Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

On 10/06/2020 at 21:44, useless said:

Interestng that we won the away game but lost the home game. Only a small example but makes you wonder if in a small way it suggests that home advantage might be lost without a crowd.

This has very much been the case in Germany.  In fact, after the first couple of rounds of fixtures, away teams were actually more successful than home teams, with home teams only winning 20% of the matches. 

Looks like the trend continued, so home advantage is definitely weakened,  if not removed.

Which makes a further farce of the plan to restart in these conditions but, hey,  integrity and overflowing wallets etc

9 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

This has very much been the case in Germany.  In fact, after the first couple of rounds of fixtures, away teams were actually more successful than home teams, with home teams only winning 20% of the matches. 

Looks like the trend continued, so home advantage is definitely weakened,  if not removed.

Which makes a further farce of the plan to restart in these conditions but, hey,  integrity and overflowing wallets etc

It is a farce but we would be relegated unfairly otherwise unfortunately. 

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Large gathering of fans outside Sevilla stadium last night. Maybe this will give them the wake up call for the big games be played neutral venues

I doubt this is even on the agenda anymore. When neutral venues were proposed we were still in state of strict lockdown, since then we've had Dominic Cummings' north east jolly, BLM mass protests and schools returning. Football fans gathering outside stadia seems mild now.

Struggling teams can just keep booting the balls into the stands. Not like any fans will be there to throw it back 😂

Players and coaching staff will not be required to wear masks at stadiums when the Premier League restarts.

Players will be encouraged not to spit or clear their noses and not to break social distancing during goal celebrations.

There will be no ball boys or girls - a system of sterilised replacement balls will be used.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, John said:

I remember we played a pre-season friendly about 50 years ago, against Italy U-21s at Villa Park and we came out in our new away kit. Villa were booed when they came out of the tunnel, because everyone on the Holte End thought they were the visitors. We weren't very welcoming back then, even for a friendly.😊

Remember it well a combination of new yellow and blue  kit and summer tanned legs. Imagine turning out in a kit today that no one had any idea about.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smg said:

Remember it well a combination of new yellow and blue  kit and summer tanned legs. 

It was a very long time ago, funny how that one brief moment has stuck in our memories. We could do with trying a bit of Catenaccio style defending in our remaining games this season. ;) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Social distancing goal celebrations.

We've been social distancing from corners and free kicks all season so at least we will be consistent. 

When you consider that the majority of the money we spent in the summer was on the defence, Heaton £8m, Engels £8m, Hause £3m, Mings £25m, Konsa £12m, Targett £11m, Guilbert £5m, that's £80m,  so for us to be so poor defensively is pretty bad going, and doesn't even take into account the nearly £30m that we spent on Nakamba and Luiz, brought in as defensve midfielders.

• Like 2

Watching the Juv vs Milan game, with a red card and missed penalty so plenty of action but jeez it’s soulless.  It’s been hard watching the German games recently but thought this might be better so I’m not overly optimistic on the enjoyment of the PL games.

I love watching any games normally but I think the mix between my attitude of the return of footy in this pandemic and then the environment issues of stadium, players, fitness, interest and much more including no fans is pushing me to look at my remote too often to see if there is something else on tv.  Haven’t yet but still a second half to go....

10 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Struggling teams can just keep booting the balls into the stands. Not like any fans will be there to throw it back 😂

Great idea! 1-0 up away at Liverpool they would surely only have 3 or 4 balls on standby so you just look for the parts of the ground where there's nobody to get the ball back and keep lobbing it into the stands like at every opportunity! Surely it would take some considerable time to endlessly retrieve one of the balls and then have to disinfect it as someone had then touched it? It might be a way to counterbalance the 5 subs thing a little :).

That 5 sub thing will have a huge impact on games though. I remember well the Liverpool at home thing when we were winning with just a few minutes left and they brought on 3 World class subs which strengthened them whilst we had to bring on Elmo (cost us the 1st goal) & a couple of others all of whom if anything weakened us... it was what tipped the balance & allowed them the win. Imagine that they can now do that FIVE times! Shocking and extremely unfair in my view. It will 100% make it even more difficult now to beat the likes of Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool etc... sadly we still have to play most of them!... So best get kicking that ball into touch!! ;)

This may be one of the saddest things I have ever seen (football related obviously) Villa to beat Sheff U, at home, 3-1....that’s Sheff U......at home!!!!!!!! 28-1. Unbelievable Jeff!!! I have just piled in. UTV. COYVB!!!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If fitness levels are anything like the Juve Milan game I just watched the first few games have 0-0 written all over them. 

Dunno there hasn't been that many 0-0s in the games I have seen 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John said:

It was a very long time ago, funny how that one brief moment has stuck in our memories. We could do with trying a bit of Catenaccio style defending in our remaining games this season. ;) 

Catenaccio defending , not sure our defenders could say it let alone actually put it into practice. It would be nice though and probably save us if done properly .

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, M_Afro said:

This may be one of the saddest things I have ever seen (football related obviously) Villa to beat Sheff U, at home, 3-1....that’s Sheff U......at home!!!!!!!! 28-1. Unbelievable Jeff!!! I have just piled in. UTV. COYVB!!!

What about 4-1? @Robtaylor200