Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I actually think it's the beginning of the end for Ming's at Villa. Both Carlos and Chambers are Gerrard signing's and probably the two he sees as his pair at CB long term. I don't see Ming's happy playing second fiddle from the bench.   

And that'd be our loss tbh. He's at an age where if he still wants to be playing for England and we're not offering first team football he may as well go to West Ham or something, probably finish above us in the league and start every game. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dale said:

And that'd be our loss tbh. He's at an age where if he still wants to be playing for England and we're not offering first team football he may as well go to West Ham or something, probably finish above us in the league and start every game. 

I wouldn't blame him. You wouldn't want to go from captain to bench warmer. I'm sure nobody would.

8 hours ago, TRO said:

I see your point...but someone has to wear the badge, for responsibility to be apportioned correctly.

I think it ( leadership) tends to stand out in a group of young men, and that will manifest itself during training, and day to day activity.

The boss will simply analysis the interaction among them, and factor in  an element of intelligence, of players who can carry and distribute instruction effectively.

I don't envisage a captain being appointed who is not popular with the men....that would be counterproductive.

so my point is....it should in theory, be an easy choice for the manager.

That's sort of my point. Captains don't really need appointing, they do it anyway. So why bother changing it? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I actually think it's the beginning of the end for Ming's at Villa. Both Carlos and Chambers are Gerrard signing's and probably the two he sees as his pair at CB long term. I don't see Ming's happy playing second fiddle from the bench.   

I can see your point but Gerrard has hardly started chambers when given the chance. He very much played a supporting role last season. Would be odd to see him suddenly first choice.

1 minute ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I can see your point but Gerrard has hardly started chambers when given the chance. He very much played a supporting role last season. Would be odd to see him suddenly first choice.

I think Chambers is arguably a best ball playing CB we have tbh. Maybe Carlos will be better but Chambers, even though not played as much has been superb when in the team. Maybe this is the reason Ming's lost the captaincy? I'm just speculating.  

• Like 1

Just now, avfc1982am said:

I think Chambers is arguably a best ball playing CB we have tbh. Maybe Carlos will be better but Chambers, even though not played as much has been superb when in the team. Maybe this is the reason Ming's lost the captaincy? I'm just speculating.  

I don't disagree, I thought chambers looked excellent. Gerrard definitely played him as a back up centre half though which is why I'd be surprised to see that change.

1 minute ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I don't disagree, I thought chambers looked excellent. Gerrard definitely played him as a back up centre half though which is why I'd be surprised to see that change.

I wouldn't be surprised. Not now anyway. 

4 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I agree actually re last season but thinking that he has been a bit iffy pre season and not an automatic starter. I don’t think Gerrard has fancied him since the moment he stepped in the door.

Funny thing is a lot of fans feel the same way about Gerrard since he came in 😛

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair, those stats might be a bit misleading in this context.

Those are all defensive stats, he's been our main defender, Konsa was the other one.

You wouldn't expect it to be Ollie Watkins or Cash with those stats would you?

So when it says " Most " he's realistically only competing with Konsa and Chambers. lol

EDIT: Aside from the passes completed.

Wasnt McGinn making 34 passes a game which is frankly embarrassing for a centre midfielder

1 hour ago, Jonesy7211 said:

This is very disappointing in my opinion. Anyone who's ever heard his appearances on podcasts and in depth interviews would surely mark him out as a very positive character and a very decent man. After some of the idiots we've had as Captain in recent years he's been a great example of a leader.

I only hope this doesn't lead to him being moved on. He does have the odd blip but you don't become a regular in the England squad whilst playing for Villa unless you're a good player with the right character.

He goes hand in hand with the upwards trajectory of the club since he joined.

I am also disappointed but could you name the captains that you are categorising as ‘idiots’ please?

Aside from Jack who was most definitely a moron in an academic sense. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Wasnt McGinn making 34 passes a game which is frankly embarrassing for a centre midfielder

38 per 90. Our big issue is McGinn and Ramsey don't show for the ball when we have it. Which means we can never keep possession it's like we've never worked on it. It's insane. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I am also disappointed but could you name the captains that you are categorising as ‘idiots’ please?

Aside from Jack who was most definitely a moron in an academic sense. 

Gabby probably also doesn't top the IQ charts

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Joshie2000 said:

Or maybe our manager has more experience than you, knows more about footballers, sees the players day in and day out, plus was an unreal captain himself. 

I love how we have so many fully qualified coaches and managers that are fans, shame that playing fifa means nothing in the real world of top level professional football. 

TY can now concentrate on his own game, instead of having to carry konsa, hause and at times last season Chambers. 

Ginny I think will be a great captain, he must have something about him to be a leader considering he captains his country also, so I'd rather trust a national team manager and our manager than our thousand of fifa22 managers that wouldn't have a clue about running a Premier league team. 

This is a football forum. If we deferred to the manager's opinion on everything because he sees them in training and was a top player and whatever other nonsense, there would be nothing to talk about. Are you going to express any opinions that run contrary to the manager, or have you just come here to say you agree with everything SG does?

• Like 1

I cannot believe he's took it off Mings to give it to McGinn...but if there's one man in the squad who Mings I think would accept taking it, it's McGinn.

He's been here longer, and has been part of our rise alongside Mings. IMO he wouldn't have liked it at all if it was Emi or god forbid Carlos.

He does need to focus on his game. It's the only thing he needs to do. Defend. Head it. Pass it to Carlos.

McGinn shouldn't be in the team, so giving it to him is just so mad.

• Haha 1

Handling this like the total pro that he is. His tweet was classy and strategic to get out in front of it and squash any controversy (as best he could). 

I'm hoping that between his no longer being captain and Carlos being the top CB, he can enjoy himself more and as a result, improve his play.

• Like 2

Â