Racism Part two

Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They removed it to either take out that segment or add a warning. I can’t remember which.

Either way whether or not it should be aired is completely beside the point that was being made. I’d laugh that joke off as being of the time whilst acknowledging that you wouldn’t be able to tell that now. So I don’t particularly care if it’s aired or not. 

My point was a poster out that joke forward as one that we should all just “relax” about and “have a laugh”. It’s a terrible example. 

If you’re mate told you that joke down the pub now then it wouldn’t be funny. 

ah ok , i thought you'd written in response to MJ that  it's not a joke we should just accept because it's a bit of a laugh

I was loosely suggesting that we should accept it, in certain environments   , as long as we know why we are laughing and what we are laughing at 

but we are in agreement about it having no place in the real world 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

I didnt post it as an example of a joke.The point I was trying to make,is.Life is too short to worry about stuff like that,try relaxing and taking things easy,not try to find holes in everything.

richarleson had a banana thrown at him a few days ago

maybe you should just tell him life's too short to worry about stuff like that and he should just relax and try and take it easy

seriously mate, are you on a wind up??

• Like 2

20 hours ago, tomav84 said:

richarleson had a banana thrown at him a few days ago

maybe you should just tell him life's too short to worry about stuff like that and he should just relax and try and take it easy

seriously mate, are you on a wind up??

If I was playing and an opposition supporter threw a banana at me,I would take that to mean 2 things.

1-He is getting at me cause im black

2 - Im getting to him ( more than he is getting to me ) cause he went to all the trouble of getting a banana and bringing it to the game. 

21 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I honestly don’t know what point you’re trying to make now. 

The point im trying to make is this.

Lets take the phrase "go to hell" If a drunk person says that,Ill ignore it

If a friend says that,I take it to me that he disagrees with me

If a person that I know does not like me,says that.I punch his lights out.

Its all a matter of perspective.

As for the Fawlty towers episode.At the time I had a good laugh,I find it sad that now its deadly serious and the episode had to be cut.The world is a sad place if you cant have a laugh.Before you say its not a laughing matter.I dont hear the Irish complaining about Irish jokes,I dont hear disabled people complaining about disabled people jokes ( one was on Vt not too long ago ) I dont hear blonds complaining about dumb blond jokes.

In other words,people make jokes about all subjects,its for a laugh,nothing else.

Heres a joke.Lets see if "everybody" on VT takes offence.

Birmingham police find an 8 year old boy wandering the streets at night.They take him to the station and the seargent says,right we are going to take you home to your mum.

Boy says,he does not want to go to his mum because she beats him

Seargrnt says,ok then we will take to your dads place

Boy says,he dosent want to go to his dads place because his dad beats him

The seargent says.Ok guys take hime to Villa park,because they cant beat anybody. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I dont hear the Irish complaining about Irish jokes,I dont hear disabled people complaining about disabled people jokes ( one was on Vt not too long ago ) I dont hear blonds complaining about dumb blond jokes.

When's the hearing aid due a check up? :) 

Just now, Davkaus said:

When's the hearing aid due a check up? :) 

I just find it really sad that you could laugh at an episode of Fawlty towers "on free to air TV"a few years ago and now you cant.

Just now, PussEKatt said:

I just find it really sad that you could laugh at an episode of Fawlty towers "on free to air TV"a few years ago and now you cant.

I'm in two minds about that tbh. I do feel similarly about several shows that had episodes pre-emptively cancelled to avoid offence. There's a handful of episodes of Always Sunny In Philadelphia that got taken down for example, where the characters use blackface, and the whole point is even the other characters, who are all terrible people, realise how horrendously offensive it is. I'd still like to be able to see them. I think, as Stevo mentioned, that a warning that there's offensive language/slurs/outdated views or whatever beforehand is the best way to handle it.

On the other hand, platforms surely have the right to decide what they do and don't broadcast on their service, and I can absolutely see why they don't want the hassle.

Just now, Davkaus said:

On the other hand, platforms surely have the right to decide what they do and don't broadcast on their service, and I can absolutely see why they don't want the hassle.

