Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Love this site as it really brings up different opinions.  I never thought Delfouneso was ever going to make it and I watched him a lot in the non-first team games.

Bannon was another I had no time for either and if I’m correct you were a big fan of his.  It’s all about opinions but really is interesting to try and see what others see in players.  

I used to love Savo but I knew how split the Villa base were on him but one of my fondest memories supporting the Villa was his goal at Wembley.

I quite liked Bannon. I thought he was a little one-dimensional, but thought he could do a job as part of a system.

I grew up with Savo, and even though looking back he was a bit pants, I loved him to bits. Talking with my Dad before each game we’d always say ‘today’s the day’ ‘he’s gonna get a hatful today’ and ‘he’ll kick on now he’s scored a lucky shinner from 3 yards’. We were always wrong. Except twice (you’ll remember when). In fairness, I reckon his hold up play was pretty decent, and Yorke was a great foil. 

Delfouneso, i’m afraid I never had much time for. Never really seemed to excel in any area when I saw him. Wasn’t rubbish, just a bit meh really. Although I never saw him all that much in real life, cos I couldn’t get to games much during his time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

How come Ethan Moore didn't reach hero status for you @sir_gary_cahill. Did you just see Delfouneso's fulfill more of his potential?

I’ll be honest, I never saw Ethan Moore, I think it was AndyClarke that told me about him. Delfouneso never really fulfilled his potential, I still don’t think he has, in terms of natural ability, Delfouneso was brilliant, did you see either of them?

8 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

he speaks in third person and says there are other 'more outstanding clubs' than Aston Villa. it's a no from me.

I took that to mean that he thought that we were one of the 'more outstanding clubs' tbh. 

HKP90 likes a bit of third person.

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

he speaks in third person and says there are other 'more outstanding clubs' than Aston Villa. it's a no from me.

That literally means that there are more outstanding clubs after him, including Aston Villa, so not putting us down at all and that makes him sound interested in us, which would be a good thing as he looks a real talent. 

Get him in 😂

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/07/01/do-report-aston-villa-want-25m-lille-forward-rafael-leaol/

Aston Villa are reportedly interested in bringing Portugal’s answer to Kylian Mbappe to the Premier League with SuperDeporte claiming that Lillewonder-kid Rafael Leao is on the radar of the Midland side.

Just one year ago, the little-known forward moved to France after cancelling his contract at Sporting Lisbon following a series of off-the-pitch issues at the Estadio Jose Alvalade.

This jet-heeled 20-year-old is rapidly emerging as one of the most exciting young forwards in European football, earning comparisons with PSG and France superstar Mbappe (BBC).

Former Sporting coach Tiago Fernandes even told L’Equipe that Leao is the best player ever to emerge from the club’s famous academy, claiming that the winger’s potential exceeds that of a certain Cristiano Ronaldo.

Aston Villa would have to shatter a transfer record they set just last month when they landed Wesley Moraes from Genk. But a forward who is apparently better than Ronaldo at the same age? That could be £25 million well spent.

Wesley, Leao, RHM & Davis is one hell of a pacy untried front four 🤔😬 but **** it.. 

5 hours ago, Okonokos said:

I could honestly name over 100 players who are better options if I had the time.

Not 100, but a start:

- Raul de Tomas, Real Madrid (Spent the past two years on loan at Rayo Vallecano, looks certain to move on to Benfica)

- Florian Aye, Clermont Foot (Lots of interest from Premier League clubs but looks like newly-promoted Brescia have made the first move)

- Tino Kadewere, Le Havre (A guy I really like, Le Havre’s record signing from Djurgardens in Sweden last summer [only 2.5M though], struck out on his own at a young age from Zimbabwe, fluent English, when he returned from injury really lit up Ligue 2, was PoM twice, just turned 23)

- Youssef En-Nesyri, Leganes (Long-legged and silky, hard-presser, left-footed, high work rate. Only 21, Arsenal allegedly interested)

- Enes Unal, Villareal (Been on loan at Valladolid and set to rejoin, once on the books at Man City, needs to add goals to his game but works hard defensively, was too often left alone up front)

- David Okereke, Spezia (Plenty of Premier League interest, said to be Southampton’s plan B after Che Adams, had 10 goals and 12 assists in Serie B last year, only 21)

- Takumi Minamino, Red Bull Salzburg (Almost certainly bound for the German league, silky skills, fluid, great passer, runs twice as hard and far as anyone else on the pitch, even as a forward. Good sort of character for the club).

- Thierry Ambrose, Man City (Been going out on loan since 2017 - last season at Lens - but was once one of their most highly touted prospects, until he tore his ACL. Metz is about to buy him for 3M, we should beat them to it. This one will be Jeff Reine-Adelaide 2.0)

I think we might have missed a trick on Andrea Pinamonti as well, who Genoa signed on loan with an agreement to buy for 18M from Inter. He’s going to be worth 4-5 times that in 2 years.

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why didn’t you think Delfouneso was going to make it based on non-first team matches?

Bannan was very good in the youth team, not so in the first team, sometimes players don’t quite translate their youth team form in to the first team. He’s doing great for Sheffield Wednesday now though

Milosevic was very erratic but when he was good, he was very good

Re Delfouneso, I just never seen anything that suggested to me that he would make any real impression to the first XI. He was a good young player and if I remember correctly he won young player of year award but I always felt that he was always destined to be sold to a championship/league one team.  I think how you explained Bannan is how I felt about Delfouneso.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Leao ain’t happening mate.  Very odd random link. 

Could happen on a Wednesday, anything can happen on Wednesdays....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Delfouneso - he never had any physical attributes, he wasn't actually that quick ( I thought he was quite slow), he didn't really show any intelligence, rarely get into positions to score,  and he never really worked hard or put himself about or held the ball.

I never watched the youth team back then so I am still not sure what kind of player he was meant to be? A nothing player in my eyes, one of those guys who you have to remind yourself he is actually on the pitch.

So naturally O'Neill gave him £20k a week.

Bannan you could see had talent, if he came through at the right time in the right team I think it could have been different for him.

The random links are often the ones that turn out to have some truth to them. I've been wanting us to sign Leoa for a while now, but didn't think it would be a possibility because of Lille being in the champions league.