Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Delfouneso was my hero when I was growing up, he was amazing, he scored 9 for Blackpool last season and had his best season. Bowery didn’t play for us much but when he did, he looked more than decent, was it against Stoke I think? He ran them ragged, he was a punt and he didn’t quite work out

Delfouneso?!

Have you been trolling us this entire time cos seriously, if you have - that's impeccable dedication and I am impressed.

I mean I liked Delfouneso too when we all thought he was going to be good.......hero though? Hell no, this was a period in which we had a flying Ashley Young, John Carew, Barry, Milner - take your pick for a hero.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

With due respect to all involved I think that if we go into a Premier League season expecting RHM to score the goals that keep us up, we’ll be playing Brentford (with their new starting 11) the following year. 

Because Brentford are winning the Championship this season, right?!

5 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

A lot of people are talking about suggested spending limits for this transfer window (£100m or £150m or whatever).

I think that's too simplistic. Spending £100m on 23-year-olds with lots of potential to improve is different from throwing cash at established talent. It's an investment.

We only need one or two of those players to become targets for Champions League clubs, and we've more than justified the original spend.

What we were doing before was signing older players on the cheap and young players on loans. It makes your overall transfer spend look much lower, but that's money you'll never see again - the older players can't be sold on, and any improvement in the young players is a gift to the parent club.

So once you take age into account, I think most of our transfer fees sound very sensible.

Agreed. I couldn’t be happier with the business we’ve done so far, it’s just that I’m impatient, and wish we’d done more. To be fair, that’s probably why we’ve done good business. If I was in charge we’d have probably bought the Brentford and Bristol City squads for half a billion. 

I’m an idiot, but DS/the board are clearly not. Bring on the next few weeks!

1 minute ago, 8pints said:

Unfortunately, at this point, it seems like he's on Everton's line.

Image result for rafael leao

He is very much facing the Everton badge there, but can we be sure that beyond that badge, there isn’t another one which he is looking over the Everton shoulder at?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

A lot of people are talking about suggested spending limits for this transfer window (£100m or £150m or whatever).

Maybe we have a plan,  if I was the Villa I would:-

- Get all the big money stuff done year 1 (As early as possible,  which in fairness,  we are having a go),  build the team with the viewpoint of not having to dip into it again (much) for the next few windows.  Benefits  are (if you get it right),  less in's / out that could unsettle the squad, style of play is fixed.  The squad grows together. etc..

- The above will in some part ensure we are a little protected from the inflation of prices.  They are amazingly high,  if you get the right assets (players) all in one go then their prices rise with everyone else's.  Imagine the prices next year with Brexit or some other Geo problem.  This time next year we could be quotingg Levy at spurrzzz 100 M + FOR A VILLA PLAYER 😃

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Delfouneso?!

Have you been trolling us this entire time cos seriously, if you have - that's impeccable dedication and I am impressed.

I mean I liked Delfouneso too when we all thought he was going to be good.......hero though? Hell no, this was a period in which we had a flying Ashley Young, John Carew, Barry, Milner - take your pick for a hero.

Remember my famous comment that he’d be better than Drogba? I was only a kid back then, Delfouneso really was brilliant, I still remember when he scored against MSK Zilina and then he scored away at Hamburg, I thought we had a proper player back then, some take to it, others don’t. We’ve obviously got Jack now and Rushian Hepburn-Murphy, I’m still hopeful that he can make it here, although others don’t :(, Hepburn-Murphy is very different to Delfouneso I think, he’s more of natural finisher (RHM). I still think he can make it here, make or break season for him though as he’s out of contract at the end of the season 

32 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Any player that talks about himself in the third person is good in my books!

Let's get this kooky character signed up! I bet his jumpers are a sight to behold

16 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Remember my famous comment that he’d be better than Drogba? I was only a kid back then, Delfouneso really was brilliant, I still remember when he scored against MSK Zilina and then he scored away at Hamburg, I thought we had a proper player back then, some take to it, others don’t. We’ve obviously got Jack now and Rushian Hepburn-Murphy, I’m still hopeful that he can make it here, although others don’t :(, Hepburn-Murphy is very different to Delfouneso I think, he’s more of natural finisher (RHM). I still think he can make it here, make or break season for him though as he’s out of contract at the end of the season 

Love this site as it really brings up different opinions.  I never thought Delfouneso was ever going to make it and I watched him a lot in the non-first team games.

Bannon was another I had no time for either and if I’m correct you were a big fan of his.  It’s all about opinions but really is interesting to try and see what others see in players.  

I used to love Savo but I knew how split the Villa base were on him but one of my fondest memories supporting the Villa was his goal at Wembley.

Just now, nick76 said:

Love this site as it really brings up different opinions.  I never thought Delfouneso was ever going to make it and I watched him a lot in the non-first team games.

Bannon was another I had no time for either and if I’m correct you were a big fan of his.  It’s all about opinions but really is interesting to try and see what others see in players.  

I used to love Savo but I knew how split the Villa base were on him but one of my fondest memories supporting the Villa was his goal at Wembley.

Why didn’t you think Delfouneso was going to make it based on non-first team matches?

Bannan was very good in the youth team, not so in the first team, sometimes players don’t quite translate their youth team form in to the first team. He’s doing great for Sheffield Wednesday now though

Milosevic was very erratic but when he was good, he was very good