Racism Part two

Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

"A black female soldier who fronted British Army recruitment campaigns has spoken for the first time about how years of racist abuse and bullying made her life whilst serving “a living hell”.
Kerry-Ann Knight, 33, took her case to an employment tribunal and accepted a substantial settlement from the Ministry of Defence (MoD) last month.
She says when her complaints weren’t taken seriously she began secretly recording conversations - including one where laughter could be heard after a white male soldier said “just [expletive] tar and feather her, it’s what they used to do in the old days”.
The hostility began with what some in the Army might wish to dismiss as “banter”.

“I wanted more individuals of colour to join, because I just thought, the Army cannot continue like this - it really can’t”, she says.
She knew women and ethnic minorities were under-represented groups and says she was selected to front campaigns because of this. Women make up 11.7% of the UK's armed forces and ethnic minorities 11.2%.
But, when the 2019 campaign went public, there was a backlash, which was was reported at the time, external.
British soldiers accused her online of “playing the race card” and of being just “a tick in the diversity box”.

(Link:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c84jzex9vk8o)

Thoroughly depressing article with many depressingly often used tropes, including on this forum.

What a shocking and sad state of affairs. Will no doubt carry on though unfortunately. 

37 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

I want to be friends with this man

@Dodgyknees thanks for sharing this. If any of us are half the man that guy is we have done well and if all of us were more like him we'd be living in a much better world. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

"A black female soldier who fronted British Army recruitment campaigns has spoken for the first time about how years of racist abuse and bullying made her life whilst serving “a living hell”.
Kerry-Ann Knight, 33, took her case to an employment tribunal and accepted a substantial settlement from the Ministry of Defence (MoD) last month.
She says when her complaints weren’t taken seriously she began secretly recording conversations - including one where laughter could be heard after a white male soldier said “just [expletive] tar and feather her, it’s what they used to do in the old days”.
The hostility began with what some in the Army might wish to dismiss as “banter”.

“I wanted more individuals of colour to join, because I just thought, the Army cannot continue like this - it really can’t”, she says.
She knew women and ethnic minorities were under-represented groups and says she was selected to front campaigns because of this. Women make up 11.7% of the UK's armed forces and ethnic minorities 11.2%.
But, when the 2019 campaign went public, there was a backlash, which was was reported at the time, external.
British soldiers accused her online of “playing the race card” and of being just “a tick in the diversity box”.

(Link:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c84jzex9vk8o)

Thoroughly depressing article with many depressingly often used tropes, including on this forum.

One of the disturbing things with that article for me was some of the stuff which you'd assume would be grounds for instant dismissal, like the below;

During one of her first postings, to Germany, she was told to avoid a certain corridor because soldiers were openly displaying swastikas, Confederate flags and other symbols associated with the far right

I mean just at it's core the swastikas is supporting a cause which the British Army would proudly boast that it defeated for the common good, and in Germany of all places. And I may be wrong, but I get the gut feeling that displaying a USSR flag wouldn't last very long

15 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think this is how it it in the majority of big cities. Not singling you out @Rugeley Villa but people that live in predominantly White areas could feel there could be a race war soon. Anybody of a minority in any area will feel the country is very racist. Those in the very diverse communities all get on with each other just fine. 

edit: ok there has and still are a lot of issues with minorities against minorities in these areas but nothing that suggests 'race wars' anytime soon.

You’re possibly right . People in cities are more diverse.  As for those clearings in the woods in Sunderland @markavfc40 they are scum . Well done to the people of Liverpool 

• Like 2

The far right nut jobs don't really have the numbers do they and that is being shown now when they are rocking up and being massively out numbered by anti fascists. People that have concerns about immigration, which it is fine to have those concerns, the vast majority of those aren't going to want to associate themselves with the far right publicly and even the closet racists/racist but won't acknowledge it even though openly pro Reform and Tiny Tommy don't want to be taking to the streets alongside coked up nut jobs getting into conflict with the police. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, bickster said:

Squealed like a bitch after giving the police the big un 🤣

Honestly....these clearings in the wood....they either have a general beef with the law, have previous convictions or are brainless fools who think it's a laugh to do copycat protests (ask them what they're protesting about....yeah, exactly !)....or they're sheep who are influenced by snakes like yaxley-lennon, farage or their ilk.

It is quite depressing to watch, even allowing for the brick in the head/spuds scenes.

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 2

Tommy Robinson's boys finally turned up, imagine being late to your own march. The thugs are probably outnumbered 2 to 1 but I don't see it not boiling over with this many people here

• Sad 1

Not sure I'm too keen to celebrate Starmer giving more authoritarian powers to police to deal with small scale rooting, something the police have dealt with in this country for decades without needing more power.

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Not sure I'm too keen to celebrate Starmer giving more authoritarian powers to police to deal with small scale rooting, something the police have dealt with in this country for decades without needing more power.

They don’t need more power, they can do it within the current framework.

Need more Police but that has been the case for a long time

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

They don’t need more power, they can do it within the current framework.

Need more Police but that has been the case for a long time

Indeed. But Starmer seems keen to roll out greater powers to use things like facial recognition to combat it, when he absolutely doesn't need to. And we all know those powers get pushed and never get rolled back.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Indeed. But Starmer seems keen to roll out greater powers to use things like facial recognition to combat it, when he absolutely doesn't need to. And we all know those powers get pushed and never get rolled back.

You won’t find me disagreeing with that

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â