Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Mixed bag of results today. West Ham, Brighton and Crystal Palace losing are an unequivocal good with no downsides. Pretty much the same with Watford getting thrashed by Burnley. Would rather Norwich have lost to Everton (or a draw) but it keeps Everton down there.

Arsenal can piss off though.

• Like 1

I'm pretty happy with that actually. Southampton won't do a great escape with plucky 2-2s against anyone and another winnable home game Watford haven't come close to winning. Fair play to Norwich but Everton have have had a very easy fixture list so far this season and it's going to get much harder over the next 6 weeks, same for West Ham so those are two I'd expect to stay down in bottom six up to new year....unless either sack their manager of course.

A win v Newcastle though would do a world of good to things.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Are we the only team in the league not to get a single point against the big clubs so far?

We really need to show a bit more bottle in those games from now on tbh. Always seems we crumble against those sorts of teams whenever they apply a bit of pressure on us. Southampton defence conceded 9 the other week and yet they looked pretty good at the back v Arsenal today up to 95th minute.

Homes v Man. United, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea in the second half of the season, we certainly can't afford to just write those games off as we have historically done (o.k maybe not v Chelsea).

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Are we the only team in the league not to get a single point against the big clubs so far?

Sorry to pick on you mate but I’m going through posts and people are talking about how the results are not too bad for us then I see this.  We might be the only club not to take a single point against a so called big club but seriously who gives a f**k as long as we beat teams around us?!

We started the weekend three points clear of relegation now we're only one point clear; the results in the course of this present day are only of any use to us if we actually win our game, if we don't then we'll be in a worse position than we were before the weekend started. The Newcastle game has suddenly become humongous.

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Sorry to pick on you mate but I’m going through posts and people are talking about how the results are not too bad for us then I see this.  We might be the only club not to take a single point against a so called big club but seriously who gives a f**k as long as we beat teams around us?!

Yep,  but we gotta hope we actually beat the teams around us enough that it makes up for the fact that we don't win against the big clubs when other clubs around us do. Its not as if we've been beating all the teams around us, and its not like other teams around us haven't been doing so either. Points are points in the end so its not as if their wins on the big clubs are meaningless.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

West Ham's defensive stats before and Fabianksi got injured at Bournemouth are incredible.

Before he did his shoulder in the second half at Bournemouth they'd conceded 8 goals in their first 7 games and 5 of those were on the opening day v Man. City.

Since that game they've conceded 15 goals in their last 7, 9 goals in their last 3.

They are in serious trouble and have Wolves and Chelsea away in their next two who are two of the most inform teams around.

Ironic thing here is they can't just appoint a Big Sam or Moyes to save them as they've already had both as managers in last five years!

Mind you the way the season has gone they've probably go to Chelsea and win 3-0.

5 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Yep,  but we gotta hope we actually beat the teams around us enough that it makes up for the fact that we don't win against the big clubs when other clubs around us do. Its not as if we've been beating all the teams around us, and its not like other teams around us haven't been doing so either. Points are points in the end so its not as if their wins on the big clubs are meaningless.

Against bottom half teams our record is:

P6 W3 D1 L2

PTS 10 GF 10 GA 5 GD +5

We'll do alright if we keep that up. We have another chance on Monday to extend that record.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Or make it worse tbf.

The record honestly should be an unbeaten one to be fair. The 2 losses are the Palace defeat where Kevin Friend cheated us out of a point and that Bournemouth match where we contrived to shoot ourselves in the foot.

Especially at VP, I'm not worried about the teams around us. We can beat any of them on our day as we've shown. Of course, this is contingent on Jack's health.