Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

20 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Words from Gerrard that would suggest he isn't starting.

Felt like Mings won about 70% of everything aerially in our penalty area. If you're dropping him, you best be sure the rest of team are ready to battle at set pieces.

I think this is quite an unfair characterisation of how Mings played under Gerrard. For some periods he was our best performer under Gerrard. I think we all know that Gerrard didn't fancy him for whatever reason from day one, so I would forgive Tyrone for feeling ill treated, as I think most on here think he has been too (in relation to captaincy). 

Carlos may not be the player we all expect him to be yet. Alienating the other defensive leader even if you don't fancy them may not be the wisest move. Not that a lack of wisdom comes as a surprise to me. 

• Like 1

Mings has been fantastic for us.  But fwiw i do think he is behind Chambers and Carlos in form. Chambers hasnt put a foot wrong and Carlos is self evidently a Champions league standard CB.

Tbh I was alarmed at some of Tyrone's performances in pre season. And a couple of revenge tackles he did against Walsall & Leeds would have been reds in a regular game. he seemed to lose his head, as captain, during pre season.  Not good.

Its why I vibe with Gerrard taking him out of the firing line. I genuinely think Tyrone needs a rest and be a sub for a while. I dont mean that in a "his career is over" way either. I mean it in a "I want to see Tyrone come back stronger and more assured" way.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Konsa's performances were not great last year and he got a serious injury and hasn't played a competitive game since injury, all he has had is a bit part role in preseason. I can't see him starting. I think it would be poor management not to start Mings. Losing captaincy and against his former team and the first game of the season would be a bit of a kick in the teeth and I don't think SG will do this nor does Mings deserve it. As well as Chambers is playing, I think he should start on the bench

Agreed. Like I said, I wouldn't be against Chambers starting, you can't say he hasn't earned it (arguably he should have never been dropped when Konsa became fit/unsuspended last season). But even if you're ultimately planning on phasing Mings out, at least let him lose the shirt on his own. Thing is, I really think he's going to drop him based on his comments. Seems like he's already decided.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Agreed. Like I said, I wouldn't be against Chambers starting, you can't say he hasn't earned it (arguably he should have never been dropped when Konsa became fit/unsuspended last season). But even if you're ultimately planning on phasing Mings out, at least let him lose the shirt on his own. Thing is, I really think he's going to drop him based on his comments. Seems like he's already decided.

I agree with most of that but I think he will start tomorrow (unless we are in the middle of agreeing a transfer that hasn't hit social media). Bournemouth's attack is weak and they are not going to be playing through us. We need height in the box for the long balls in (which there will be many) and this is what Mings is good at. He will be a positive addition to our team tomorrow. I would also like to see him and Carlos together. They me be the CB dream team.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Konsa's performances were not great last year and he got a serious injury and hasn't played a competitive game since injury, all he has had is a bit part role in preseason. I can't see him starting. I think it would be poor management not to start Mings. Losing captaincy and against his former team and the first game of the season would be a bit of a kick in the teeth and I don't think SG will do this nor does Mings deserve it. As well as Chambers is playing, I think he should start on the bench

MIngs played 180 minutes in pre season and Konsa 155

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree with most of that but I think he will start tomorrow (unless we are in the middle of agreeing a transfer that hasn't hit social media). Bournemouth's attack is weak and they are not going to be playing through us. We need height in the box for the long balls in (which there will be many) and this is what Mings is good at. He will be a positive addition to our team tomorrow. I would also like to see him and Carlos together. They me be the CB dream team.

Mine too. He'd be crazy not to try the two of them together. They seem like they'd go together like peanut butter and jelly.

• Like 1

As I said in transfer thread, if he doesnt start first couple of games I can see him leaving by the end of the window which would be a shame/disgrace

He has a World Cup place to think of

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

MIngs played 180 minutes in pre season and Konsa 155

I know, it is still a bit part role, the difference between them is that Konsa is just returning from injury and Mings isn't. Its a long time since Konsa played a competitive game of football

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

As I said in transfer thread, if he doesnt start first couple of games I can see him leaving by the end of the window which would be a shame/disgrace

I would completely understand it from a financial perspective, we will get more money in this window than we would ever get for Mings so if we are going to sell, now is the time. If there are no opportunities to sell him on the cards I expect he will start tomorrow

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

So we should sell him to sit on a Sky 6 bench so he gets called up?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Get the feeling if Newcastle come in with 40 million he will be off loaded.

I can also see Newcastle putting in that offer.

They got Botman, Lascelles, Burn, Schär, (Fernandez, Watts) already. Are they in the market for another one in the age bracket that Mings is?

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

It would be a shame because he’s a top defender. 

It would be a disgrace because Steven Gerrard is the manager.

I don’t think he’s going anywhere but if he is then now is probably the best time to make some good money from a sale.

20 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Can you imagine the u-turn from their fanbase? He’s go from s*** to World Class, and England’s best defender literally overnight!

12 minutes ago, Enda said:

On the bench behind Konsa and Big DC.

Be interesting to see how he responds.

I'd be leaving. It's been clear from day one that Gerrard did not like him (caretaker captain was announced, strangely, I think before Gerrard's first game). It does feel personal. 

My speculation is that Gerrard didn't want an articulate outspoken leader who asks too many questions in a senior position. If that is the case his loss, and ours. My impression from our rigidity last season is that Gerrard is as stubborn as MON, and not as open to change/progression as Dean was - I doubt that he would bring in senior players into conversation about approach, more directive than inclusive leadership which is a big change. 

• Like 1

I don't think it's necessarily personal. 

I'd have given Mings the start today but if we're being honest he makes a lot of mistakes which cost us points. 

It may well just be that rather than any other nefarious factors. 

Another kick in the teeth for Ty though after a tough summer. Feel for him.

3 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Not with 2 left footed centre halves there already. And i genuinely think he would turn them down even if they did. Not his kind of regime

Â