Hobbies

Chindie

Yeah the eternal problem of space. Not being tempted to squeeze just one more album in.

I’ve just recently relegated another tub full to the garage to make sure I’m not ruining the good stuff.

I think I’ve probably got around 400 / 500 right under the stereo. Any more than that begins to look a bit scruffy. Probably 100 / 150 in the same room but behind cupboard doors. Anything else is further away and more of a faff.

You should really be able to keep it to a fave 500.

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

What do I do after the Beach Boys stuff though? ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rjw63 said:

I think I need anothe kallax unit. But only have room for a two or four-cube.

So the wife had a clear up, I had CDs in one kallax cube so they are now in a box in the wardrobe. This freed up one whole kallax cube for me to move stuff around so the LPs are not rammed.

I now have a bit more room but I'll either need more cubes or stop buying albums.

Hmmm tough choice. Also we haven't got acres of space since downsizing but I think I'll manage.

Here's the state of play right now:

Left side of room: (one cube at the bottom with space, which is the wife's bit really)

spacer.png

And right side:

spacer.png

See that Beach Boys special limited edition boxset gatefold signed by the whole band? 

It's taking up enough space for some proper music mate ;) chuck it in the bin, problem solved :D

Genuinely tho, someone (possibly from here) recommended keeping your collection to the space you have readily available. The thought of buying vinyl and having to put some out of reach has never made any sense to me. I'd rather sell it than stick it up the loft. And I'm coming from the position of having sold more records than I currently own, a 4x4 Kallax and two (maybe three, can't remember) crates of very old jazz and big band that I need to process still. 

2 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

See that Beach Boys special limited edition boxset gatefold signed by the whole band? 

It's taking up enough space for some proper music mate ;) chuck it in the bin, problem solved :D

Genuinely tho, someone (possibly from here) recommended keeping your collection to the space you have readily available. The thought of buying vinyl and having to put some out of reach has never made any sense to me. I'd rather sell it than stick it up the loft. And I'm coming from the position of having sold more records than I currently own, a 4x4 Kallax and two (maybe three, can't remember) crates of very old jazz and big band that I need to process still. 

“See that Beach Boys special limited edition boxset gatefold signed by the whole band?”

Which lineup? 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, rjw63 said:

I think I need anothe kallax unit. But only have room for a two or four-cube.

So the wife had a clear up, I had CDs in one kallax cube so they are now in a box in the wardrobe. This freed up one whole kallax cube for me to move stuff around so the LPs are not rammed.

I now have a bit more room but I'll either need more cubes or stop buying albums.

Hmmm tough choice. Also we haven't got acres of space since downsizing but I think I'll manage.

Here's the state of play right now:

Left side of room: (one cube at the bottom with space, which is the wife's bit really)

spacer.png

You are potentially wasting a fair amount of space there for records by having individual units rather than one single larger unit. Is there any way you could free up another 20cms or so along that wall? this would allow you to fit a 4x4 unit in that space giving you room for another 200+ records in not much more space.

Your 3 individual 1x4 units work out at around 126cms wide thanks to the 4 additional (& unnecessary) thicker "end" sections.

A single 3x4 unit (same internal storage you already have) is only 112cms wide

A Signle 4x4 unit (room for additional 200 or so records) is only 21cms wider than your current set up at 147 cms so might be worth getting the tape measure out

Edited by LakotaDakota

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah the eternal problem of space. Not being tempted to squeeze just one more album in.

I’ve just recently relegated another tub full to the garage to make sure I’m not ruining the good stuff.

I think I’ve probably got around 400 / 500 right under the stereo. Any more than that begins to look a bit scruffy. Probably 100 / 150 in the same room but behind cupboard doors. Anything else is further away and more of a faff.

It's come to this (in addition to the living room shelves): 

Screenshot_2024-08-18-19-04-52-83_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Edited by mjmooney

15 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

You are potentially wasting a fair amount of space there for records by having individual units rather than one single larger unit. Is there any way you could free up another 20cms or so along that wall? this would allow you to fit a 4x4 unit in that space giving you room for another 200+ records in not much more space.

Your 3 individual 1x4 units work out at around 126cms wide thanks to the 4 additional (& unnecessary) thicker "end" sections.

A single 3x4 unit (same internal storage you already have) is only 112cms wide

A Signle 4x4 unit (room for additional 200 or so records) is only 21cms wider than your current set up at 147 cms so might be worth getting the tape measure out

Too late now, I’ll just have to buy less 😂

I’m thinking of getting rid of what I’ve got purely because I just don’t seem to have the time and also at the minute finances are a bit tight to expand my collection. Then there’s space . CDs is probably my best route to go back down. Can’t say I didn’t try but it’s not for everyone is it. I could save them for when I’m in a different position in life but we’ll see. 

30 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’m thinking of getting rid of what I’ve got purely because I just don’t seem to have the time and also at the minute finances are a bit tight to expand my collection. Then there’s space . CDs is probably my best route to go back down. Can’t say I didn’t try but it’s not for everyone is it. I could save them for when I’m in a different position in life but we’ll see. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

Absurdly talented. Just the painting on the door is incredible. At the start it looks wank and then suddenly it looks like it came right off the set. I hope to be able to do something like this some day.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â