Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

8 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

He may well be good enough to be a PL player but for £20-30m, I would want a proven outstanding defender from one of Europe's top leagues. Not only has Webster never played in the PL, he has never played for England at U20/U21 level, not to mention the seniors. If he was available for £5m it'd be worth a punt, but the prices quoted would be crazy imo.

I reckon you’d be looking at a starting price of 40 million for one of them these days. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Just think it's a risk if he's going to be our regular striker, Benteke was unbelievable pick up but many strikers have come from Belgium and Holland to premier league and really struggled.

He's only young aswell so very much still in development stage of his career.

Everton spent 27m on Cenk Tosun and he was mostly a sub for them last season. Leicester signed Iheanacho for 25m so plenty of clubs spend that in premier league and have them as back ups.

It’s always a risk signing any player from a foreign league, he might not adapt to the surroundings. Arsene Wenger used to say it takes any foreign import 6 months to adapt to the Premier League. He might hit the ground running, he might flop completely. He looks great on YouTube but that’s all I have to go on, have you seen him play VillaChris or anyone else for that matter? I haven’t seen him play so can’t comment 

25 minutes ago, KMitch said:

image.png.33c2634369009cbd8590e48b6f035098.png

If all the "Deals" rumored to be completed soon are to be believed, this is a lineup capable of staying up, at the least.  Everyone in this team is good with the ball at their feet and works hard for the team.  Get another talented winger, everyone stays healthy, and Smith adapts his style to the Premier League and I think we'll surprise a lot of people with the results we can get this season.  

What about Jota? I expect him to start for us and make an impact, I think he’ll prosper 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Who's going to be his back up if he gets an injury? You've already said you're not sure on Kodjia anymore (probably first time I've seen you put anything negative about any Villa player ;)) and the other options are Davis and Hogan.

We need another top quality striker option in the squad.

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

What about Jota? I expect him to start for us and make an impact, I think he’ll prosper 

IDK...  I think he's too one footed to be a consistent starter in the Premier League.  I also expect us to spend 20+ Million on another winger before the window shuts, so I'm keeping Jota out of the staring 11 for now...

3 minutes ago, KMitch said:

IDK...  I think he's too one footed to be a consistent starter in the Premier League.  I also expect us to spend 20+ Million on another winger before the window shuts, so I'm keeping Jota out of the staring 11 for now...

Yeah i agree, I tend to think jota will be competition for the left and right wing, as well as possible cover for the Grealish role, depending on who else is available to play etc.

Jota can pretty much play across the entire AM line tbh

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Who's going to be his back up if he gets an injury? You've already said you're not sure on Kodjia anymore (probably first time I've seen you put anything negative about any Villa player ;)) and the other options are Davis and Hogan.

We need another top quality striker option in the squad.

Don’t forget about Rushian Hepburn-Murphy too, he could have an impact this season but yes, I think we need another striker too, let’s think how about Callum Wilson from Bournemouth?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think Jota will surprise people with how good he is, but I'm expecting us to spend big on another winger who will start for us on the right hand side. Also think we'll go for another centre-forward as well.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, useless said:

I think Jota will surprise people with how good he is, but I'm expecting us to spend big on another winger who will start for us on the right hand side. Also think we'll go for another centre-forward as well.

Oh, trust me, I think he's a great little player to have in rotation/from the bench.  He'll score some critical goals for us this season, but I also still expect us to spend big on another winger.  

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I reckon you’d be looking at a starting price of 40 million for one of them these days. 

What about guys on free transfers or available for season long loans? Matip started CL final recently and he signed for Liverpool on a free. Spurs signed Toby Alderweireld for 11.4m a few years back, has 25m release clause in his contract when Man. United get linked to him every summer. Willy Boly cost Wolves 10m last summer. These are starting CBs in the top 7.

Seems Martin O'Neill has about 20 different accounts on here. If you look beyond these shores there are many solid CBs who will be in 15-20m range.

