Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

14 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

My two favorite players 😊

Have you watched the club Media Day video? Posted in the kit and team, personnel threads. Both of them happy and having a good laugh 😁

Gonna be awesome to have them back.

11 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

18 months? He was injured on day one of last season. That's 12 months and a couple of weeks before he is back in full training. The wrong side of 30? He's 31 in a time where some central defenders play into their 40s. It's 2024, not the 1980s. Also, as someone else said, he started professional football later than most. So that's why I'm confused that so many seemed utterly convinced that he will never recover. I'm not saying it's certain he will be 100% again, but it's a pretty good bet. Obviously you disagree. C'est la vie!

I don’t agree or disagree, have no idea if he can get back to the same kind of level, goes without saying I hope he can but it remains a valid concern and not something to be dismissive of.

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

I don’t agree or disagree, have no idea if he can get back to the same kind of level, goes without saying I hope he can but it remains a valid concern and not something to be dismissive of.

My worry is that he doesn't have to get back to the same level, he has to get back to a higher level. Similar challenge to Buendia, the club really moved forward whole they were injured, both play in key positions. I really hope both can have an impact, but I don't think it'd guaranteed personally. 

• Like 3

Think Mings will be fine provided he's fit. Cant see him being anything but genuinely joyed and excited to be back, able to learn and play under Emery and among the team. If the body is temperamental or not up to it, sure, he wont be up to it. If he is able to play, i see the team doing well defensively as the only roadblock to him featuring on field.

Edited by A'Villan

"It's a lonely time going in for surgeries and stuff, but you learn some key lessons through it. I've had three surgeries on this knee that is currently injured. It feels good. Everybody has experiences that they go through and how you bounce back from that and deal with that plays a big part in the path that you take."

Tyrone Mings lifts lid on 'lonely' Aston Villa nightmare ahead of return - Birmingham Live (birminghammail.co.uk)

Wow 3 surgeries. Hope he can come back close to where he was

Given the severity of his injury, his age, and his size, I fear that Tyrone will struggle to achieve the same performance level he had previously and will likely move on next summer. A long swan song with Villa this season will be great, though. He deserves the chance to prove me and every other doubter wrong. And he deserves all the affection that is coming his way over the next 10 months. Would love to see him line up as a starter at home in the CL against a weaker opponent. Would be emotional!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Doesn't say that this injury required 3 rounds of surgery, but that he has had 3 operations on the knee that is currently injured. That could include previous injuries to the knee. What is a little disconcerting is that he is still calling it his injured knee. The knee is no longer injured he's just out as he tries to bring his fitness up to the required levels. I remember when I had sa compound fracture I'd often refer to it as "my break" but the physio was at pains to correct me as it becomes a psychological barrier to see it as still injured. It shows how bad it was of a tear that he still refers to it as his injured knee, rather than 'this knee'.

10 minutes ago, peterw said:

Doesn't say that this injury required 3 rounds of surgery, but that he has had 3 operations on the knee that is currently injured. That could include previous injuries to the knee. What is a little disconcerting is that he is still calling it his injured knee. The knee is no longer injured he's just out as he tries to bring his fitness up to the required levels. I remember when I had sa compound fracture I'd often refer to it as "my break" but the physio was at pains to correct me as it becomes a psychological barrier to see it as still injured. It shows how bad it was of a tear that he still refers to it as his injured knee, rather than 'this knee'.

I read that as he's injured that knee before and required surgery and this is the third time.

