Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

4 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Balaban was worse, at least Wesley scored a couple of goals but for me was still useless before injury, it's not a luc nilis situation where the guy looked a world beater before the injury 

I don't think he was.

Plus we bought him for £6m and sold for £1.5m.

Bought Wes for £20m and will be releasing him for nothing having paid him over £10m. It's a truly incredible transfer.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I doubt his career is over at any level. Surely he could still potentially play at lower levels in the league? League 1 maybe?

The top of League 1 is incredibly competitive. He's not good enough for that level. I think he'd be getting a lot of reds as well as players realise how easily he can be wound up.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, duke313 said:

Is Wesley the biggest flop we’ve ever had, given how much we paid for him? Obviously his decline is somewhat beyond his control given the injury he sustained.

Think we overpaid by about 5m just to make work permit application easier.

If he'd been in 15m range then you wouldn't say he was worse than McCormack or even Hogan as he at least did score some goals that won us points and could well have hit double figures in prem if he'd played the full season.

No one can ever foresee injury that actually ends a players top level career and it so rarely happens.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I doubt his career is over at any level. Surely he could still potentially play at lower levels in the league? League 1 maybe?

Would he want to stay in England just playing at low levels?

Think we got him the club back in Brazil just to get him back home but obviously top level is just too much for him post injury.

• Like 1

I would say Ross McCormack was our worst ever signing. We played it safe by signing a proven Championship goal scorer or so we thought. Not a gamble, just guaranteed goals so paid the premium for it. Unfortunately as has often been the case with Villa, proven goalscorers seem to forget how to score when they sign for us. Instead we signed a fat, useless waste of space with an attitude even worse than his performances. Then top it off we had to pay him a promotion bonus despite not playing for us for two years.

Wesley was rubbish but he was a gamble, tried his best and suffered that awful injury. McCormack was just a disaster from start to finish.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, YLN said:

Well if he's on £35-50k a week, that is probably some comfort. I would imagine few of his classmates in Brazil will earn 1 year of his wages in their whole life. It's sad that his career has not worked out, but he is a young extremely rich man who will get support from the club when his contract is up. I imagine the same support someone who ages out of the academy gets when they are being released. They won't have ten million in their back pocket though.

I remember reading though that there is someone in the club who looks after the young footballers who havent made it and gets them reintegrated into life not around millionaires

Really appreciate those perspectives and all that information. All makes perfect sense. Hopefully, he will manage his money well and find his way …

9 hours ago, pete101 said:

Balaban was worse, at least Wesley scored a couple of goals but for me was still useless before injury, it's not a luc nilis situation where the guy looked a world beater before the injury 

Balaban had a very good career, outside of us. Was a strange signing. Well, perhaps not so strange if you believe the rumours about fraud and backhanders. 

• Shocked 2

14 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don’t know how someone who had his career ruined by an injury can be deemed a flop.

He was improving, ironically the game in which he got injured was one of his best in a Villa shirt.

He was an unconventional player with an unconventional route into football, he had scope for development but the injury means we’ll never know how good he may have become.

Did we get value for money on the transfer? No. Is he our ‘biggest flop’? Harsh in my opinion.

I agree…

He scored more goals and played more games for us than Balaban…

At least we got SOME form of joy out of him signing for us

20 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don’t know how someone who had his career ruined by an injury can be deemed a flop.

He was improving, ironically the game in which he got injured was one of his best in a Villa shirt.

He was an unconventional player with an unconventional route into football, he had scope for development but the injury means we’ll never know how good he may have become.

Did we get value for money on the transfer? No. Is he our ‘biggest flop’? Harsh in my opinion.

Agreed

Started for Internacional but was subbed after 59 mins against Ceara.

First time in 6 games he's gotten minutes so that's something at least.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Sasa Curcic? Neale Cooper. Both similar to Wes.   Came here with high hopes but hardly played due to injuries. 

Didn't cost £20m and get paid £10m though.

Sasa Curcic has a great wiki page.

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Exactly this. People saying Wesley and Okore were flops. No, having their knees explode didn't make them flops .  Players like McCormack were.  We wasted a large amount of money on a rocket polisher. Now that is a flop.

• Like 3

On 02/07/2022 at 14:47, Tomaszk said:

The top of League 1 is incredibly competitive. He's not good enough for that level. I think he'd be getting a lot of reds as well as players realise how easily he can be wound up.

Mate.

He actually scored goals in the Premier League, you genuinely don't think he is even good enough for League One level anymore?

He alsoobed to us with Champions League experience.

Obviously haven't seen him play since leaving here, ( And the reports aren't good ) so can't judge, but I find it hard to believe that he's not even good enough for League One.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Didn't cost £20m and get paid £10m though.

£6m in 2001 is “more” than £20m in 2019.

Balaban signed a £20k/wk contract back then as well.

All for literally zero product. 

Edited by bobzy

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â