Maripan has had a really good Copa america for Chile. He plays for Alaves and next to no chance they'd be demanding over 30m for him. West Ham having a look:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9236704/west-ham-15m-bid-alaves-defender-guillermo-maripan-manuel-pellegrini-eyes-six-summer-transfers/

WEST HAM are considering an improved offer for Alaves defender Guillermo Maripan after an opening £13.5milion bid was rejected.

Manuel Pellegrini is keen to sign his fellow Chilean as part of a major shake-up of his Hammers squad this summer.

Maripan has two years of his contract remaining and his buy-out clause is £22million.

Alaves are holding out for the full release payment but West Ham are still hoping to strike a deal at around £15million.

Pretty much same price or maybe even less than what Bristol want for Webster. 13 caps for Chile and played nearly 50 times in La Liga last two seasons.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He was spraying them with both feet too.   If he can defend as well maybe this lad is the real deal.

I genuinly don't get why people suddenly are wanking over a video of a CB passing the ball. You actually need to defend as a defender. £ 20 million for Webster would be horrific. Genuinly wonder what our scouting department is doing. 

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ok so off the top of my head, Ozan Kabak was fantastic in the Bundesliga last season, and moved today for £13m, Armando Izzo is one of Serie A's top defenders, and is available for about £20m, Djene Dakounam is outstanding and valued at £30m, Felipe (best defender in Portugal) has just moved for £18m, Fiorentina and Argentina defender German Pezzella has been touted for £16m. Juve have snapped up 3 top young defenders, and so Italy international Daniele Rugani is said to be available for £20m. This shows what proven top-league defenders are available for, and that £20-30m for Webster would be us having our collective pants pulled down (imo).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I genuinly don't get why people suddenly are wanking over a video of a CB passing the ball. You actually need to defend as a defender. £ 20 million for Webster would be horrific. Genuinly wonder what our scouting department is doing. 

I haven’t wanked over it yet but I might be forced to if these new laws come into place. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Have you seen much of him other than that video? He looks amazing on the video but that’s all I have to go on

42 minutes ago, KMitch said:

image.png.33c2634369009cbd8590e48b6f035098.png

If all the "Deals" rumored to be completed soon are to be believed, this is a lineup capable of staying up, at the least.  Everyone in this team is good with the ball at their feet and works hard for the team.  Get another talented winger, everyone stays healthy, and Smith adapts his style to the Premier League and I think we'll surprise a lot of people with the results we can get this season.  

I like the look of that. Compare that with the squad we went down with. We were so unbelievably mismanaged haha. 

Need a pacey right winger.

Edited by PieFacE

1 minute ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Ok so off the top of my head, Ozan Kabak was fantastic in the Bundesliga last season, and moved today for £13m, Armando Izzo is one of Serie A's top defenders, and is available for about £20m, Djene Dakounam is outstanding and valued at £30m, Felipe (best defender in Portugal) has just moved for £18m, Fiorentina and Argentina defender German Pezzella has been touted for £16m. Juve have snapped up 3 top young defenders, and so Italy international Daniele Rugani is said to be available for £20m. This shows what proven top-league defenders are available for, and that £20-30m for Webster would be us having our collective pants pulled down (imo).

Exactly. The net should be cast far wider than the championship, there's better out players out there, the league shouldn't be totally discounted but if the bulk of our transfers were to come from the Championship we'll be in trouble.

• Like 2

Just checked what Bayern Munich paid for Pavard, 31m. Can play CB or RB and world cup winner.

Would say though with the TV deal most foreign clubs do put prices up by 10m when premier league clubs seriously show interest while fees are much lower in domestic transfer for mid level players.

8 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Don’t forget about Rushian Hepburn-Murphy too, he could have an impact this season but yes, I think we need another striker too, let’s think how about Callum Wilson from Bournemouth?

RHM wont be anywhere near the first team tbh, and if he is we need to worry big time.....

He needs to go out on loan to get some game time (and not get himself injured again).