Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

27 minutes ago, omariqy said:

FFP still restricts us though. With the stadium being sold we can spend £130m and finish 20th and pass FFP. 

I'm not sure thats accurate anymore. That figure was conservative in the first instance, did not include new commercial deals, or account for player contract adjustment clauses if the worst should happen. We also have a couple of years to react to it so can speculate now. They also put another 40m in since then.

Also, who knows what other financial loopholes and opportunities they have in mind? We won't be short of what we need on the pitch.

Edited by Mazrim
  • Like 3

Pretty sure we're going to get another forward in this transfer window. Also pretty sure he's going to be pretty damn decent, so very probably wont come cheap.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Surely the wage bill must also be considered when calculating our FFP spend? It’s not just about transfer fees. 

you would guess Richards, hutton, Whelan, jedinak were all among the better earners at the club too

our spending spree probably wont impact the wage bill as much as people think thanks to who we released (but promotion pay rise clauses might)

• Like 1

Aren’t transfer fees amortised over the life of a contract?

If they are wouldn’t it mean Mings on a 4 year deal would be an annual loss of £8m (£5m transfer fee + £60k week wages) as opposed to £23m loss in year 1 then just wages thereafter.

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Like 4

I also think the owners wouldve weighed up the consequences of another relegation vs breaking FFP.  It’s a no brainer.

i think we’ll be fine re FFP because I think we have the right people here who know what they are doing.

we definitely still need another top quality striker as while last night was just 1st preseason game, I see nothing in Davis or Hogan that they are Premiership level and who knows with Kodja who hasn’t been the same since his injury.  So we only have Wes who had a decent game but is very much unknown even if fit all season.  If he gets injured we have serious problems.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I also think the owners wouldve weighed up the consequences of another relegation vs breaking FFP.  It’s a no brainer.

i think we’ll be fine re FFP because I think we have the right people here who know what they are doing.

we definitely still need another top quality striker as while last night was just 1st preseason game, I see nothing in Davis or Hogan that they are Premiership level and who knows with Kodja who hasn’t been the same since his injury.  So we only have Wes who had a decent game but is very much unknown even if fit all season.  If he gets injured we have serious problems.

Kodjia has been tearing it up in the internationals this summer.

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

No way we are spending £35m on another striker. Our remaining budget after Luiz is probably going to be in the region of £30m to £40m to buy the 3 to 4 players we need.

How do we know that we won't though?

We can still shop smart with £30m - £40m if we Take on loans (clauses attached), or scatter the payments. We may also find four gems in the region of £10m or thereabouts to fill these positions.

I think we will build the team we need without the worry of £££ but while still remaining sensible about it.

In some regards it would be better to overspend in this window if it means we stay in the Premier League. Even if we break FFP.

We then have a 3 year cycle to sort our FFP out, a lot can happen in 3 years and we have signed a lot of young players who could be worth a lot of money over the next few seasons.

Relegation after spending £120 million would be a disaster. I think the board and owners are on this page, pay the money now to retain PL status going forwards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Gompedyret said:

Pretty sure we're going to get another forward in this transfer window. Also pretty sure he's going to be pretty damn decent, so very probably wont come cheap.

Would like to be Laeo, or someone unheard of that turns out to be the next Aguëro etc.

Judging on the reviews from last nights game (I've only seen highlights); it looks as though our current squad going into the season should be:

GK: Steer, Kalinic & Nyland

RB: Guilbert & Elmo

LB: Targett & Taylor

CB: Mings, Engels, Konsa, Chester & Hause

DM: Hourihane

CM: Grealish, McGinn & Lansbury

RW: Jota

LW: El Ghazi

ST: Wesley, Kodjia & Davis

For the remainder of the transfer window I would be wanting:

DM x 2 - Hourihane then pushes up to the fourth CM spot.

RW & LW - We are slightly short on firepower up top, ideally we should be looking at a player who can play on one wing or as striker if we are short on funds.

GK - Not a major problem right now, it could be put on hold until January. There is no point overpaying for Butland or Heaton when we have 3 potential goalkeepers on the books.

Sell: Bree, Bjarnasson, Tshibola, Hogan

Loan: O'Hare, Doyle-Hayes, Green, RHM & possibly Davis if we sign another ST

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

In some regards it would be better to overspend in this window if it means we stay in the Premier League. Even if we break FFP.

We then have a 3 year cycle to sort our FFP out, a lot can happen in 3 years and we have signed a lot of young players who could be worth a lot of money over the next few seasons.

Relegation after spending £120 million would be a disaster. I think the board and owners are on this page, pay the money now to retain PL status going forwards.

Cracking post and I totally agree.

Say for arguments sake we spend £150m in this window, those players could combine to be worth double or even treble this figure in 1 or 2 seasons time.

I.e John McGinn worth £70m of anyone's money. Jack £60m/£70m as it stands, Konsa could go on to be worth £40m/£50m?...   speculate to accumulate and all that. 

Feint heart never won fair lady. We will be going for it and back our judgement. Our style of play and player acquisition will be aggressive... B.e agreesive.

B.e agg.ressive.

For all you Faith No More fans.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

We're still really short. As things stand, I don't think we'll score enough goals to stay up..

We definitely need strengthening in attack. We've improved the defence considerably and with Luiz hopefully imminent I think defensively we should be ok. But in attack, even if Wesley settles I can't see him getting more than 10-12 (going on his previous seasons), Grealish and McGinn didn't get that many even in the Championship but might score more if Wesley creates more than Abraham did, El Ghazi will get a few and Jota might, and possibly Hourihane and Kodjia will get a few, but that's about it. 

Apart from a GK, who we can probably bring in on the final day of the window if needs be, we need to be getting in some attacking quality. Leao would be an absolute belter of a signing, even though he's only 20 I reckon he could score 10-15 goals if we signed him, but unfortunately looks like we have some serious competition. Trezeguet would be decent, reckon he'd score a few, as would someone like Benrahma. We need a player like Sigurdsson who can create chances as well as score them.

I'm hoping a couple of quality attacking additions aren't far off so we can bed them in before Spurs.

• Like 1

The ever reliable All Africa .com

Reports from Birmingham say Nakamba flew into England's second biggest city yesterday for a medical and is now on the verge of completing his dream move after Villa agreed to match the asking transfer fee that was being demanded by Belgian side Club Brugge.

Villa will splash €12 million (about US$13.45 million) for Nakamba's services and the Zimbabwe international, should he pass his medical, will then fly to the United States to join his new teammates on their pre-season tour.

13 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

FWIW I have never heard of Carlos Soler, but his Wikipedia page currently has his birthplace as “Aston Villa”. 

Welcome home son.

Edit - now someone has changed it to “Valencia, Spain” so I don’t know what to think anymore.

I think that wiki can sometimes not prove to be the most reliable sauce. 😉

If we are only playing one up front and are set to land another senior striker costing big money - we are going to have at least one big money striker on the bench.

IMO Wesley is a starter at this moment in time - the back ups are Kjodia, Davis, Hogan, RHM - Given that Wesley hasn't been prolific in his career so far - are we going to bring in another £20m+ striker ? 

I kinda hope so - but I won't be entirely surprised if we don't.

DS throughout his career though - his sides rarely struggle for goals - don't think from open play Tammy scored in his last 5 or 6 last season - yet we got the required goals