Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Just love that we are seeing fans judge him on 2 matches we lost newly promoted with a brand new team and nada relations, amongst them against the CL finalist with top European class cbs. 

Nevermind the fact he was quality pre season. 

How many chances has the team created for him so far? Genuine question. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

CB scored in his first game, didn't he? Came on as a sub against the Albion, missed an absolute sitter from about 4 yards, then scored a much harder chance 5 minutes later - all down the far end (North stand). He looked raw but dangerous. Wesley looks sort of meek and harmless.

I thought he looked a little “ meek and harmless” in the friendlies...a bit of decent link up play and a well taken goal. No way would I have judged him on that though, way too early......but in the back of my mind I thought JK would push him hard.

Now I’ve seen him, what, 4/5 games altogether, I’d say he’s got better, and certainly waaayyy less meek, with each game. 

I can’t predict whether he will be a prolific goal scorer, but then I don’t think he needs to be. Have I seen enough to suggest he’ll score 8/10 ? Well I suppose the honest answer has to be no, not yet.......I think I’d have needed to see him get three or four openings in the last game, one in the game before....whereas the decent stuff he’s done has been away from goal.

But he doesn’t look like a dud, like, say Harewood, or Allback, or Geddes, or Carlton Cole, or....hasn’t got much to beat to be honest has he ...?😄

My gut feeling is he’s clever, strong, and skilful, and will score a decent amount...but he won’t be a “ poacher”....then again, we rarely have them.

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Just love that we are seeing fans judge him on 2 matches we lost newly promoted with a brand new team and nada relations, amongst them against the CL finalist with top European class cbs. 

To be honest the same could be said of some of the comments for the whole team.

I really did think that - Given we were 13th in the Championship 16/17 games ago almost every fan would think they’d hang on at least half a dozen games to see how things pan out. 

Silly me !

Outside Of VP, we are every teams favourite Club to play.

When we were last a Premier League side, we expected to beat the Play Off qualifiers every season.

For Tottenham and Bournemouth fans, beating us will be amongst their least remarkable results this season.

16 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

2 matches is all we have.

My concern was in part based on what I seen pre season - He didn't look anything special to me. 

Many mitigating circumstances of course  - Theres plenty of reason to believe he can improve on his performances so far -  but if I am giving an opinion on what I have seen so far - very much a work in progress, with improvement required.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

IF he flops, he wouldn't be the first striker to come with a decent reputation elsewhere, flop for us and then promptly return to form elsewhere. It's still an IF though, for now.

Serious question - with no big goal scoring stats in the Belgium league ,  does he come with a decent reputation ? 

It would have been better if we had signed another striker with him - so he can be eased in gradually.

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Think everyone agrees we should have signed another striker. If anything cause Kodjia isn't a PL level striker. 

Because of that there's extra pressure on him to perform and to perform almost immediately, which is not his fault and a bit unfair but nevertheless is the situation he finds himself in. Obviously far too early to make a real judgement on him but he hasn't really looked close to scoring yet. Arguably, he's not had much help and has cut an isolated figure up front but we'll probably need someone who can create something out of nothing, with or without assistance. 

You are that's where I don't get the negativity. Pressure on him to perform? He already is? He had some fantastic hold up play. Not his fault our 5 man midfield can hardly deliver a cross or any decent chance. Lets actually give him the service before we get negative. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You are that's where I don't get the negativity. Pressure on him to perform? He already is? He had some fantastic hold up play. Not his fault our 5 man midfield can hardly deliver a cross or any decent chance. Lets actually give him the service before we get negative. 

Is this the Scott Hogan thread?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

CB scored in his first game, didn't he? Came on as a sub against the Albion, missed an absolute sitter from about 4 yards, then scored a much harder chance 5 minutes later - all down the far end (North stand). He looked raw but dangerous. Wesley looks sort of meek and harmless.

Was against Swansea, but yeah he did come off the bench and score then. But I distinctly remember him having quite a tough time around October/November that year.

• Like 1

I don't get all the negativity around Wesley.

He's played two premiership games and to be honest hasn't done too bad, granted not amazing but also not bad.

He will improve over time and all the forward players need to get used to each other, and when he gets supported better and gets better service I'm sure he will be fine.

I think there is some over critical stuff going on in relation to Wesley tbh.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He contributes a lot more than Hogan ever did. Let’s be fair on the lad.

Yeah I know. Not a dig at wes just the style of post. 

Exaggerate the basics and blame everyone else for not looking like scoring - that was the hogan thread for 18 months.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The problem is not him actually, at least for me it isn't. It's the fact that we've put him in a position where he has to perform. We rely on him. That's a mistake by Dean. Maybe there was nothing he could do, I don't know.

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yeah I know. Not a dig at wes just the style of post. 

Exaggerate the basics and blame everyone else for not looking like scoring - that was the hogan thread for 18 months.

Can’t argue with that. Hopefully doesn’t happen with Wes!

On 19/08/2019 at 12:20, DCJonah said:

Over the weekend stats

Touches -

Benteke - 33

Joelinton - 35

Wesley - 27

Passes/% complete

Benteke - 21/62%

Joelinton - 14/78%

Wesley - 15/53%

Aerials won

Benteke - 8

Joelinton - 2

Wesley - 3

Shots/on target

Benteke - 1/1

Joelinton - 2/0

Wesley - 2/1

Thanks, always good to see stats like that. When you just look at the game like I did it's probably easy to see more what you want to see. Bentekes stats are much better than the impression I got when I saw the game, hardly noticed him doing anything of worth. Joelintons slightly better. Could also be worth noting that Benteke cost £30M and Joelinton £40M.

What has concerned me a little is that Wesley has looked a bit slow into the situations, like the defenders have been one step ahead of him most times. It could be that he needs to get used to the team mates and the tempo and hopefully he will sort that out.

Compared to fo example Benteke I think he has looked very good the times he has dropped back, received the ball at his feet and then picked out passes. Looks like he is intelligent and a good passer, like that delightful direct chip to Trezeguet in the second half. Benteke was often a bit more hit and miss with his passing. When it comes to having the ball at the feet and running towards the defenders, or having the ball in tight situations near the corner flag, Wesley looks far more limited in those aspects. Benteke could to step overs and little tricks, and could beat his man, whereas Wesley seems to be the typcial target man who in those situations tries to find a pass instead. I remember Benteke running through both Chelseas and Liverpools defences with the ball, or when he shrugged away Smalling and ran half the pitch with the ball. Those things I dont think we will see from Wesley. What I'm hopeing for is a good intelligent target player who creates chances for others and gets first on the ball on crosses and scored a few himself. If that's enough in the long run for where we want to be I'm not sure. Though he is only 22 still so still have plenty of time to improve.

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â