I would have been more than happy to see the season out with him as first choice and us get a real combative midfielder in but that's probably for another thread.

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Emi was fighting for the number 1 goalkeeper spot at Arsenal for 8 years. Targett went for the exit door the first moment there was any real competition for his position.

agreed totally different situation - Targett like always bottled it at the first sign of trouble.

I think he’s just being realistic and knowing his own limitations. He knew he wouldn’t get first team football here anymore and the Saudis came calling. I’d assume if he nails it at Newcastle he gets a large wage packet and remains in the PL (til he is replaced there as well) so I kinda see why he did it.

Shame he didn’t want to stay and fight, but he wants to play and careers are short. Good luck to him. 

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Emi was fighting for the number 1 goalkeeper spot at Arsenal for 8 years. Targett went for the exit door the first moment there was any real competition for his position.

Exactly, and he was justifiably pissed, after he performed brilliantly at the end of the 19-20 season (including winning an FA Cup final) only to be told Leno was going to be no.1 the next season.

That said I don't actually blame Targett for moving, yes a better player would have stayed and fought it out until at least the end of the season - but he knows he's not that good and he can see the writing on the wall. with Gerard.  We're moving on the bigger and better, so why not move now?  Especially to Newcastle where he can be first choice (on better money) for maybe another year or so before they get someone better in.

It seems to me that some believe Matt Targett is not a human being looking to have a successful career and play football, he is a commodity owned by Aston Villa.

He decided to go out on loan to play football, and has therefore become a bottler/traitor/wet wipe/un-ambitious, cross out what works for you. He doesn't have aspirations, a family, an ambition. Nope. He decided to jump ship, simple as. 

If that's the attitude some of us have to people looking to be successful in their trade, then I hope he stays at Newcastle and becomes the best LB in the country.

I wish him all the best, I wish he plays for us, but if not, best of luck Matt. He is a very solid, young player, and has served us very well. I hope he does well whatever shirt he ends up wearing.

Edited by Mic09

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It seems to me that some believe Matt Targett is not a human being looking to have a successful career and play football, he is a commodity owned by Aston Villa.

He decided to go out on loan to play football, and has therefore become a bottler/traitor/wet wipe/un-ambitious, cross out what works for you. He doesn't have aspirations, a family, an ambition. Nope. He decided to jump ship, simple as. 

If that's the attitude some of us have to people looking to be successful in their trade, then I hope he stays at Newcastle and becomes the best LB in the country.

I wish him all the best, I wish he plays for us, but if not, best of luck Matt. He is a very solid, young player, and has served us very well. I hope he does well whatever shirt he ends up wearing.

He's 26, he'll be finished in a few more years lol

4 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Complete load of drivel - he took the easy route, showed no fight if he had ambition he would of stayed.

Nothing to do with his family no idea why that's brought up if anything his family are settled near Birmingham ??

He's 26 yo also not young player.

WETWIPE

51 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Emi Martinez is another player who chose to move to get more game time, instead of staying and fighting for the shirt at Arsenal. Good reminder there.

Emi fought for the shirt for 10 years and still wasn't given any assurances after winning two trophies. Targett left the second he had any sort of competition. No comparison whatsoever.

52 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Because they should be motivated by competition - Targett always has been a wetwipe so its not suprising

Its not competition though, he wasn't getting ahead of Digne regardless of what he does 

He was ousted he knew it and he left 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Its not competition though, he wasn't getting ahead of Digne regardless of what he does 

He was ousted he knew it and he left 

Yes because all teams only have 1 leftback that plays every single game. 

Never injuries or suspension in premier league.

Just now, LondonVillian said:

Yes because all teams only have 1 leftback that plays every single game. 

Never injuries or suspension in premier league.

That's not competition though is it? Competition is train harder and better and get selected on Saturday, play well on Saturday and you keep your shirt

That's back up and he didn't want to be back up, he says as much 

11 minutes ago, a-k said:

Emi fought for the shirt for 10 years and still wasn't given any assurances after winning two trophies. Targett left the second he had any sort of competition. No comparison whatsoever.

Yep - just a weak mindset - can’t surpass what’s ahead of me so I’m gonna go leave. Probably better we have fewer with that mindset generally. We don’t progress otherwise. 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

That's not competition though is it? Competition is train harder and better and get selected on Saturday, play well on Saturday and you keep your shirt

That's back up and he didn't want to be back up, he says as much 

Yea because I'm sure Steven Gerrard told him he would never ever pick him regardless of how shit digne played. 

Get a grip he didn't fancy having to compete so he took his ball and went home. 

Neil Taylor never complained and just got on with it. 

Also, the idea that he’s viewed just as taking up a wage and a comfy seat on the bench is rubbish. Modern football is about squads. 99.99% would be happy knowing he was a backup choice. Nobody would accuse him of stealing a living. Just a nonsense point. 

• Like 1

Â