Racism Part two

Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Not a problem, bud. Just engaging in debate. Hopefully I didn't come across as preachy. I don't mean to be. The whole thing just pisses me off. 

I hope you are right, but unfortunately I think there are always folk who, as a majority, will want to shit on a minority, whether it be down to race, or other characteristics. (some) People=shit. 

And you are right about the kids. There is no bigotry in them. My kids have never even mentioned race or disability once, and we were dreading having to have 'the talk'. 

Edit- I didn't think you were sneering anyway, I just took it that you were pointing out that some do. 

I did find it a tad problematic with my sons who are both teenagers who became keen on South Park and Family Guy all of sudden (like all of their friends) and started, quite innocently quoting some stuff from the shows in general company, the worst was with regard to Jewish people but pretty bad across all spectrums 

We had to have 'the talk' and I think they can draw the line now on what is shock comedy and real life, worth keeping a eye out as they get older as they are very easily led at that age by social stuff 

Edited by Follyfoot

4 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I did find it a tad problematic with my sons who are both teenagers who became keen on South Park and Family Guy all of sudden (like all of their friends) and started, quite innocently quoting some stuff from the shows in general company, the worst was with regard to Jewish people but pretty bad across all spectrums 

We had to have 'the talk' and I think they can draw the line now on what is shock comedy and real life, worth keeping a eye out as they get older as they are very easily led at that age by social stuff 

The thing about comedy is that it tells us where the boundaries are, and does it in a way that is (when done well) benign. Most of the comics themselves don't have the same views they express on stage, they are mostly just exaggerating to push the limits. 

I love South Park. Those guys take the p*** out of everyone and let the chips fall. 

I went to watch Team America when it came out with a guy who I used to know who is pretty bigoted (we're not friends now, he turned out to be a hardcore right wing conspiracy nut), and we both came out of the same show with totally different ideas about what we'd seen. I saw a proper p***take of America causing havok around the world. He saw right wing propaganda. 

Unfortunately kids would likely miss the tongue-in-cheek part of it (much like my former friend did). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I know , we've met remember :P 

but I agree with your post , I was looking at it in far too simplistic terms  in regards to the why 

…you said I was special.

Clearly you meant the other special.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I went to watch Team America when it came out with a guy who I used to know who is pretty bigoted (we're not friends now, he turned out to be a hardcore right wing conspiracy nut), and we both came out of the same show with totally different ideas about what we'd seen. I saw a proper p***take of America causing havok around the world. He saw right wing propaganda. 

Unfortunately kids would likely miss the tongue-in-cheek part of it (much like my former friend did). 

Like the US Marines that were playing and singing along to 'America, **** Yeah' thinking it was a patriotic ditty.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Booing an anti racism gesture makes you a racist. Whether you like to admit it or not

when the kneeling first started, there MAY have been an argument against this

however the players, coaches etc have said time and time and time again that this is solely an anti racism gesture.

so if you say you're booing because you feel politics and football shouldn't mix, or because you feel undervalued and impoverished then i frankly call BS on that. the numerous players who have given their reasons for taking the knee have rendered these reasons obsolete.

so it really is just that simple, booing the knee is a racist act

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

And people thinking 'Born in the USA' by Springsteen is patriotic. 

I had a discussion with a friend regarding Springsteen and the usual argument came up that he was essentially Toby Keith for middle aged british men and sings about USA!!! USA!!! I said have you ever listened to the words of Born in the USA and he said he hadnt as it was basically chest thumping patriotism. He then read the lyrics and found a different reason not to like Springsteen.

39 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

The thing about comedy is that it tells us where the boundaries are, and does it in a way that is (when done well) benign. Most of the comics themselves don't have the same views they express on stage, they are mostly just exaggerating to push the limits. 

I love South Park. Those guys take the p*** out of everyone and let the chips fall. 

Reminds me of an old flat mate who watched Four Lions and thought it was the funnest thing he’d ever seen. When I said it was heartbreaking and touching as well, he was completely nonplussed. It was just a comedy to him and he spent months reciting the most offensive lines from it while laughing uncontrollably. 
Then again, he was the guy whose assessment of Downfall was “Boring. You could tell how it was going to end by halfway through”. 
I guess some people are beyond seeing nuance. 

15 minutes ago, choffer said:

Reminds me of an old flat mate who watched Four Lions and thought it was the funnest thing he’d ever seen. When I said it was heartbreaking and touching as well, he was completely nonplussed. It was just a comedy to him and he spent months reciting the most offensive lines from it while laughing uncontrollably. 
Then again, he was the guy whose assessment of Downfall was “Boring. You could tell how it was going to end by halfway through”. 
I guess some people are beyond seeing nuance. 

This just made me laugh like a drain. 

Newsflash!

Dumb And Dumber No Way GIF - Dumb And Dumber No Way We Landed On The Moon GIFs

Edited by HKP90

52 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

And people thinking 'Born in the USA' by Springsteen is patriotic. 

I often wondered why radio stations didn't blank out the "yellow man" words in that song.

If I was vietnamese I'd be well offended to be referred to as such.

16 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

I often wondered why radio stations didn't blank out the "yellow man" words in that song.

If I was vietnamese I'd be well offended to be referred to as such.

My opinion is that Springsteen is the narrator, picking the words of a Vietnam returnee and using the language that they might use. It was recorded only 7 years after the end of the war and so attitudes, views and also the anger was still a little fresh then. 

Spice up your life by Spice Girls, maybe not so much.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My opinion is that Springsteen is the narrator, picking the words of a Vietnam returnee and using the language that they might use. It was recorded only 7 years after the end of the war and so attitudes, views and also the anger was still a little fresh then. 

Spice up your life by Spice Girls, maybe not so much.

We all know what zig-a-zig-ah means. (i know that was a different song, don't step on my nostalgic fancying the pants off Emma Bunton)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, tomav84 said:

so if you say you're booing because you feel politics and football shouldn't mix, or because you feel undervalued and impoverished then i frankly call BS on that.

To be honest this was always just the go to line for racists to hide their racism anyway. None of them actually cared about politics and football mixing

• Like 1

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Something tells me those who booed because football and politics shouldn't mix also get upset when fifa don't let England put a poppy on their shirts

They're also angry when James McClean doesn't want to wear a poppy

• Like 1

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Something tells me those who booed because football and politics shouldn't mix also get upset when fifa don't let England put a poppy on their shirts

oh it's funny when you point that out to them...it really gets them frothing at the mouth

24 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

oh it's funny when you point that out to them...it really gets them frothing at the mouth

Probably because its wrong, an I cannot believe people think having  BLM, LGBT+XYZ etc, rammed down your throat nearly every living day, is the same thing as paying your respect to our fallen heros once a year. Although to be honest, from what I've heard on here before with people hating on our special forces, they probably don't see our military sacrificing there lives for ours as something that really worth remembering. 

Edited by foreveryoung

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Although to be honest, from what I've heard on here before with people hating on our special forces, they probably don't see our military sacrificing there lives for ours as something that really worth remembering. 

Could you post any evidence at all of this please? Either do that or retract a completely unsubstantiated claim about people that post on VT. BTW if you can't substantiate this, it is most definitely posting for effect

26 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Probably because its wrong, an I cannot believe people think having  BLM, LGBT+XYZ etc, rammed down your throat nearly every living day, is the same thing as paying your respect to our fallen heros once a year. Although to be honest, from what I've heard on here before with people hating on our special forces, they probably don't see our military sacrificing there lives for ours as something that really worth remembering. 

How is shoved down people's throats every day?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â