Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Just now, Mjvilla said:

I don't see how. If there's a rule set for the premier league to finish, then all leagues finish. That includes the further down the step scale you go. I know clubs who have a huge backlog of fixtures anyway due to flooding, and players with families who have summer holidays booked around the football season. Or time booked off work to be with their loved ones in the summer and they wouldn't want to be playing football. This isn't just what suits the premier leagux, this decision has to suit all levels of the game. Playing in the summer doesn't suit all levels of the game. I think the authorities will face huge problems from its members if they are forced to play on. It could change the face of the game as a whole. Particularly further down the scale.

I was mostly talking about those leagues with money in them and big TV-deals and European spots to compete with across Europe.

Lower leagues will have to fend for themselves, tons of small clubs all over Europe will go under unless the respective FA's bails them out. Most of those league seasons will get scrapped I imagine.

Just now, sne said:

I was mostly talking about those leagues with money in them and big TV-deals and European spots to compete with across Europe.

Lower leagues will have to fend for themselves, tons of small clubs all over Europe will go under unless the respective FA's bails them out. Most of those league seasons will get scrapped I imagine.

But whats the point in resolving promotion/relegation higher up and not further down? Promotion/relegation is at all levels of the game. How is the integrity of the premier league relegation battle upheld if no one will get relegated in the Hellenic league? At what level does promotion/relegation stop? What about the team directly below that level that wins the league? Would they not have a case to go legal? They're a member of the fa after all. I don't see how it finishes, I really don't. And if it does, there will be massive ramifications.

Just now, Mjvilla said:

But whats the point in resolving promotion/relegation higher up and not further down? Promotion/relegation is at all levels of the game. How is the integrity of the premier league relegation battle upheld if no one will get relegated in the Hellenic league? At what level does promotion/relegation stop? What about the team directly below that level that wins the league? Would they not have a case to go legal? They're a member of the fa after all. I don't see how it finishes, I really don't. And if it does, there will be massive ramifications.

There is not going to be a good way to handle this no matter what they do.

Money talks and "fair" goes out the window as soon as their income is threatened. I can see there being a bit of a fight between the FA and the PL coming up.

6 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I don't see how. If there's a rule set for the premier league to finish, then all leagues finish. That includes the further down the step scale you go. I know clubs who have a huge backlog of fixtures anyway due to flooding, and players with families who have summer holidays booked around the football season. Or time booked off work to be with their loved ones in the summer and they wouldn't want to be playing football. This isn't just what suits the premier leagux, this decision has to suit all levels of the game. Playing in the summer doesn't suit all levels of the game. I think the authorities will face huge problems from its members if they are forced to play on. It could change the face of the game as a whole. Particularly further down the scale.

Not sure how you think summer holidays are going to go ahead as normal if the current restrictions stay in place for as long as the experts expect, or more likely get more extreme. This year is going to be an extraordinary one all round and we must expect lots of disruption. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if the 2019/20 season was finished off in autumn 2020.

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Not sure how you think summer holidays are going to go ahead as normal if the current restrictions stay in place for as long as the experts expect, or more likely get more extreme. This year is going to be an extraordinary one all round and we must expect lots of disruption. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if the 2019/20 season was finished off in autumn 2020.

It's why I put in the sentence after 'time booked off work to spend time with loved ones'. 

Another thing to consider is that 2021-22 is supposed to have a winter shutdown for the world cup, so any impact on the 2020-21 season could cause further problems.

I think this could lead to major changes in the domestic fixtures namely the scrapping of FA cup replays and even the League Cup being sacked off. Money will talk once this is all over.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Today's the day, that we should know, what the PL's plans are for the current season (unless they fudge things and put off making a final decision).

They need to make the sensible decision now, rather than one that will placate the likes of Liverpool, Leeds and various football pundits. Championships, promotion and relegation matters, have not been finalised for this season, and there is little realistic prospect of the season's outstanding fixtures being completed before the Autumn, given the severity of the threat to human life that this virus currently poses. They shouldn't look to find a contrived way of finishing the season, by adopting some hastily contrived formula to decide on promotion, relegation and Championships, without completing all of the season's fixtures. They also shouldn't consider eating into the time normally allocated to the following season, in order to bring the current one to it's conclusion. Doing so, would clearly risk making a hotchpotch of season 20/21, in order to maintain the so called "integrity" of the season that went before it.

