Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

23 hours ago, KentVillan said:

It definitely was the wrong place to head the ball.

But the cross was smashed in from inside the area, and he didn't have much option but to get a firm head on it. I think a lot of decent CBs would have made the same mistake in that situation.

Other players should be reacting quicker to the second ball there.

Not saying Mings is the best CB in the world, but I don't think our defensive problems are going to be fixed by having better CBs. It's more the way the whole team defends as a unit, and tbh our full backs are a bigger concern than our CBs at the moment.

They might not be totally fixed, but there will be less defensive problems that what we have right now.

On 18/02/2023 at 15:26, HeyAnty said:

Ah yes, mings was Sh1t because Konsa was sh1t.  Neither the two are good players.  You cant have a CB who is brilliant one min then has a massive brain fart the next.  Will be sold if Emery wants to push on for Europe

Haven't we had enough deflections this season?

5 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

The reality is he isn't good enough if we are going to try for European football. He has to be replaced in the summer.

Guess it depends on whose reality one lives in. Emerys reality is he’s good enough to be given a 3.5 year extension.

Edited by Aston_Villan4
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

The reality is he isn't good enough if we are going to try for European football. He has to be replaced in the summer.

There are maybe 3 defenders out if the sky 6 that are as good or better than him in the prem. Find it rather ridiculous to say that about mings tbh. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Guess it depends on whose reality one lives in. Emerys reality is he’s good enough to be given a 3.5 year extension.

Perhaps they just want to ensure they get a fee for him in a year or so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Are we really talking about reality? Well the reality is he isn't good enough. Answer this, how do Aston Villa progress from mid to lower league obscurity? By keeping the same players year after year? How do we improve and who is the weak link? When will reality dawn on fans that the players that are at the club in general are not good enough to match the owners ambition?

57 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

There are maybe 3 defenders out if the sky 6 that are as good or better than him in the prem. Find it rather ridiculous to say that about mings tbh. 

Really ? You think Mings can't be improved upon? you don't think that he plays in exactly one of the positions where we are weakest? We need to get rid of those players who got us promoted. They are not good enough to take us where the owners want to go.

Edited by Wurzel

39 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Are we really talking about reality? Well the reality is he isn't good enough. Answer this, how do Aston Villa progress from mid to lower league obscurity? By keeping the same players year after year? How do we improve and who is the weak link? When will reality dawn on fans that the players that are at the club in general are not good enough to match the owners ambition?

Yeah but why single out Mings for urgent replacement when he clearly isn’t the main problem.

The sensible move is to keep him and add quality to compete with him. The top sides have 4 or 5 decent CBs in their squad. You really think Mings isn’t good enough to be one of those options?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Yeah but why single out Mings for urgent replacement when he clearly isn’t the main problem.

The sensible move is to keep him and add quality to compete with him. The top sides have 4 or 5 decent CBs in their squad. You really think Mings isn’t good enough to be one of those options?

Probably because this is the Tyrone Mings thread.

For what its worth, I think he's been quite poor this season. He's still probably our best defender from the old batch but that's more indicative of how poor our other defenders are than him being good. Him, Konsa and Cash cannot be regularly starting for us anymore if we're serious about getting to Europe. Jury's still out on Carlos and Moreno and Young surely isn' a long term option.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Konsa is the one that is clearly the problem yet his thread never gets bumped after a loss

• Like 3

5 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I'm not, his position is the most urgent to be improved. I would keep him as a decent backup for the main two. I am pleased he got a contract but he is not the future. We concede far too many goals and the defence is just not good enough.

This forum is in dreamworld sometimes. The starting CBs of other teams this weekend below. Of the 38, there's about 5 or 6 I would rate higher than Mings.

ARS: Saliba, Gabriel

BHA: Dunk, Webster

BOU: Stephens, Senesi

BRE: Mee, Pinnock

CHE: Badiashile, Koulibaily

CRY: Andersen, Guehi

EVE: Tarkowski, Coady

FUL: Diop, Ream

LEE: Koch, Wöber

LEI: Souttar, Faes

LIV: Gomez, van Dijk

MCI: Dias, Laporte (and Walker)

MUN: Martinez, Lindelöf

NEW: Botman, Schär

NFO: Felipe. Worrall

SOU: Bednarek, Bella-Kotchap

TOT: Lenglet, Dier, Romero

WHU: Kehrer, Ogbonna, Aguerd

WOL: Kilman, Dawson

• Like 3

Mings is a very good CB. Let's see how he gets on with Carlos. Also when we have the 3rd RCB/RB it will be a different story in terms of our defence. We will have players better equipped to play out from the back and we'll have a better defensive 5, with the 3 CBs and two 6s. 

The same issues we had under Gerrard are showing again, we don't have the players comfortable and confident enough to play out from the back at the level required. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Konsa is the one that is clearly the problem yet his thread never gets bumped after a loss

Konsa is just flat out not good enough a defender. Mings is a better player, but is more likely to make a mistake leading to a goal. I really hope that we're wtaching an entirely new and more capable central pairing for the majority of next season. If It's Konsa and Mings again, 11th or lower will be where we finish again.

12 minutes ago, Risso said:

Konsa is just flat out not good enough a defender. Mings is a better player, but is more likely to make a mistake leading to a goal. I really hope that we're wtaching an entirely new and more capable central pairing for the majority of next season. If It's Konsa and Mings again, 11th or lower will be where we finish again.

I think the club is waiting to see the Carlos situation before buying a new centre back. I expect if everything is ok that Carlos/Mings will be starting the opening game of next season

• Like 2

Â