Matt Targett

villan-scott

5 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Wow. This is madness. Also, how do you agree the loan and then after negotiate on a possible purchase in the Summer?? FFS is basic negotiation skill, we are surely not that naive or desperate to get rid of him??

Assume we've agreed a loan fee we're happy to do business on. Now the option/obligation to buy is being negotiated. Then deal signed. 

5 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Wow. This is madness. Also, how do you agree the loan and then after negotiate on a possible purchase in the Summer?? FFS is basic negotiation skill, we are surely not that naive or desperate to get rid of him??

Because it’s not agreed in full, just in principle, to save time. 

The speed of this and the currently no clear benefit to us - makes me think it's being done in order we get someone else in. I mean, he's up there early getting the medical done, plenty of time for the other dominoes to fall. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pissflaps said:

My only concern is villa.. we stand to gain little from this unless it's an obligation to buy for a big fee. 

Surely villa ain't stupid enough to think after Newcastle stay up they will buy Targett unless we force them too. Not a chance in hell. They will buy real quality. 

So why would we help them now, with no obligation to buy, then they send him back to us and buy a replacement who is much better than Targett. Unless we are so hard up we need a loan fee. 

If he performs at Newcastle someone will be interested in him tbh, even if Newcastle aren't. He'll get no playing time to put himself in the shop window for us unless something bad happens to Digne and even then, we know he's unlikely to be the difference between them staying up or not. We've got a chance to get some money in for him now plus offset his wages. I dunno, it makes a lot of sense to me. 

If people think they are going to take up an option to buy in the summer for 20m they are deluded.

He will be straight back here again, unsettled and his stock will be lower.

A terrible deal unless it's an obligation to buy and even then were leaving ourselves short and also helping Newcastle stay up.

• Like 2

Why worry about aiding Newcastle. We won't be competing with them for players next season. They will be on a different level to us. The only positive is that they will knock one of the top 4 off their spot.

They will be competing with City for the title. In the future league positions will be dictated by the amount of money a club has.

It is a sad state of affairs. And don't think anything will be done about it. Nothing was done about Chelsea or City. 

I started supporting Villa in the fifties and loved it for many years; even the Ellis years were bearable.

But this ain't football.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Or perhaps Targett has simply got the hump about Digne signing and chucked his toys out of his pram ?

his performance when the deal was about to be signed, suggested he wasn't much of a fighter tbf.

• Like 1

In the Summer, we were happy enough (at least I thought we were) with Targett, and Young as his deputy.

In January, we've signed a player for £25m, on whom the fan base seems unanimous that it is an upgrade, we still have Young, and we now have only 17 games left all season.
But Targett cannot leave as it leaves us short at LB?

I understand not wanting to given Newcastle any help. But I am 10000% sure that this decision has been made for AVFC, whilst taking into account the players wishes also.
I can understand wanting to have loads of players in the squad - but we are already seeing Carney get unsettled (apparently) due to lack of opportunities. At some point the kids have to be given a chance.
And we haven't unlimited wealth.

Reminder - no one knows the deal. We signed Ings - no one knew. We signed Chambers - apart from 1 bloke on twitter, no-one knew. 
Don't believe the bullshit - and wait for the facts.

• Like 3

Just now, Pez1974 said:

In the Summer, we were happy enough (at least I thought we were) with Targett, and Young as his deputy.

In January, we've signed a player for £25m, on whom the fan base seems unanimous that it is an upgrade, we still have Young, and we now have only 17 games left all season.
But Targett cannot leave as it leaves us short at LB?

I understand not wanting to given Newcastle any help. But I am 10000% sure that this decision has been made for AVFC, whilst taking into account the players wishes also.
I can understand wanting to have loads of players in the squad - but we are already seeing Carney get unsettled (apparently) due to lack of opportunities. At some point the kids have to be given a chance.
And we haven't unlimited wealth.

Reminder - no one knows the deal. We signed Ings - no one knew. We signed Chambers - apart from 1 bloke on twitter, no-one knew. 
Don't believe the bullshit - and wait for the facts.

Nail on head. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Targett is a pussy tbh. 

Yeah, I think getting all the pussies out is Gerrard’s plan. AEG gone and now Targett, but also trimming the wage bill significantly - hopefully making space for a new addition. 

2 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Why worry about aiding Newcastle. We won't be competing with them for players next season. They will be on a different level to us. The only positive is that they will knock one of the top 4 off their spot.

They will be competing with City for the title. In the future league positions will be dictated by the amount of money a club has.

It is a sad state of affairs. And don't think anything will be done about it. Nothing was done about Chelsea or City. 

I started supporting Villa in the fifties and loved it for many years; even the Ellis years were bearable.

But this ain't football.

Because them getting relegated this year could put them back a few years and would wipe out much of their current FFP leeway. And I still think relegation is very much a possibility for them. That could give us an extra few years to establish ourselves higher up the table before they are able to seriously make a push for the top.

A few years could make a big difference. It's widely accepted one of the reasons (and I know there were many more) Randy Lerner lost passion for his 'project' was Man City being bought and being able to blow everyone out of the water financially.

Now teams have so much more money there is a lot less need to sell 'up the ladder'. With FFP in place too it's going to take longer for Newcastle than it did for Man City and any further delays can only play into our hands.

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I don’t care about the reasons for him leaving, I just want the money. Newcastle, where’s my money  bitch? 

Yes this it it, we never sell players, especially for profit. 

we are doing a deal with these lot and they get it on their terms.

• Like 1

Clearly been displaced by a better player.

No doubt wants first team football, may have spat his dummy out around being dropped, no doubt Newcastle will be covering his wages. Either he goes permanently in the summer or comes back to fight for a place next season.

What other benefits are people looking for out of this? 

16 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Targett is a pussy tbh. I didn't want him to go but not wanting to stay and fight for your place when you've been poor is pretty pathetic. Player of the season last year, bitch of the season this year. 

To be fair, I kind of feel like this, but this ain't how I would describe it 😂.

I see two sides, he wants to go out and play, and is probably hurt at being chucked out almost instantaneously by the new Manager.

On the flip side, I'm also dissappointed he didn't want to stay and fight for his place. Possibly more for sentimental reasons though. I do like Matty.

19 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

But this ain't football.

What do you mean in the future? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Clearly been displaced by a better player.

No doubt wants first team football, may have spat his dummy out around being dropped, no doubt Newcastle will be covering his wages. Either he goes permanently in the summer or comes back to fight for a place next season.

What other benefits are people looking for out of this? 

I take it you can't look past the end of this season and the ramifications of a team like Newcastle staying up and the potential that has for **** our chances up of progress. Do you not remember 2008 when man city effectively did that? It's possible while not certain it will happen again. If the top 6 cartel become 7 we have no **** hope do we.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â