Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

It’s been clear for a while that Gerrard just doesn’t rate Mings. It’s probably best for all parties, particularly Tyrone, if a move is confirmed by the end of the window as the writing is obviously on the wall.

Let’s see who comes in for him…..

Pretty sure Mings will be here longer than Gerrard tbf.

No issue with Gerrard changing captain, that’s absolutely his right. But of all the things to do, stripping him of the captaincy *this week* and benching him for Bournemouth away shows abysmal man management which is worrying. Poor guy sat in the stands getting abuse with no chance to let his game do the talking.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The OS quoting Gerrard saying we have 3 leaders in the squad and Mings wasn’t one of them was awful too. He’s proper **** this. Especially with the leaderless performance today. 

Haven't seen that quote. But if he doesn't think Mings is a leader, I'd question his cognitive abilities. 

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Can't remember the exact game, but I specifically remember a game where we conceded a goal ( or 2 ) due to his mistake, and he spent the rest of the game determined to make up for.it.

He started forcefully driving forward and put in multiple balls which resulted in an assist as well as an equalising goal.

Then again, as you note, he was making up for his own wn mistakes 🤣

Was it Brighton? Where he chased the ball down to keep it in then scored off the rebound to seal the game?

• Like 1

IMO one of our major weaknesses from last season was we needed to be more competitive in the air and also needed to replace the failing midfield mix of McGinn/Ramsey and Coutinho.

Somehow the starting team has made us less competitive in the air (partly by removing Mings) and we've not sufficiently sorted out the midfield.

Questions need to be asked of why we have failed to resolve these glaring issues despite a whole pre-season to do so.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

He added more:

“When I asked if it was related to losing the #AVFC captaincy, Gerrard replied that it was ‘a little bit of that’ but also that he had a ‘niggle’. SG also said ‘we had enough quality on the pitch to win this game.”

Ah ok.

So there might be a bit of a slight " morale " tiff at hand but hopefully nothing too serious?

Hoping Tyrone gets over it quick and realise we still need him

7 minutes ago, Dale said:

Haven't seen that quote. But if he doesn't think Mings is a leader, I'd question his cognitive abilities. 

I think he actually said we have a " wider leadership group in the dressing room " which you assume Ming's is in.

I don't remember that being worded like that quote if I'm honest 

• Thanks 1

Tbf Ive never seen Ming's as a leader. A leader doesn't lose the head the way he does when he makes a mistake. Also, it's interesting when the going got tough in Smith's last few games he dropped him. I don't think he's good with adversity.

One thing is sure though, he's the only player we have who is commanding in the air and better than Konsa so we are in a right shit position if this is a falling out.

Edited by villanmac
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

12 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Pretty sure Mings will be here longer than Gerrard tbf.

No issue with Gerrard changing captain, that’s absolutely his right. But of all the things to do, stripping him of the captaincy *this week* and benching him for Bournemouth away shows abysmal man management which is worrying. Poor guy sat in the stands getting abuse with no chance to let his game do the talking.

Completely agree. My worry is that Mings may well be more respected in the dressing room than Gerrard, and this double insult was perhaps an assertion of power. The team don't look like they really believe in what they are being told to do. There were all kinds of mitigating circumstances first game of last season to lose to a terrible promoted team, there are none this time around.

Edited by AvonVillain
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, villanmac said:

Tbf Ive never seen Ming's as a leader. A leader doesn't lose the head the way he does when he makes a mistake. Also, it's interesting when the going got tough in Smith's last few games he dropped him. I don't think he's good with adversity.

One thing is sure though, he's the only player we have who is commanding in the air and better than Konsa so we are in a right shit position if this is a falling out.

The best captain in the history of the Premier League once got himself sent off after 38 seconds.

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Now it’s bugging me. I can’t remember which game but I know what you’re talking about, lol.

He didn't score but ran down the left wing and stuck a cross in for Trezeguets equaliser against Fulham at home in the 3-1 win (a few mins after dropping a howler to let Mitrovic put them ahead)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, villanmac said:

He didn't score but ran down the left wing and stuck a cross in for Trezeguets equaliser against Fulham at home in the 3-1 win (a few mins after dropping a howler to let Mitrovic put them ahead)

Ohhhhh I think that’s the one. 

33 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I'm sorry, today was unacceptable all around, but exactly what game have you seen where Tyrone has singlehandedly driven us forward to try and force something? He's often the weak link in these types of games so that's just nonsense to me

Fulham? An assist at the death to get tge game equalised. Which led to a winner. Plenty of other games as well

15 minutes ago, a m ole said:

The best captain in the history of the Premier League once got himself sent off after 38 seconds.

Zidane headbutted someone but has gone on to be arguably the best manager of his generation. Was captain for France and Madrid arguably the 2 best teams at the time of his playing. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Now it’s bugging me. I can’t remember which game but I know what you’re talking about, lol.

Wasn’t it Fulham at home. He underplayed a back pass leading to them scoring. Mings then drove the ball up the pitch and set up a goal at the other end.

Edited by WallisFrizz
I am so slow to respond.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Zidane headbutted someone but has gone on to be arguably the best manager of his generation. Was captain for France and Madrid arguably the 2 best teams at the time of his playing. 

I'm talking about losing the head in terms of your play after a mistake. Ive seen him make an error and then go to pot positionally and in terms of his decision making as a defender.

I'm not talking about him occasionally stamping on people's heads.

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

He is at least attracting some good players to the club. If he does fail, hopefully we will have a squad of players that may just attract a higher calibre of manager.

If Villa struggle this season, he’ll have a hard time recruiting players. Few will want to come to a club in trouble, no matter how legendary the manager was back when he still played.

Â