Thats the point.There should not be any hassle. Here in Perth its gone really silly.You cant buy a gollywog anymore ( because of the name ) there is a native tree called a "black boy" because the bark is black.It is now a grass tree.

We need to stop all this sillyness before it really gets out of hand and people start banning 90% of whatever. 

The throwing of a banana at a black person is so ridiculous now I'm not even sure why it causes offence. A pal who is black was talking about it at work last week, an said he would just laugh at it. I remember, I think it was Thiago Silva got a banana thrown at him while he was taking a corner and he just picked it up and eat it. The people who do it are probably not even full on racists, they are just idiots with zero education.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

As for the Fawlty towers episode.At the time I had a good laugh,I find it sad that now its deadly serious and the episode had to be cut.The world is a sad place if you cant have a laugh.Before you say its not a laughing matter.I dont hear the Irish complaining about Irish jokes,I dont hear disabled people complaining about disabled people jokes ( one was on Vt not too long ago ) I dont hear blonds complaining about dumb blond jokes.

In other words,people make jokes about all subjects,its for a laugh,nothing else.

Birmingham police find an 8 year old boy wandering the streets at night.They take him to the station and the seargent says,right we are going to take you home to your mum.

The seargent says.Ok guys take hime to Villa park,because they cant beat anybody. 

Unless you really knew the person, if you made Irish jokes in front of an Irish person, or blonde jokes in front of a blonde, or disabled jokes in front of a disabled person the people who had to endure you would probably mainly just think you're a clearing in the woods. It's not always about 'offence'—people grow up and learn that some things are just not actually funny. Happily a lot of the human race has realised that some things from the past are a bit embarrassing...like gollywogs and racist jokes. You don't seem to have got there yet. 

Keep all the TV shows though. I don't agree with any of that. But you still can watch most things. 

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

A pal who is black was talking about it at work last week, an said he would just laugh at it. I remember, I think it was Thiago Silva got a banana thrown at him while he was taking a corner and he just picked it up and eat it.

I like to think I'd have the strength and confidence to laugh it off and take the piss out of the perpetrator as well, but it's a highly-visible deliberately racist gesture, targeted at an individual, "here you go, monkey, have a banana". It's easy to say you'd just laugh it off if you've never been a victim of discrimination, but I don't think we have the right to tell people how thick their skin needs to be.

It'd be a lot simpler for anyone who is the victim of abuse to just ignore it. It's easier said than done though. I'm sure you don't intend it, but the way you speak about these things almost makes it sound like you blame the person who takes offence more than the person who chucked a banana at him.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

The throwing of a banana at a black person is so ridiculous now I'm not even sure why it causes offence. A pal who is black was talking about it at work last week, an said he would just laugh at it. I remember, I think it was Thiago Silva got a banana thrown at him while he was taking a corner and he just picked it up and eat it. The people who do it are probably not even full on racists, they are just idiots with zero education.

I don't see throwing a banana at a black player any different to doing monkey chants.  I think there is a place for stereotypical jokes and comedy on TV and elsewhere but I don't see how throwing bananas as anything other than a deliberate attempt to upset and offend people for the sake of it.

• Like 1

On 29/09/2022 at 14:08, PussEKatt said:

I remember on "Faulty towers "  the major was telling Basil about when he took his ladyfriend to a cricket match between England and S.Afrika.

His ladyfriend said something about,those ni##ers

And the major said "Those are not ni##ers.Indians are ni##ers,those are Wo#s

you've butchered it

John Barnes back in the day diffused the racial tension his transfer brought to Liverpool by turning up at a team party dressed as a Klansman and not declaring it to be him for about 10 minutes watching people worrying that he was going to come through the front door at any time, fair play

The racist bastard has since rightly lost his job. Hopefully he'll spend his newly acquired time on his hands looking in the mirror and changing his ways, but I doubt it.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Shocked 1

3 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

What are you on about? 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

The racist bastard has since rightly lost his job. Hopefully he'll spend his newly acquired time on his hands looking in the mirror and changing his ways, but I doubt it.

Why can’t they just have a laugh and relax? 🙄

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â