Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Its more to do with the other Premier League captains than anything else. Is only 2 other black captains and one is a kid at Bournemouth and then Lascelles who I have never heard speak

I think it is a coincidence, but fwiw I also think PL captains could use more diversity to reflect the players more. That goes double for managers. It seems to be happening over time, but its sure taking a while.

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I’d still like to see Ty lineup next to Carlos. He has all the attributes and helps us so much - it’s just about bringing the best out of him and keeping him focussed/concentrated. He’s still a really valuable member of our squad and has served us so well…

Remember how delighted we were when we managed to sign him after getting promoted?

Euphoric times…

I think it would actually be good man management if gerrard started him tomorrow. Probably would give him a bit of a boost after losing captaincy.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

I think it would actually be good man management if gerrard started him tomorrow. Probably would give him a bit of a boost after losing captaincy.

I'd go a step further and say that even given the presence of Carlos, the preseason form of Chambers and the possible resurgence of Konsa...

... Mings is still a starter. To this point in time, we play better with him in the team than we do without.

• Like 3

Mings only has 2 years left on his contract so I assume his performances this season will be key to any extension. He's not 30 until next year so has another 5 years as a Premier League regular left at least.

I think we'll see an uptick in his performances this season for a few reasons. Firstly is unburdened by the Captaincy means he can focus solely on his game. Next is the introduction of Carlos and Kamara means he's not required to play out from the back as much as he was last season. Finally with competition for places and a top CB partner and CDM alongside him he will be more focused in games and that will lead to fewer mistakes. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Zatman said:

Its more to do with the other Premier League captains than anything else. Is only 2 other black captains and one is a kid at Bournemouth and then Lascelles who I have never heard speak

So you reckon captains voted without speaking to teammates and their clubs first ?

Or McGinn wouldn’t have spoken to Mings about it at all?

Must be a hell of a elephant in the room at training every day. 

Sorry if I’ve misunderstood what you’re trying to say.

Interesting conversation on the radio last night. 

Apparently Connor Coady will be angling for a move if he doesn't start. He desperately wants to the go the World Cup.

I think it might be the same with Mings, he needs to be the first name on our team sheet if he has ANY chance to going to the World Cup. For both, at their age it's like the only World Cup they'll ever have a chance of going to.

• Like 1

Gerrard said that removing the captaincy from Ty was in order to free him up from this responsibility so he could focus on playing. To then not let him play and prove this theory would be kinda mean and a wee bit sneaky imho

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Apparently Connor Coady will be angling for a move if he doesn't start. He desperately wants to the go the World Cup.

I think it might be the same with Mings, he needs to be the first name on our team sheet if he has ANY chance to going to the World Cup. For both, at their age it's like the only World Cup they'll ever have a chance of going to.

Mings could play all 38 league games and keep 38 clean sheets and Southgate still wouldn't pick him.

35 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Sit on the bench for your club or sit on the bench for your country. A modern football dilemma.

28 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Mings could play all 38 league games and keep 38 clean sheets and Southgate still wouldn't pick him.

Some left footed kid from United who played in a 3-0 Carabao Cup loss to Burton Albion would be ahead of Mings in Southgate world if he had a chance

Words from Gerrard that would suggest he isn't starting.

“He’s been slightly quieter and I’m sure it’s still a little bit raw, and that he’s still a little bit disappointed by my decision, which I accept,” he said. “I’m hoping that maybe a little bit less focus on him can help him get back to his consistent best. If he does then I’m really looking forward to seeing that player because that [player] certainly pushes to be in this XI.”

Felt like Mings won about 70% of everything aerially in our penalty area. If you're dropping him, you best be sure the rest of team are ready to battle at set pieces.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I can accept maybe Chambers starting ahead of him as he's been consistently good (alongside Mings) when he joined. But Konsa? Based on their performances last season? Absolutely no way.

Very fair.

Making a call on ability IMO.

Konsa is brilliant but was shocking last year, no argument. Hoping Carlos being the ball player but also super composed on the ball will elevate him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I can accept maybe Chambers starting ahead of him as he's been consistently good (alongside Mings) when he joined. But Konsa? Based on their performances last season? Absolutely no way.

Konsa's performances were not great last year and he got a serious injury and hasn't played a competitive game since injury, all he has had is a bit part role in preseason. I can't see him starting. I think it would be poor management not to start Mings. Losing captaincy and against his former team and the first game of the season would be a bit of a kick in the teeth and I don't think SG will do this nor does Mings deserve it. As well as Chambers is playing, I think he should start on the bench

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo
  • Like 1

Â