Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

It's  great reading  all these comments. For various reasons I get to see far fewer games than I used to, particularly in our Championshop days. 

For those that have watched him all season (and his story this season is pretty excellent) , where do you think he stands in the pantheon of our great CBs? Up there with prime Laursen yet? It feels he also adds more off the pitch, which maybe raises him up a notch or two in my estimation 

Edited by one_ian_taylor

6 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

It's  great reading  all these comments. For various reasons I get to see far fewer games than I used to, particularly in our Championshop days. 

For those that have watched him all season (and his story this season is pretty excellent) , where do you think he stands in the pantheon of our great CBs? Up there with prime Laursen yet? It feels he also adds more off the pitch, which maybe raises him up a notch or two in my estimation 

He had a dodgy spell, made some bad errors but overall he's been brilliant. Dropped from England and captaincy but I think it's made him more determined. He's been immense this season, one of our best defenders in recent years anyway. Still more to come too

57 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Really hope he retires here, already on the level of Laursen/Mellberg of being a club icon, imo. Puts everything on the line for Villa: vividly remember how he got injured near the closing end of the playoff finals but carried on seemingly out of sheer willpower. Pretty sure you could hear him screaming once or twice as he kept on making his trademark blocks regardless.

Back to the present, he's been an absolute monster for months now. If he doesn't get an England callup....

I think he's above Laursen for me. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

I think looking at it gives you an appreciation of how many good ones we've had

He's top 5 for me, probably 4th behind god, Laursen and mellberg but could probably end up 2nd on my list

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I have to admit i was stunned they didnt send him off.  I thought yellow was correct as he got the ball.  But usually at anfield those always go against the away team

I think he was trying to withdraw his leg too and the angle of his leg wasn’t egregiously high. Had he followed through, I think it should’ve been a red. 

But colossus for the rest of the match and really red their cutback to the penalty spot well. Counted about two or three of those where he read it perfectly. 

Awful challenge, could’ve killed the lad if he put his head down, worst challenge I’ve ever seen at Anfield, shoot him

God, I love you Tyrone

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I think he's above Laursen for me. 

Ditto.  In my time as a Villa fan (late 80s/early 90s onwards) I’d have a list of maybe half a dozen centre halves who are in the absolute top tier.  I’ll say McGrath, Ehiogu, Southgate, Mellberg, Laursen and Mings make that list.

A lot of people like to hate on Southgate because of how he left but he was magnificent for us on the pitch for six seasons.  Mings has now been here for four and a half.  We wouldn’t have been promoted without him, we wouldn’t have stayed up without him and he’s now demonstrating he belongs at the top end of the table, it’s been a hell of a journey and he’s been there every step of the way.  That’s why I’d put him ahead of Laursen whose time here is as much defined by long periods of injury as it is by heroic performances on it.  That might be harsh on Laursen but Mings has been Mr Reliability. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

He had a dodgy spell, made some bad errors but overall he's been brilliant. Dropped from England and captaincy but I think it's made him more determined. He's been immense this season, one of our best defenders in recent years anyway. Still more to come too

Did he? He’s made mistakes as had everyone else, but he’s still our most consistent performer 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Did he? He’s made mistakes as had everyone else, but he’s still our most consistent performer 

Of course, I wasn't pulling him up I was just giving poster my general overview. This season he has been immense

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Not sure the fuss about his performance Mings is mainly being Mings since he got here

It's because we're playing well as a team. When we're not, every goal is hyper analysed, and he's always the first casualty.

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

Not sure the fuss about his performance Mings is mainly being Mings since he got here

I'd agree with this but he was always a little rough around the edges for want of a better term, those little issues have seemingly been ironed out now

Edit: He's been colossal since he's been here but hit new heights the last 10/15 games

Edited by MSvillain

Â