Pre-match thread

villa89

Team I'd go with:

......................Steer/Kalinic......................

Guilbert......Engels.......Mings......Targett

.............................Luiz.............................

.............McGinn..............Grealish...........

Trezeguet..................................El Ghazi

.........................Wesley...........................

I don't really feel comfortable either Steer or Kalinic playing so I really hope we sign a proven goalkeeper by then. Jota has been good preseason, but Trezeguet's record suggests he will cause Spurs far more problems and I just have a feeling Jota won't be up to it against better teams, but could be wrong. The other big call for me is, provided he comes in, whether to go for Nakamba over Luiz (if both receive their work permits in time). Nakamba might be better against tougher opposition where we might not see the ball for longer periods, given his ability to break up play. Hopefully the work permits are ready by then as if we play Hourihane there it could be a nightmare. 

We'll need to be switched on defensively for obvious reasons and the DM will need to cover our full backs. At least Son is missing for Spurs but they still have Moura, Kane, and Eriksen (for now), with Alli and Lamela also capable of doing something. But they're notoriously slow starters to the season and Kane doesn't score in August so who knows.

On 26/07/2019 at 08:44, villaglint said:

I'm expecting a defeat because it's a team that got to the CL final who have a very good record at their new home. So I'm going into this game looking for a performance as much as anything. To show that we can compete with decent sides and not just get rolled over in the first 30 mins. Wolves had a game I think 2nd match against City which really set the tone for the rest of their season. They lost but left their mark on the game. 

If we win I'll try not to get too overexcited. I remember beating Arsenal 3-1 away a few years back on the opening day and nearly getting relegated that year. 

Fun fact - that Arsenal game cost me £29k - 10 - match Acca and that was the only result I got wrong. 

Fun Fact i had £20 on us to win 3-1 that day ;) Just one of those games where i knew we would beat them 3-1, no logical reason for it, Just a mystic meg moment. Didn't get me 29k but was a nice payday. You could actually get 9/1 on us simply to win the game at all.

Think i may just stick with BTTS & +2.5 goals for the spuds game

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Fun Fact i had £20 on us to win 3-1 that day ;) Just one of those games where i knew we would beat them 3-1, no logical reason for it, Just a mystic meg moment. Didn't get me 29k but was a nice payday. You could actually get 9/1 on us simply to win the game at all.

Think i may just stick with BTTS & +2.5 goals for the spuds game

I wish you’d told me! Would have been a lot more than 29k with that result in there! 

14 hours ago, villaglint said:

I wish you’d told me! Would have been a lot more than 29k with that result in there! 

just a bit, guess Arsenal to win would have been about 2/7 - Villa 3-1 was over 100/1

If i ever end up doing some time travel i'll remember to post it in the pre-match thread for you ;)  Oh & to put a lot more than £20 on it :)

Edited by LakotaDakota

22 hours ago, MichaelBN said:

To those of you who live in England - when you're traveling as a fan of the away team to and from the stadium, in this particular case Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. Is it "safe" to wear an Aston Villa shirt when walking around in London, waiting for the train etc, or is it best to wear neutral colors when outside the stadium?

You'll be fine for this fixture, don't worry about it.

Only way anyone would have an issue with it is if you were goading spurs fans or being generally rowdy, which I'm sure you won't :) 

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

My only worry is DM. If Douglas or Marv are not ready, it'll be Hourihane. A real weak link in that position, and Spuds will know it. 

Marvelous played in the African cup of nations and i presume he will be given a full 90mins against RB so i don't imagine he is too far away from full fitness to be fair. 

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We look ready for Spurs now after seeing that Leipzig match, my team would be: 

Heaton 

Guilbert Engels Mings Targett

McGinn Luiz Grealish

Jota Wesley El Ghazi (if fit, he came off injured against Leipzig)

agree generally, however would go Hassan over El Ghazi personally (might need to if he's injured).

Also not sure Luiz will be ready, would pick Nakamba, but i reckon Smith will go for Hourihane.

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

agree generally, however would go Hassan over El Ghazi personally (might need to if he's injured).

Also not sure Luiz will be ready, would pick Nakamba, but i reckon Smith will go for Hourihane.

Doesn’t Trezeguet play on the right? I think it would be unfair to drop Jota based on pre season

In my opinion, Hourihane would be dominated away at Spurs, one of Luiz or Nakamba please 

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Doesn’t Trezeguet play on the right? I think it would be unfair to drop Jota based on pre season

In my opinion, Hourihane would be dominated away at Spurs, one of Luiz or Nakamba please 

Hassan can play on the right, but is a LW effectively, he's right footed and playes like an inside forward/winger form the LW (preferred).

Agreed re Hourihane, but im starting to feel like Smith has a thing for Hourihane and might not agree......