Far better, that we aim to allocate enough time, to try to complete next season and accept that this one, due to circumstances beyond football's control, will forever remain incomplete, and be null & void. Football needs to get in line with other sports, given the current government advice on the steps required to attempt to manage this virus, that is sadly currently killing so many people in Europe. We need to focus on minimising casualties and on winning the fight against this virus, that has been likened to a war, rather than on finding some way of finishing the current season. The fight against this virus has been likened to a war, we didn't look to complete the 1939/40 football season did we?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, John said:

Today's the day, that we should know, what the PL's plans are for the current season (unless they fudge things and put off making a final decision).

They need to make the sensible decision now, rather than one that will placate the likes of Liverpool, Leeds and various football pundits. Championships, promotion and relegation matters, have not been finalised for this season, and there is little realistic prospect of the season's outstanding fixtures being completed before the Autumn, given the severity of the threat to human life that this virus currently poses. They shouldn't look to find a contrived way of finishing the season, by adopting some hastily contrived formula to decide on promotion, relegation and Championships, without completing all of the season's fixtures. They also shouldn't consider eating into the time normally allocated to the following season, in order to bring the current one to it's conclusion. Doing so, would clearly risk making a hotchpotch of season 20/21, in order to maintain the so called "integrity" of the season that went before it.

Far better, that we aim to allocate enough time, to try to complete next season and accept that this one, due to circumstances beyond football's control, will forever remain incomplete, and be null & void. Football needs to get in line with other sports, given the current government advice on the steps required to attempt to manage this virus, that is sadly currently killing so many people in Europe. We need to focus on minimising casualties and on winning the fight against this virus, that has been likened to a war, rather than on finding some way of finishing the current season. The fight against this virus has been likened to a war, we didn't look to complete the 1939/40 football season did we?

Well said, any decision should be made with a moral obligation at its very core.

Money and football is not important when it comes to health.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

How long is the contract with Carabao? Could they scrap the league cup or would they have to honour the contract?

Its peanuts compared to the premier league. Man City got a hundred grand for winning it. The top clubs were grumbling about it anyways so it would be a good time in their opinion to let it go.

Yeah I think this will be used to trim away a few things that the bigwigs in football deem have become undesirable. Things that are temporarily removed to try and get the schedules to work might not be introduced back again.

A lot of things will have to be renegotiated and I would be surprised if the money clubs don't use this to press their agenda. 

If they don't get what they want it might even be one of the vital points in a push for their coveted Europa Super League.

Edited by sne

looks like they will be rushing the season to completion in the summer.

disgusting decision imo, shows exactly what rules the FA/PL, and its money, not any care for health or wellness of the fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

looks like they will be rushing the season to completion in the summer.

disgusting decision imo, shows exactly what rules the FA/PL, and its money, not any care for health or wellness of the fans.

Source?

Frankly this season is now a farce. Whatever the outcome it is ridiculous to carry on with it. Even fixtures behind closed doors are not really an accurate reflection on what would have possibly happened had it been in front of a full house for either team. It is practically lunacy to attend games under the current circumstances and that will not be changing by the time Summer hits that is clear.

I will never respect any decision to play or the results from games played "under duress" such as behind closed doors (especially as most of our remaining ones were at home thus we would lose that advantage) or whatever & if we got relegated as a result of such actions i doubt i could actually take football seriously from there on in.

Of course however we all know that so long as the Sky 4 & the big London 4 are ok they do not care one iota about the rest.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the season MUST be completed by a certain date, I wonder if there is a rule stipulated as such?

Looks like they'll be no football for two months, I just can't see how a 8-10 week break can just stop and then we recommence the football season!

They are not going to be playing football within two months, that's for sure. 

When the football starts again, the players will have had long enough off to be ready to go again. Just because Bodymoor is closed I'm sure they can workout at home and not forget their colleagues names and how to play football. 

Dunno where else to put this so forgive me but might save some of you a few quid.

Sky are allowing you to pause your sky sports subscription whilst there is no footy.

Gotta call them to pause it though.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Zatman said:

For contract reasons, I assume it has to be the 30th June

just to quote myself, Gab Marcotti said UEFA needs to know by July 2nd who will be competing in next years European competitions

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

UEFA saying 30th June must mean they've accepted that the contract issue makes playing beyond then very difficult - imagine a big relegation/champions league qualification game between Villa and Man Utd in July - with Jack Grealish making his first appearance for United - it just wouldn't be the same competition.

So, with us having ten games to play, I reckon that gives us a deadline of about five weeks prior to 30th June - if we're not playing by May 23rd I think we're safe.

• Like 1