38 minutes ago, peterw said:

No he injured the other knee last time he did his ACL. We checked that back when he injured it to see if that was a career over type issue. I think because he did more than his ACL they probably had to do the multiple surgeries and build up the knee 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

No he injured the other knee last time he did his ACL. We checked that back when he injured it to see if that was a career over type issue. I think because he did more than his ACL they probably had to do the multiple surgeries and build up the knee 

Yeah at Bournemouth it was his right knee and he tore his MCL and ACL and that was a 15 month process with multiple surgeries. I imagine this injury is similar.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Given the severity of his injury, his age, and his size, I fear that Tyrone will struggle to achieve the same performance level he had previously and will likely move on next summer. A long swan song with Villa this season will be great, though. He deserves the chance to prove me and every other doubter wrong. And he deserves all the affection that is coming his way over the next 10 months. Would love to see him line up as a starter at home in the CL against a weaker opponent. Would be emotional!

I don't think age will be a factor, he looks after himself and he's hardly had a busy career. He's played less than half the career games of someone like Tielemens for example and he is a good few years younger. The big question is  if the surgery has been successful. If so, I'm sure he can get back to as he was before. Whether thats good enough to oust Torres?

• Like 1

On 17/08/2024 at 08:23, cheltenham_villa said:

My worry is that he doesn't have to get back to the same level, he has to get back to a higher level. Similar challenge to Buendia, the club really moved forward whole they were injured, both play in key positions. I really hope both can have an impact, but I don't think it'd guaranteed personally. 

He was a pretty damn high level when he got hurt, maybe one step short of world class, and he was that one step short only because he has a mistake in him. He's still a better defender in the air than Pau. Against teams with an aerial threat, or teams that are otherwise very physical, he has to start ahead of Pau.

Against, say, Manchester City, a team with a lot of small technical players who press hard, yeah, I'd rather have Pau there to beat the press.

10 minutes ago, TomC said:

He was a pretty damn high level when he got hurt, maybe one step short of world class, and he was that one step short only because he has a mistake in him. He's still a better defender in the air than Pau. Against teams with an aerial threat, or teams that are otherwise very physical, he has to start ahead of Pau.

Against, say, Manchester City, a team with a lot of small technical players who press hard, yeah, I'd rather have Pau there to beat the press.

Harland?

Just now, mykeyb said:

Harland?

True, I forgot how Mings had Halaand in his pocket the first time he played against him.

But against the rest of them...

5 hours ago, peterw said:

I remember when I broke both my elbows in my late teens and how the psychological recovery was tougher and longer than the physical. It took a long time to feel comfortable enough to even carry a crate of beer. 

To be fair, they were 24 packs back then 😄

17 minutes ago, TomC said:

The only games he’s starting ahead of Pau whilst Emery is in charge is when Pau is being rested.

Torres is so key to how we play, it doesn’t matter one iota that Mings is better in the air.

It’s also a massive reason why we’ve just signed a hulking great 6”6 CM.

6 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

The only games he’s starting ahead of Pau whilst Emery is in charge is when Pau is being rested.

Torres is so key to how we play, it doesn’t matter one iota that Mings is better in the air.

It’s also a massive reason why we’ve just signed a hulking great 6”6 CM.

I disagree. Mings is not as good on the ball as Pau, but he's pretty good with it.

On 17/08/2024 at 22:09, Monkeypuzzle said:

18 months? He was injured on day one of last season. That's 12 months and a couple of weeks before he is back in full training. The wrong side of 30? He's 31 in a time where some central defenders play into their 40s. It's 2024, not the 1980s. Also, as someone else said, he started professional football later than most. So that's why I'm confused that so many seemed utterly convinced that he will never recover. I'm not saying it's certain he will be 100% again, but it's a pretty good bet. Obviously you disagree. C'est la vie!

He is 31. Whatever you want to say it is harder to recover from serious injuries the older you are (it is not impossible).

He has already done the other knee. Imbalances/weakness creep up. 

You say his position doesn't rely on pace but that is most definitely one of his advantages. Without it life would become difficult.

Its a complete unknown. However, to suggest its wild to think he doesn't get back to where he was is a bit disingenuous IMO. It often takes a lot of playing time to get back confidence and form and by that time he will be close to 32. Having said all that he seems like the kind of guy to make a full and miraculous recovery.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â